• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
It's coming up to that time again when some of our players will be treading treacle. It's happened badly the last 2 seasons because of small squad, suspensions and injuries, meaning some players played a lot of games.
The midfielders get through the most running, so I would rest Timlin and Atkinson and give a chance to Laird and Conor Clifford. Laird has always been a plus to the side. He's already been outed as the fittest at the club by Phil Brown. He's unlucky not to be in the side for me, as I see him as a Division one player at least. CC has stopped doing those silly 2 footed tackles and looks better for it. He still wins the ball, but more fairly.
Timlin, Atkinson and Corr were the most knackered against Dagenham, so a very good time to give them a rest, even if it's just for the Newport game. 3 games in one week is too much for some players.
Do you agree, disagree?
Would you rest anyone, and who?

Can't disagree with any of that. Would certainly like to see Laird back in the mix and Clifford could also do with a game. Barney in for Corr is a wise move too.

Difficult though as we don't want to upset the balance too much and Brown likes continuity. Would like to see what Gomis can do at some point too.

Can't disagree with any of that. Would certainly like to see Laird back in the mix and Clifford could also do with a game. Barney in for Corr is a wise move too.

Difficult though as we don't want to upset the balance too much and Brown likes continuity. Would like to see what Gomis can do at some point too.

Continuity is best when players are all fit. Good shout with Gomis. Perhaps Laird and Gomis then. I think Barnard for Corr is a given Friday, especially after hearing about Corr's knees.

It's nice to have a selection headache for a change though isn't it :thumbsup:

Agree with the midfield changes, but I would start with Fred up front. Two reasons, it would maybe kill the 'is he fit' debate as it would be obvious one way or another, and it would give the midfielders something to target on the ground rather than the BBBC approach.

Difficult one. If Corr is rested, is there any point playing 4 3 3? I would possibly revert to 4 4 2. Barney and Eastwood up front.
Straker should be okay as he has been subbed a few times. Hurst on the right. Laird and Leonard in the middle for me.

I wonder how Hurst would get on as a striker in a 4 4 2? He is probably clever enough and has a good finish.

Difficult one. If Corr is rested, is there any point playing 4 3 3? I would possibly revert to 4 4 2. Barney and Eastwood up front.
Straker should be okay as he has been subbed a few times. Hurst on the right. Laird and Leonard in the middle for me.

I wonder how Hurst would get on as a striker in a 4 4 2? He is probably clever enough and has a good finish.

Thats a good point. Not sure Brown will switch to 442 as its got us where we are, but there would be a very good reason to give it a go.

No to Hurst though, he is our most creative player so wouldnt want to take that out of the midfield.

Team for Friday,

Bentley

White/Thompson Phillips Prosser Coker

Hurst Laird Leonard Bedsante Straker

Eastwood/Barney

Certain players Tuesday looked like they needed a rest. Corr Timlin and Atkinson for me

Corr, Atkinson & Leonard out.

Barnard, Eastwood and Laird in

Bentley

White Prosser Phillips Coker

Hurst Laird Timlin Straker

Eastwood Barnard

Possibly also Clifford in for Straker/Timlin with Timlin out wide potentially.

We've been really lucky with a lack of fixture congestion and lack of injuries. A few changes might encourage competition for places.

we're very well placed for a late-season run whilst those around us drop away.

Changes should have made Tuesday IMO ... some fresh faces in the midfield/attacking area are plentiful and weve got a very strong bench so the likes of Laird/Clifford/Woodward could have been afforded a start ... im not sure what the chances of tomorrows game being on are but a change or two is certainly needed!

Seem to remember that Luggy enjoyed bluffing about his tactics, could PB be doing the same when he says that he's "not tinkering with systems and not tinkering with players?" We shall see tomorrow.

Never really hope for a postponement, but in these conditions, and the three games in 6 days, maybe it wouldn't be that bad if it was called off.

Wouldn't change anything. Realise a decision to be made at right back. The players have 8 days until the next game, with a strong bench why change the starting line up, which has served so well since Christmas. Don't think Brown will make changes for changes sake.

Smith
Auger Phillips Thompson Bennett
Laird
Payne Clifford Gomis
Eastwood Barnard

Bentley
O'Neill White Prosser Coker
Hurst Timlin Atkinson Leonard Straker
Corr
just having a bit of fun, but the reserve side would be at least mid-table L2 i reckon...not too many weak links in the squad now

Last edited:
The Gomis is situation is weird. We're well represented in midfield already, but this lad has been hanging around all season until we could get him signed up. With that considered I'd have had money on him being a bit special, or surely we'd have let him go somewhere else. However as soon as he's registered and can play, he can't get a game.

Wouldn't change anything. Realise a decision to be made at right back. The players have 8 days until the next game, with a strong bench why change the starting line up, which has served so well since Christmas. Don't think Brown will make changes for changes sake.

Christ! someone I agree with.................well, not 100%............I'm pretty sure White will be brought back into the side. If Corr is fit enough to start, I'm sure he will, if not it may have to be Freddy.

Back