• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

laptop repair

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
My usb ports have been damaged.

Took it to a repair place in rayleigh today and they said that they couldnt repair the ports and it needed a new mother board. Said it would cost over £200

Anybody know anything about computers . Does this sound right as i would have thought it would be a really easy job just to put new usb's in.

There's a good independent repair place on the left just past Thames Drive going towards Southend, if you want a 2nd opinion I'm sure they'd give it to you. They're also pretty reasonable on prices.

I'd imagine that's right - you can hardly take a soldering iron to a motherboard, you do more damage. Unfortunately that's the throw away culture we live in.

If one of the usb ports is still working you can try a usb hub which I think Pubey is suggesting.

"If your laptop has a PCMCIA or Cardbus port, this will be a long thin port usually in the side of the notebook / laptop,you can purchase a Cardbus adapter PCMCIA USB that will give you up to four USB ports".

http://www.computer-adviser.com/2-0-card-pci-usb.html

Failing both those ideas or any of the other problem solvers in the link above, as MK states they are part of the motherboard and you are up poo creek.

I always use this guy: http://www.pcseven.co.uk/

He works from home, and is very quick and reliable. He reparied my laptop last year and does simple things for me too, recently he replaced the DVD drive for £35 all in.

I used to use Premier Computers near Waitrose in Leigh, but they are quite dear in comparison.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

The mrs has brought her sisters laptop off of her as she hardly uses it and its less than a year old.

I am having the broken one purely for the net (lucky me)

Most modern laptops have 3 or more USB ports, usually spread either side of the laptop. Just because one side of the motherboard connection for USB had blown, the other side may not have.

Most modern laptops have 3 or more USB ports, usually spread either side of the laptop. Just because one side of the motherboard connection for USB had blown, the other side may not have.

No they don't, if anything they seem to be putting less ports in these days..my new Toshiba has only 2 whereas my last one had 3.

if you need work done on a laptop and you can get to eastwood next to the indian the hasina their are two shops across the road from each other that are in competition with each other and both are quite cheap and will do anything to undercut each other, try them.

Back