• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lacking Balls

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
I just don't get it.

Perhaps its a generation thing - after all, though I know that I am still only 15 inside, my son never misses an opportunity to remind me that on the outside I am well into Old Git territory. But even allowing for my wrinkly status, I still don't get it.

I know that these days you don't accord anybody respect until they have "earnt" it. Regardless of qualifications or position of authority, you won't get respect until you have satisfied some rather vague and personal definition of what earns respect - made more difficult because that definition varies so wildly from person to person. Frankly, I preferred the old system of giving someone respect unless they then showed that they didn't deserve it - but I know that I am swimming against the tide there.

But even under this modern system, surely Steve Tilson deserves, no has earnt and DEMANDS respect? I'm not talking about fawning, lick-spittle, uncritical adoration. Not even a tinge of rose-tint. Nor am I wanting him placed above criticism - no one is ever completely above criticism (though you wouldn't know it if you ever dare to demure from the opinion of some of the more opinionated on here).

But several posters have now told Steve to "get some balls". To me that is intensly, deeply, embarrasingly wrong. That is rudeness on a completely unacceptable level to someone who has arguably done more for this club than any one else in the modern era. And it is a level of personal insult that should leave those who have descended to it deeply ashamed.

I hate it when you accidentally sit on your own balls - how painful is that?

But if someone were to sit on Steve Tilson's balls.....??? That's not just disrespectful it's plain unnacceptable - not just to me but to every man with a set of crown jewels in the western world -- FACT.

What's most puzzling about these calls for Steve to "get some balls", is that there seems to me to be far more balls in the modern game than there used to be. I remember the days of Phil Gridelet shanking another shot out the ground and it used to take 5 mins to find a new ball, now a ballboy only has to dally for a few seconds and there's a new ball on the pitch quicker than you can say "Macca's-had-a-shot", sometimes there's even more than one ball on the pitch at a time, if anything there's too many balls now!

A Century United said:
I just don't get it.

Perhaps its a generation thing - after all, though I know that I am still only 15 inside, my son never misses an opportunity to remind me that on the outside I am well into Old Git territory. But even allowing for my wrinkly status, I still don't get it.

I know that these days you don't accord anybody respect until they have "earnt" it. Regardless of qualifications or position of authority, you won't get respect until you have satisfied some rather vague and personal definition of what earns respect - made more difficult because that definition varies so wildly from person to person. Frankly, I preferred the old system of giving someone respect unless they then showed that they didn't deserve it - but I know that I am swimming against the tide there.

But even under this modern system, surely Steve Tilson deserves, no has earnt and DEMANDS respect? I'm not talking about fawning, lick-spittle, uncritical adoration. Not even a tinge of rose-tint. Nor am I wanting him placed above criticism - no one is ever completely above criticism (though you wouldn't know it if you ever dare to demure from the opinion of some of the more opinionated on here).

But several posters have now told Steve to "get some balls". To me that is intensly, deeply, embarrasingly wrong. That is rudeness on a completely unacceptable level to someone who has arguably done more for this club than any one else in the modern era. And it is a level of personal insult that should leave those who have descended to it deeply ashamed.
What I said earlier, only put far, far better.

I'd green if I could....

I'd green you if I could.

...and me. As another old git Tom I couldn't have put it better myself.

I'd suggest that most making the balls suggestions are those who've learnt their football management skills on the latest computer game, and who couldn't manage to run a bath let alone a football club.

Tilly IMO has demonstrated time and again that he won't shy from making tough decisions regarding individual players and the team, and I'd say he will continue to do so.

I just don't get it.

I agree on the respect thing, but how long can you watch our team go down the pan with uninspiring, unimaginative displays without having a pop at the manager. I think what people mean is Tilly needs to have the balls to drop players who are underachieving and shuffle the pack. I know we have a small squad but players seem to get a game week in week out no matter how bad they play.

I agree on the respect thing, but how long can you watch our team go down the pan with uninspiring, unimaginative displays without having a pop at the manager. I think what people mean is Tilly needs to have the balls to drop players who are underachieving and shuffle the pack. I know we have a small squad but players seem to get a game week in week out no matter how bad they play.

But that is exactly what I am getting at DWB. Even if Tilly DOESN'T "have the balls to drop players", for fans who (whatever they may think) don't have any real idea of what managing a team involves to make that accusation in those blunt, offensive and disrespectful terms makes my blood boil. It is perfectly possible to discuss Tilly's team choices and to disagree with them, and his tactics, without decending into personal insult - which is what that phrase is.

But that is exactly what I am getting at DWB. Even if Tilly DOESN'T "have the balls to drop players", for fans who (whatever they may think) don't have any real idea of what managing a team involves to make that accusation in those blunt, offensive and disrespectful terms makes my blood boil. It is perfectly possible to discuss Tilly's team choices and to disagree with them, and his tactics, without decending into personal insult - which is what that phrase is.

Doesn't have the balls, doesn't have the guts, too afraid to. Are these really personal insults?

I think they are the peoples view of the situation rather than it being a personal insult

Doesn't have the balls, doesn't have the guts, too afraid to. Are these really personal insults?

I think they are the peoples view of the situation rather than it being a personal insult

Insults / views it doesn't matter how you dress it up, the fact remains that Tilly has never shied away from making tough decisons about players.

Back