• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Lampard: Sterling was wrong to compare me with Sol

Lampard did a great job at Derby and earnt his appointment , Sol has an even harder job at Southend but if he is successful here in getting us a quick promotion back to League 1 ,then im sure a championship or premiership club will come seeking his services in some capacity.SOL as a lot to gain by being a success at Southend ,give him a chance ,by that i mean 2 transfer windows and a full season at least .

Lampard and Gerrard both went straight into coaching roles upon retiring. Sol decided to **** about with his political career. Once that failed he then decided he wanted to be a manager and expected to walk into a job because of who he is! Lampard and Gerrard have worked their way into the jobs they have got and it’s got nothing to do with the colour of their skin!

desperate stuff from the Echo ... find a quote that mentions Sol and and spin up a story

Lampard and Gerrard both went straight into coaching roles upon retiring. Sol decided to **** about with his political career. Once that failed he then decided he wanted to be a manager and expected to walk into a job because of who he is! Lampard and Gerrard have worked their way into the jobs they have got and it’s got nothing to do with the colour of their skin!

Is that the case, or did he go into politics because no-one would give him a job in football first? I would say we don't know one way or the other.

Nbo
Is that the case, or did he go into politics because no-one would give him a job in football first? I would say we don't know one way or the other.
not that it is related to this thread or as football forum but he started voicing opinions and getting involved in politics in 2013

I saw a an interview about Frank getting the Derby job and the chairman wasnt keen at first but i think Harry Redknapp told the board to spend an hour in Lampard presence .

once meeting him they were blown away with his vision ,knowledge, ethics and enthusiasm and he won them over ....the rest as you say is history.

Ok I see your point but Lampard and Gerrard didn’t walk into these management positions. Both players were legends of their clubs and were given the opportunities to work within the academies at the clubs they are legends at. They have obviously excelled at this and been offered jobs elsewhere and worked their way up. I can’t imagine Sol wanted to do the leg work and has expected because he is a name should walk into a good job!

Most players that cross over will start helping out with youth whilst still playing. From what I understand and from what a Newcastle fan was telling me he only came for a pay packet. He didn’t last long there and was released then decided to pack it in. We know his background and that he is very wealthy, I can imagine he decided to take a break and enjoy his wealth. Looked at politics, failed at that and went down the football route.

I couldn’t give a toss what the colour of skin our manager is. I was over the moon when we got Powell, a legend of our club and he had done really well when at Charlton. All I want is success for the club and if Sol does that then great, but if it’s not then it’s down to Sol Campbell not the colour of his skin!

Ok I see your point but Lampard and Gerrard didn’t walk into these management positions. Both players were legends of their clubs and were given the opportunities to work within the academies at the clubs they are legends at.

Lampard and Gerrard may well have done so, but how do you know similar academy roles were not given to Sol?

They have obviously excelled at this and been offered jobs elsewhere and worked their way up.
How do you know that? How do you know Sol wouldn't have also?

I can’t imagine Sol wanted to do the leg work and has expected because he is a name should walk into a good job!

Why? What makes you think he's different from anyone else? After, all, by taking on both Macc and ourselves I think he's proved he's prepared to do the leg work.

Most players that cross over will start helping out with youth whilst still playing. From what I understand and from what a Newcastle fan was telling me he only came for a pay packet. He didn’t last long there and was released then decided to pack it in. We know his background and that he is very wealthy, I can imagine he decided to take a break and enjoy his wealth. Looked at politics, failed at that and went down the football route.

That's pure speculation. He's also no wealthier than Lampard or Gerrard, so what it is about him that makes you think he wanted to "enjoy his wealth" in a way Lampard and Gerrard didn't?

I couldn’t give a toss what the colour of skin our manager is. I was over the moon when we got Powell, a legend of our club and he had done really well when at Charlton. All I want is success for the club and if Sol does that then great, but if it’s not then it’s down to Sol Campbell not the colour of his skin!

For the record, I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just asking what is it that makes you think all that about Sol that you don't about the others?

Lampard and Gerrard may well have done so, but how do you know similar academy roles weren't given to Sol?

How do you know that? How do you know Sol wouldn't have also?

Why? What makes you think he's different from anyone else? After, all, by taking on both Macc and ourselves I think he's proved he's prepared to do the leg work.

