• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

laptop display slowly dying on me - repair or replace (with PC or Mac)?

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
The screen on my 4-year old laptop is finally going to give up the ghost in the next few days (hours!). I'm after some advice what to do next:

1. Pocket says, try to get the screen repaired (and the wireless card replaced as that doesn't work either)!

2. Head says replace with another Windows-based laptop which can be had at a very reasonable price.

3. Heart says, buy a Macbook as they look beautiful!

Up until now I've been fully wedded to Windows based computing, but love the look of Macs.

Thoughts anyone?

I'd suggest that 4/5 years is an average lifetime for modern laptops, unfortunately. Replacing a screen isn't cheap, so I'd be looking to get a new one if it was me.

Think it's hardware rather than software related (bottom third of screen is dead most times on boot up - if I poke, prod and flex enough then it comes back)

If I replace, what do you reckon - PC or Mac?

Samsung Laptops well built and can get for roughly £379 with a good spec
Wasgoing to recommend as well R530 or if you have the cash R580 . MAc's are almost identical hardware wise since Intel do the processor (Just more expensive) and stylish (but ready to go out the box)

Macs are really nice but you pay more for the same thing. However, if you really want a Mac, they all come with something called Boot Camp now which enables you to install Windows and you can boot up with either so you can still use any Windows software you already have.

Back