• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Larsson deal is Off

They’re big names but they don’t have any managerial credentials, especially when it comes to the English lower leagues.
And who exactly do you suggest we should have brought in that has ‘credentials’. Why on earth would anyone with good credentials at this level take the job? We’re almost certain to be relegated regardless of who’s in charge.

I loved Dirk Kuyt.

Always turned up for a big game unlike some of the home grown legends he played alongside.

I say give em a chance, they’ll get my support 100%!
It will be interesting to hear what caveats there are relating to this series of appointments? Shares / Investment or just employees of the club...

Amazing how after all the doubts about Larsson by what seems the majority of Zone posters he now seems like a conquering hero!

Kuyt is only 39, so I wonder if he fancies putting on the boots Marc-Antoine Fortunè style?

my top 3

Campbell
Tilson
Barrat

if the Larsson crowd put money in fair enough but not sure they know how to build a league back 4,,

Gary Rowett
Nigel Adkins
Gary Johnson
Rowett - an accomplished and respected championship level coach who has probably been earning 500k a year plus for the last four or five years. Would never consider a league one managerial position for a team bottom of the league. Happy doing media work while he waits for a championship job to come up.

Adkins - see above without the media work. Was heavily linked with the Huddersfield job. Zero interest in working in the league one.

Gary Johnson - not even the best manager in his family

Realistically?

Probably not - more of a bold attempt to answer the question set by Strike Force.

Rowett's teams haven't played attractive football but they've been hard to beat. He's probably looking at a much higher level than we're at now. Sadly.

Adkins - a great enthusiast who did well the lower down the League he managed.

Johnson - love his perky spirit and the fact that he's doing well with The Gulls. Along with all his great managerial experience in the Leagues we know so well.

Campbell did a great job with Macclesfield- what tends to get over looked is his zero prior experience of L2 football. So take Larsson and Kuyt who had at least as much success in the top flight/internationally why should the similarly not come in and be successful.

Actually Larsson has managed a small team with a ground with 5000 capacity and kept them in the top division against all predictions and I doubt the Swedish second division where he managed is full of players so far removed from our lower leagues.

Kuyt has been coach the Feyenoord U19s I think- so brings something other than just his playing career.

I also see some people suggesting they must be costing us a fortune. I doubt whatever we are paying them more than the going rate, they won’t be here for the monthly pay cheque- when Kuyt was in Turkey a year or two back he was on £2.5 million a year..

Rowett - an accomplished and respected championship level coach who has probably been earning 500k a year plus for the last four or five years. Would never consider a league one managerial position for a team bottom of the league. Happy doing media work while he waits for a championship job to come up.

Adkins - see above without the media work. Was heavily linked with the Huddersfield job. Zero interest in working in the league one.

Gary Johnson - not even the best manager in his family

Good points but your original post deserved a reply - even one with scarlet-tinted specs.

Back