• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Labour Party Conference 2014

Cost of living at the moment is so sky high that a bit of tax to make public services not crap would barely be noticed.

The level if debate on this thread is pretty low (myself included) and is just those of us with differing opinions spouting those without anything new to add so I think I'll give it a rest now as there has been an effort elsewhere to make postings less dull.

Oh God the drama of it all.

Cost of living at the moment is so sky high that a bit of tax to make public services not crap would barely be noticed.

The level if debate on this thread is pretty low (myself included) and is just those of us with differing opinions spouting those without anything new to add so I think I'll give it a rest now as there has been an effort elsewhere to make postings less dull.

The level of debate from the left is always lower than a snake's scrotum. When they get tired of calling you a racist, they don't really have anywhere else to go.

The level of debate from the left is always lower than a snake's scrotum. When they get tired of calling you a racist, they don't really have anywhere else to go.
Rusty it is ever so nice of you to show an interest in your former homeland but you have been away so long you have forgotten who is who. Those saying that Labour being 4 points ahead in the polls is pathetic and that Miliband hates Britain are not left wingers.
You basically repeated what I said - that debate was going nowhere and was a bit low brow - but you pretended that was the fault of one side and threw in a crude analogy, not sure that is helping matters.

Liability 1) Ed Miliband - tries to make a speech without auto cue and misses out a good few minutes so it clocks in at just under an hour but manages to pledge tens of thousands of extra staff for the NHS

Liabilty 2) Dave Cameron - uses auto cue so manages to deliver all of the words he intends to but is head of a government who have had to be taken to court to stop them closing NHS A&E units.

in example 1 Ed would be advised to at least take cue cards with him to make sure he has covered all that he intended to.
in example 2 Dave must remember not to close down A&E units or people die.

The NHS costs, I believe, around £100Bn a year. Not sure how a 2% increase will pay for many extra staff when the average annual increase in funding is (again, I believe) closer to 4%

The NHS costs, I believe, around £100Bn a year. Not sure how a 2% increase will pay for many extra staff when the average annual increase in funding is (again, I believe) closer to 4%
Has 2% been mentioned? I thought it was just staff increases that were mentioned rather than a specific funding increase. Maybe if 2% has been mentioned it was 2% above the average annual increase? Just guessing.

Has 2% been mentioned? I thought it was just staff increases that were mentioned rather than a specific funding increase. Maybe if 2% has been mentioned it was 2% above the average annual increase? Just guessing.

I thought he'd said about a £2.5bn boost for the NHS. Now, that may be over and above other increases, but I'd have thought he'd have made that clear if so as it'd have given a larger headline number.

Rusty it is ever so nice of you to show an interest in your former homeland but you have been away so long you have forgotten who is who. Those saying that Labour being 4 points ahead in the polls is pathetic and that Miliband hates Britain are not left wingers.
You basically repeated what I said - that debate was going nowhere and was a bit low brow - but you pretended that was the fault of one side and threw in a crude analogy, not sure that is helping matters.

OK, credit where it's due, you also have the 'Any reform to the NHS kills people!' argument in your arsenal. How about addressing the wastefulness and lack of efficiency in the NHS, and the fact that its services are overloaded by benefits spongers and immigrants? No, let's just chuck a few billion of other people's money at it, because they're rich so they're obviously evil.

OK, credit where it's due, you also have the 'Any reform to the NHS kills people!' argument in your arsenal. How about addressing the wastefulness and lack of efficiency in the NHS, and the fact that its services are overloaded by benefits spongers and immigrants? No, let's just chuck a few billion of other people's money at it, because they're rich so they're obviously evil.
It wasn't 'any reforms' it was closing A&E units and tax payers money was spent by local authorities taking central government to court to rule that it was illegal and put lives at risk. How does that sit in terms of wastefulness and inefficiency?

What % of the population are unemployed (that who you mean by spongers?) and what % are immigrants? And what % of the population have access to the NHS? I know that one it's 100% because private hospitals don't have A&E units and they refer lots of cases back to the NHS too. And without immigrants the NHS wouldn't be able to exist because it works both ways - the NHS is over reliant on immigrants, and I don't doubt that private hospitals are too.

It wasn't 'any reforms' it was closing A&E units and tax payers money was spent by local authorities taking central government to court to rule that it was illegal and put lives at risk. How does that sit in terms of wastefulness and inefficiency?

What % of the population are unemployed (that who you mean by spongers?) and what % are immigrants? And what % of the population have access to the NHS? I know that one it's 100% because private hospitals don't have A&E units and they refer lots of cases back to the NHS too. And without immigrants the NHS wouldn't be able to exist because it works both ways - the NHS is over reliant on immigrants, and I don't doubt that private hospitals are too.

The NHS shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Did you know that no party has ever been elected while being behind on both the economy and popularity of the respective leader? As it stands, Labour are 25% behind on the economy and Milliband is 26% behind Cameron in popularity. This isn't a dig or an attempt to wind up anyone, it's just something I heard on LBC tonight from someone called Atan Atal who is a political commentator I believe. And going by some of his other comments he was in the Labour rather than Tory fan club.

If that's the case then Labour have some serious catching up to do.

Cost of living is a load of old flannel

just another way of those who have over stretched themselves in life to shift the blame for themselves and find an excuse to paper over the fact they're living outside their means.

I see plenty of these "cost of living" challenged people with the latest iPhones and iPads, not to mention the latest cars. I also see plenty of them pouring loads of money into cigarettes and churning out the chavvies like there's no tomorrow.

Society would be so much better if people were able to accept they made poor decisions in life as opposed to finding someone to blame (ie the government).

Cost of living is a load of old flannel

just another way of those who have over stretched themselves in life to shift the blame for themselves and find an excuse to paper over the fact they're living outside their means.

I see plenty of these "cost of living" challenged people with the latest iPhones and iPads, not to mention the latest cars. I also see plenty of them pouring loads of money into cigarettes and churning out the chavvies like there's no tomorrow.

Society would be so much better if people were able to accept they made poor decisions in life as opposed to finding someone to blame (ie the government).
If it was because people by fags and iPhones it wouldn't get reported in newspapers and TV news it would just be pub gossip.
Its straight maths - if prices rise faster than wages then it means the relative cost of living goes up. Tell a young couple that they need to stop moaning about needing a £40k deposit to buy a crappy little flat when 15 years ago you needed a £3k deposit to buy a house. Governments are there to make our lives better and they should be encouraged to do that.

Governments are there to make our lives better.

I believe it is my responsibility to make my own life better. In that one statement we see the fundamental difference between the man who wishes to nourish himself and his family through the fruits of his labours and the man who thinks the world owes him a living.

I believe it is my responsibility to make my own life better. In that one statement we see the fundamental difference between the man who wishes to nourish himself and his family through the fruits of his labours and the man who thinks the world owes him a living.
So you vote in a government that makes your life harder so you feel more self gratification with everything you achieve?

the issue is simply where you place the balance between public and private finance and how much the country can afford. Labour is high tax, high unemployment and low growth (see France), the Tory's are low tax, lower public finance and more personal responsibility. You take your choice.

Back