• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greatest Southend Moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SUFCStu

President
Winners of Group 6 v Runners Up of Group 5

sufc_dave - Clarke's equaliser at Chelsea 2009 V

Gt Yarmouth Playing host to the Champions of Europe

This is the toughest one yet for me. For anyone that was not there, that cold January evening when we welcomed such greats amongst the footballing elite as that Liverpool team in 1979 included, it's really hard to convey the sensations felt being part of a 31,306 crowd packed into a snowy Roots Hall, the majority of whom were all cheering on the Blues. Just look at the line up for the European Champions:
Ray Clemence; Phil Neal; the late great GrEmlyn Hughes; Phil Thompson; Ray Kennedy: Alan Hansen; Kenny Dalgleish; Jimmy Case; David Fairclough; Terry McDermott and Graeme Souness.....with Steve Heighway on bench!

Our starting line up was Mervyn Cawston; Micky Stead; Steve Yates; Mickey Laverick; Tony Hadley; Alan Moody; Colin Morris; Ron Pountney; Derek Parker; Gerry Fell and Phil Dudley. Top official Keith Hackett was the man who seemingly had no hesitation in allowing a match to be played in conditions that today's lightweights would all baulk at!

Yes, Clarke's goal at Chelsea was a very memorable moment, but so was Mildy's worldclass save. I think on balance, the fact that the whole feeling surrounding the Liverpool game was so memorable, so impressionable, I will have to vote accordingly.

Way before my time, but Liverpool were huge at that time, and all the stories from Zoners and in the history books make it sound an incredible occasion, and our biggest ever attendance too, so I'm voting for the Liverpool game.

This is the toughest one yet for me. For anyone that was not there, that cold January evening when we welcomed such greats amongst the footballing elite as that Liverpool team in 1979 included, it's really hard to convey the sensations felt being part of a 31,306 crowd packed into a snowy Roots Hall, the majority of whom were all cheering on the Blues. Just look at the line up for the European Champions:
Ray Clemence; Phil Neal; the late great GrEmlyn Hughes; Phil Thompson; Ray Kennedy: Alan Hansen; Kenny Dalgleish; Jimmy Case; David Fairclough; Terry McDermott and Graeme Souness.....with Steve Heighway on bench!

Our starting line up was Mervyn Cawston; Micky Stead; Steve Yates; Mickey Laverick; Tony Hadley; Alan Moody; Colin Morris; Ron Pountney; Derek Parker; Gerry Fell and Phil Dudley. Top official Keith Hackett was the man who seemingly had no hesitation in allowing a match to be played in conditions that today's lightweights would all baulk at!

Yes, Clarke's goal at Chelsea was a very memorable moment, but so was Mildy's worldclass save. I think on balance, the fact that the whole feeling surrounding the Liverpool game was so memorable, so impressionable, I will have to vote accordingly.

Ha!I had a ticket for this game but couldn't stick around for the Monday as I was due back here to teach. (This was in the bad old days of Magic Bus-long before cheap EJ flights-when a coach trip to Barna took about 24 hours).
Ps Gave the ticket to a mate(for free)who's now in exile in Kent.

This is one that confuses me with this little Poll...some moments on the list are not really "moments" they are more occasions or achievements. Like this Liverpool one....whilst I couldn't knock the magnitude of the performance drawing with the European Champions, there was never a "moment" of excitement as there was when the goal went in at Stamford Bridge, so for that reason the boy Clarke has to get my vote...

For what it's worth if a greatest achievements poll comes up, I'd vote the other way.

Summed it up beautifully OBL, couldn't have expressed it better myself.
It seems a pity that none of our younger supporters were around to experience that evening otherwise I'm sure it would win, hands down!

Summed it up beautifully OBL, couldn't have expressed it better myself.
It seems a pity that none of our younger supporters were around to experience that evening otherwise I'm sure it would win, hands down!
Shame you can't get clips of it to post, that might have made a difference too.

Back