• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ladies Citizen gold plated watch - to repair or not?

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Guys, I know there are a few on here who know a bit about watches so I'm hoping for a bit of advice here. I have a watch as detailed above, brought for me some years ago by himself. Have repeatedly had problems with it over the years with batteries failing to last for any great length of time, anyway, after it being stuck in a drawer for a while, I took it in to a jewellers last week to find out if there was a problem and they phoned me back yesterday and said it needs a new movement which is going to cost £55. I asked them for their opinion on whether that's viable or not, i.e. would it be cost effective or not, is the repair cost more than the value of the watch? The jeweller (probably as you would expect) said that in his opinion it was worth repairing it as it is a decent watch and you can't pick one up like it for that kind of money. If it was his wife's watch, he said he would get it repaired.

It's about 10 or 12 years old and was brought new, it obviously has no sentiment attached to it and I have a number of cheap (Next) watches which I prefer and a lovely Rotary watch which my parents bought for my 21st for "best". I think I know in my head which way I'm going with it, but just thought I'd throw it out there for the great SZ membership at large for their input. If I decide NOT to get it mended, what is the best thing to do with it anyway?

Over to you lot....

I googled it and it's worth no more than £60 anyway. In the bin.

And, no wonder "if it was him". Mr Jeweler is thinking Kerching!

If you go down the seafront you can win watches on some of the machines.

I googled it and it's worth no more than £60 anyway. In the bin.

And, no wonder "if it was him". Mr Jeweler is thinking Kerching!
I haven't got it here so can't check the exact model number, but you're thinking what my immediate reaction was! I must admit I've not been able to find one like it as it has a black face. Best go and pick it up I guess!
If you go down the seafront you can win watches on some of the machines.
Yeah, thanks for that, I don't want any more though!

Seems very expensive for a Quartz "movement". All Quartz watches are fundamentally the same, regardless of whether it is a £5 rayleigh lanes special, a £300 armani, or a £2,000 Rado / Omega. The movement itself is actually just a circuit board, run from a battery (usually, however some are triggered by movement like certain omega's and seiko's), and these watches are simply jewellery with the ability to tell time.

I'd say that the price is steep for the work, and also the watch is "beyond economic repair". By way of comparison for the work itself, an automatic service on a Swiss watch, performed in Switzerland, starts at about £150 for Omega's. The service involves taking apart the watch, lubricating all of the cogs, flywheels etc, replacing any parts, polishing the watch, testing and adjusting the watch to maker (and COSC if appropriate) standards. This can be far more, a Rolex dive watch can be from £400 - 600 depending on pressure testing required etc, and if it is a chronograph the service is far more comprehensive due to the complications. But - I can guarantee that the work is far longer in even the cheapest service - I'd guess say 6 hours vs the 10 minutes to replace a circuit board.

I guess, despite the above, the main question is can you find a watch for £55 that you will be happier with, or would you be happier with your watch repaired?

I guess, despite the above, the main question is can you find a watch for £55 that you will be happier with, or would you be happier with your watch repaired?
Ta, no, I'm happy with my Rotary tbh. Might just ask around though and see if I can find someone who can repair it for less.

Back