• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Labour Admits Mistakes, Finally

Welcome as they are, personally I wouldn't get to carried away by one quarter's growth figures.I certainly haven't seen much sign of growth in France or Spain recently.

I think we gave Calais back a long time ago, and despite what you may read in the local papers Gibraltar isn't Spanish, so I'm not entirely sure how you are holding Cameron and the Conservatives responsible for the lack of growth in France and Spain. Still, I'll wait for the Grauniad article correcting me.

Which house would you like, Barna? By your logic you think House A is the best option.

I'm quite happy with House C, which is the town house I've owned (jointly with my wife), since 1986.Thanks.:smiles:

I think we gave Calais back a long time ago, and despite what you may read in the local papers Gibraltar isn't Spanish, so I'm not entirely sure how you are holding Cameron and the Conservatives responsible for the lack of growth in France and Spain. Still, I'll wait for the Grauniad article correcting me.

I was quite clearly commenting on GHG's remark about the improved growth in the Eurozone over the last quarter (0.3%) rather than the UK's own improved growth figure (of 0.6%) in the same period.

Frances growth is on the up but why let facts get in the way of bolitics.

As I suggested to GHG, personally,I wouldn't get carried too away over one quarter's growth figures (welcome as they are).I'd suggest you wait at least until the next quarter's figures are released,then you might be able to see a trend emerging.
Meanwhile, I can certainly quote you, (admittedly anecdotal evidence),from my wife's relatives (many of whom work for leading French companies),to the effect that there has not yet been the sort of growth in France that everybody is hoping for.

Last edited:
I was quite clearly commenting on GHG's remark about the improved growth in the Eurozone over the last quarter (0.3%) rather than the UK's own improved growth figure (of 0.6%) in the same period.

Apologies, I didn't realise you were arguing that the UK economy was outperforming it's neighbours and that Cameron/Osborne were therefore doing a good job.

Apologies, I didn't realise you were arguing that the UK economy was outperforming it's neighbours and that Cameron/Osborne were therefore doing a good job.

Ha! It would be an act of economic illiteracy, on a par with Pubey's recent description of Spain as "bankrupt," (FYI,Pubey,Spain is in a recession like the UK,it's Detroit that's bankrupt),to compare growth rates in the huge labour market that is the Eurozone, with those in the UK.
As I'm sure you're aware, figures for the last quarter in both the UK and the Eurozone can and might well be revised, either upwards or downwards, in the next quarter.It is also salutory to remember that over 50% of the UK's foreign trade is with Eurozone countries.

Ha! It would be an act of economic illiteracy, on a par with Pubey's recent description of Spain as "bankrupt," (FYI,Pubey,Spain is in a recession like the UK,it's Detroit that's bankrupt),to compare growth rates in the huge labour market that is the Eurozone, with those in the UK.

Err Uk is not is not in a recession unlike Spain (I think you were previously stating that the UK was going was going to end up in a triple dip recession which didn't happen, oh and the IMF forecasts that you love have progressively upgraded the UK growth forecasts)

Out of interest do you have any views of your own other than Keynes, Muslow or The Guardian? Oh and the fact apparently you teach Economics and business studies ( I could be wrong, so please correct me) Can i ask what business have you ever run?

Err Uk is not is not in a recession unlike Spain (I think you were previously stating that the UK was going was going to end up in a triple dip recession which didn't happen, oh and the IMF forecasts that you love have progressively upgraded the UK growth forecasts)

Technically, you're correct that the UK is not in a recession ,since there has been (minimal) growth for the last two quarters.However I was principally rebutting the notion that Spain was bankrupt,which it is patently not.Spain and the UK's economies are broadly performing at the same level,with the significant differences that there is much higher unemployment in Spain (especially youth unemployment)and Spain is trapped in the Euro and cannot devalue its currency as the UK has effectively done, by over 20% since 2010.
It certainly seemed ,until recently,that there was a chance the UK might end up in a triple dip recession.Nothing more than a chance.That's all.
However, I don't think the last UK growth figures of 0.6% indicate anything other that a stuttering recovery might be underway.As far as the IMF latest revised growth forecasts for the UK are concerned, I believe I'm correct in saying that they envisaged an annual growth forecast of 1.1% for 2013.In order to achieve pre-2010 levels of growth by 2015 the UK economy would have to grow by some 3.3 % a year,which in current circumstances, would indeed be an economic miracle.

Out of interest do you have any views of your own other than Keynes, Muslow or The Guardian? Oh and the fact apparently you teach Economics and business studies ( I could be wrong, so please correct me) Can i ask what business have you ever run?

The view you referred to above are my own.

I've never taught Economics or business studies.I used to teach Presentation skills at the UAB and currently teach Business and general English.

I've been self-employed for the last 17 years,which as far as I'm concerned,means that I've been running my own business during that time.

Btw,I've never heard of any Muslow.Do you perhaps mean Maslow-the heirarchy of needs guy? It so happens he was a psychologist.

[/B][/B]

The view you referred to above are my own.

I've never taught Economics or business studies.I used to teach Presentation skills at the UAB and currently teach Business and general English.

I've been self-employed for the last 17 years,which as far as I'm concerned,means that I've been running my own business during that time.

Btw,I've never heard of any Muslow.Do you perhaps mean Maslow-the heirarchy of needs guy? It so happens he was a psychologist.
I hear Candi Staton singing ... that self-actualisation is what's really goin' on today (sic).

As I'm sure you're aware, figures for the last quarter in both the UK and the Eurozone can and might well be revised, either upwards or downwards, in the next quarter.It is also salutory to remember that over 50% of the UK's foreign trade is with Eurozone countries.

OK, so who can be bothered to sift through all the Guardian links to find examples of Barna's economic illiteracy?

ps Naughty Pubes. The correct economic term is ****ed. Please use the correct terminology in future.

pps I presume you mean "salutary". Your students are being conned.

Last edited:
Back