• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Labour and Zero hour contracts

It is sad how Labour are so firmly rooted up the rectum of big business - these days they're just Tories in red ties sadly.

God forbid this hopeless bunch of clowns get into power next year. A lot of employers and employees actually like the flexibility of zero-hours contracts.

God forbid this hopeless bunch of clowns get into power next year. A lot of employers and employees actually like the flexibility of zero-hours contracts.

Really? My step-son waiting to hear if he's working on a particular day, travels into work (paying a bus fare), and then being told he's not required? They're morally wrong, heavily weighted in favour of big business and should be made illegal immediately.

Really? My step-son waiting to hear if he's working on a particular day, travels into work (paying a bus fare), and then being told he's not required? They're morally wrong, heavily weighted in favour of big business and should be made illegal immediately.

Absolutely! I'm sure they're different from the old casual contracts, they certainly appear to be.

I don't think any of the parties are close to banning them or making them illegal, it seems to come down to regulating them.

I don't think any of the parties are close to banning them or making them illegal, it seems to come down to regulating them.

On the contrary, the Labour pary leader has pledged to end "the worst abuses of zero hour contracts".

http://www.labour.org.uk/ending-the-abuse-of-zero-hours-contracts

In particular the sort of abuse that MKS outlined above regarding his step-son will be banned:-

"A Labour government would make sure employees who work regular hours get a regular contract so that workers get a fair deal for a fair day's work.

We would ban people being required to be on call all hours of the day without any guarantee of work or having to promise they will only work for one employer."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27152757

"Under Labour's plans, workers on zero-hours contracts would:-

not be obliged to be available outside contracted hours
be free to work for other employers
have a right to compensation if shifts are cancelled at short notice
have "clarity" from their employer about their employment status, terms and conditions
have the right to request a contract with a "minimum amount of work" after six months with an employer - this could only be refused if employers could prove their business could not operate any other way
have an automatic right to a fixed-hours contract after 12 months with an employe."

On the contrary, the Labour pary leader has pledged to end "the worst abuses of zero hour contracts".

http://www.labour.org.uk/ending-the-abuse-of-zero-hours-contracts

In particular the sort of abuse that MKS outlined above regarding his step-son will be banned:-

"A Labour government would make sure employees who work regular hours get a regular contract so that workers get a fair deal for a fair day's work.

We would ban people being required to be on call all hours of the day without any guarantee of work or having to promise they will only work for one employer."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27152757

"Under Labour's plans, workers on zero-hours contracts would:-

not be obliged to be available outside contracted hours
be free to work for other employers
have a right to compensation if shifts are cancelled at short notice
have "clarity" from their employer about their employment status, terms and conditions
have the right to request a contract with a "minimum amount of work" after six months with an employer - this could only be refused if employers could prove their business could not operate any other way
have an automatic right to a fixed-hours contract after 12 months with an employe."

Even for you that is exceptionally short sighted.

To end abuse is not to end the use.

Even the part in bold on your quote above comes down to regulation, rather than banning.

Besides which the Labour party happily employ people on zero hour contracts!...or is it ok for Labour?

I'm on a zero hours contract. It's quite common amongst freelancers.

The poorest paid however should have guaranteed hours at least. If you are going to pay around minimum wage then at least have the decency to provide some security of employment.

Even for you that is exceptionally short sighted.

To end abuse is not to end the use.

Even the part in bold on your quote above comes down to regulation, rather than banning.

Besides which the Labour party happily employ people on zero hour contracts!...or is it ok for Labour?

At least ending the abuse would be better than the present Tory inaction.

What is UKIP's policy on zero hours contracts? Or is that outside the remit of opposition to the EU and cracking down on immigration?
How long is UKIP going to remain a two issue party?

At least ending the abuse would be better than the present Tory inaction.

What is UKIP's policy on zero hours contracts? Or is that outside the remit of opposition to the EU and cracking down on immigration? How long is UKIP going to remain a two issues party?

Wow ...you couldn't manage more than two posts without dragging UKIP into this!

I believe UKIP want a code of conduct on the use of Zero hour contracts but are against an outright ban.

So is it ok, for Labour to use zero hour contracts for their employees?

Couple of questions on zero hour contracts.

1) if they were to be banned, how would you stop employers offering, say, 1hr contracts, or even 15 minute? What would you set as the lowest contract to be legal?

2) If you're on a zero hour contract, does that mean no holiday pay?

Personally, I think:

1) the best way would be for a contract to increase after a certain period of constantly working, ie after 3 months of doing x hours, you'd be on an x hour contract (which can be dropped to zero, but a notice period of maybe a month would be required.

2) If zero hour means no holiday pay, then I'd suggest that holidays become payable at a rate of contracted hours, plus average overtime over a 3 month period. I had this many years ago when I worked for a printers. I was on a 35 hr contract, but regularly did 50 hrs (overtime rates were good). My holiday pay was the same per week as if I'd been working overtime.

Back