That's pure speculation. He's also no wealthier than Lampard or Gerrard, so what it is about him that makes you think he wanted to "enjoy his wealth" in a way Lampard and Gerrard didn't?

For the record, I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just asking what is it that makes you think all that about Sol that you don't about the others?

Lampard and Gerrard retired and went straight into those jobs. Sol did not, whether he was offered them or not I don’t know.

I think it’s obvious they excelled because Lampard got the Derby job and now Chelsea and Gerrard got the Rangers job.

Sol had to take the Macclesfield job because it was the only one being offered to him. He’d been out of the game since 2012! You’re telling me that wasn’t his choice?

It’s not speculation! He is married to the grand daughter of Barratt homes owner and from what I understand they have a very impressive property portfolio.

Lampard and Gerrard may well have done so, but how do you know similar academy roles were not given to Sol?

I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think Lampard & Gerrard had started their coaching badges long before they retired, and had achieved the required level by the time they did, which meant they were able to move straight into coaching roles.

Sol didn’t start his coaching roles until after his retirement, and admitted himself that it was a long arduous path, which could take 3-4 years to complete.

That maybe the reason he wasn’t offered a coaching role straight away.

I’m not sure it’s the case that Sol wanted to enjoy his wealth, but we know that his first coaching role was with the Trinidad national team, in 2017, which was around 5 years after retiring from playing.

Again, there is a difference between Sol & the others there, and as such I think the initial comparison is flawed.

Last edited:
I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think Lampard & Gerrard has started their coaching badges long before they retired, and had achieved the required level by the time they did, which meant they were able to move straight into coaching roles.

Sol didn’t start his coaching roles until after his retirement, and admitted himself that it was a long arduous path, which could take 3-4 years to complete.

That maybe the reason he wasn’t offered a coaching role straight away.

And there’s your difference!

And there’s your difference!

Aye.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely a case of jobs for the boys, but if you haven’t got the correct licensing, then it tends to throw a spanner in the works.

I saw a an interview about Frank getting the Derby job and the chairman wasnt keen at first but i think Harry Redknapp told the board to spend an hour in Lampard presence .

once meeting him they were blown away with his vision ,knowledge, ethics and enthusiasm and he won them over ....the rest as you say is history.
Harry Redknapp later went on to convince Southend's chairman to spend an hour with Kevin Bond, the chairman was blown away by his lack of vision, knowledge and enthusiasm but hired him anyway because no one else wanted the job.

Harry Redknapp later went on to convince Southend's chairman to spend an hour with Kevin Bond, the chairman was blown away by his lack of vision, knowledge and enthusiasm but hired him anyway because no one else wanted the job.

I still cannot fathom how Ron even entertained Redknapp, considering his disparaging remarks he made about our club.

Ron should have frog marched him off the pier.

Lampard and Gerrard retired and went straight into those jobs. Sol did not, whether he was offered them or not I don’t know.

I think it’s obvious they excelled because Lampard got the Derby job and now Chelsea and Gerrard got the Rangers job.

Sol had to take the Macclesfield job because it was the only one being offered to him. He’d been out of the game since 2012! You’re telling me that wasn’t his choice?

It’s not speculation! He is married to the grand daughter of Barratt homes owner and from what I understand they have a very impressive property portfolio.

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

Yep well done you’ve highlighted my assumptions.

Turns out they were correct thanks to GBJ confirming he didn’t take his badges whilst playing which is why he wasn’t offered a role. And the I think just a poor choice of words. I know as it was common knowledge in the press and from those at the clubs who know that they were highly regarded and doing well. Proof of that is how players like Mason Mount who Lampard worked with at Chelsea and then took on loan at Derby. Then when he took over at Chelsea gave him the chance at Chelsea and now he is an England International.

I’m sorry but Lampard and Gerrard cannot be spoken in the same breath as Sol Campbell!

I’d like to point out this isn’t a Sol bashing session. I’m purely pointing out that the comparison of Campbell with Lampard and Gerrard’s situation is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I’d like to point out this isn’t a Sol bashing session. I’m purely pointing out that the comparison between Campbell with Lampard and Gerrard’s situation is ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous considering Sol quit his coaching course early, due to him being the “brightest mind in football”.

???

Back