• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last Season in the North Bank???

Last Season at the Hall in North Bank????

• Hell Yeah

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Not fussed

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No thanks

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

Aberdeen Shrimper

Probably been discussed on many occasions but i was wondering what peoples current views are on having the last season at the Hall back in the North Bank?? That is assuming that the new stadium does go ahead.

I know that the South Bank was the original home end but it has changed so much that it is nothing like its former glory however the North Bank has hardly changed at all other than seats and the removal of the birds’ nest that was stuck in the mega phone.

The Atmosphere in the old days in the North Bank was far better than it is now.....singing most of the game and every know and again a serge would lunge you forward (maybe a wee bit dangerous but fun). I don’t believe that the addition of seats is fully to blame for it and the East and West stands to contribute but it has always been tradition that the singing came from behind the goal, The guys in the South Bank that relentlessly sing there hearts out do a sterling job but the trouble with the South Bank is that it is split in two which makes it difficult for the whole stand to burst in to song together.

If it is an overwhelming yes then i am going to write to RM and ask him to consider the views of the masses :)

Was trying to start a thread that was a little more light hearted than the ones over the last 2 days.

No worries

Probably been discussed on many occasions but i was wondering what peoples current views are on having the last season at the Hall back in the North Bank?? That is assuming that the new stadium does go ahead.

I know that the South Bank was the original home end but it has changed so much that it is nothing like its former glory however the North Bank has hardly changed at all other than seats and the removal of the birds’ nest that was stuck in the mega phone.

The Atmosphere in the old days in the North Bank was far better than it is now.....singing most of the game and every know and again a serge would lunge you forward (maybe a wee bit dangerous but fun). I don’t believe that the addition of seats is fully to blame for it and the East and West stands to contribute but it has always been tradition that the singing came from behind the goal, The guys in the South Bank that relentlessly sing there hearts out do a sterling job but the trouble with the South Bank is that it is split in two which makes it difficult for the whole stand to burst in to song together.

If it is an overwhelming yes then i am going to write to RM and ask him to consider the views of the masses :)

No disrespect, but how do you know what it is like now? your location means unfortunately you ar hardly present. Much of the tales of the North Bank ar mythical,let's keep itthat way because wewould be disappointed with any return. The West Stand in modern times is much better when we have something to shout about,large sections singing ,not just a middle bit.

Many away fans remember away days at Roots Hall because they think they are making lots of noise, but it's the barrel roof,we were the same in days gone by.

No disrespect, but how do you know what it is like now? your location means unfortunately you ar hardly present. Much of the tales of the North Bank ar mythical,let's keep itthat way because wewould be disappointed with any return. The West Stand in modern times is much better when we have something to shout about,large sections singing ,not just a middle bit.

Many away fans remember away days at Roots Hall because they think they are making lots of noise, but it's the barrel roof,we were the same in days gone by.

you drunk mate?

It is true that i am unable to attend every home game but i have been to a home game every season for the last 30 years so i have witnessed how the Hall has changed.

When you say "mythical" what are you basing that on? the comments i made about the North Bank are based on pure fact. Other than what i said in the thread....what other "mythical" tales have you heard, i am intrigued now??

It is true that i am unable to attend every home game but i have been to a home game every season for the last 30 years so i have witnessed how the Hall has changed.

When you say "mythical" what are you basing that on? the comments i made about the North Bank are based on pure fact. Other than what i said in the thread....what other "mythical" tales have you heard, i am intrigued now??
Once there was a big mythical dragon up front and scored 50 goals a season, have you not heard that one:D

I went through my spell of thinking the North Bank was great when I was a teenager in the 80s,how noisy it was, etc. However, I soon learned not much was not going on outside of the middle bit,and when I went in the West Stand you could not hear anything much despite the middle bit doing their best. More importantly, the view was terrible and when Southend attacked the South Bank it was close to silent, you could not see much.Thank goodness you could often transfer into the West Stand.

Personally,I feel today's West Stand on it's day is much better, mainly due to more people. But then again, it's another barrel roof so maybe not so noisy to others.

Just a personal view. Funny how we interpret things differently. It's a bit like when Xavia Shrimper talks about certain things from the past,we wer clearly at the same matches but have completely different opinions.

Apologies for having a pop about your exiled status, not maenat the way it reads.

I went through my spell of thinking the North Bank was great when I was a teenager in the 80s,how noisy it was, etc. However, I soon learned not much was not going on outside of the middle bit,and when I went in the West Stand you could not hear anything much despite the middle bit doing their best. More importantly, the view was terrible and when Southend attacked the South Bank it was close to silent, you could not see much.Thank goodness you could often transfer into the West Stand.

Personally,I feel today's West Stand on it's day is much better, mainly due to more people. But then again, it's another barrel roof so maybe not so noisy to others.

Just a personal view. Funny how we interpret things differently. It's a bit like when Xavia Shrimper talks about certain things from the past,we wer clearly at the same matches but have completely different opinions.

Apologies for having a pop about your exiled status, not maenat the way it reads.

Prodigal......was not taken as a pop mate, the great thing about the human race is that we are not all the same and do think differently.

Maybe i am looking at the old days with rose coloured specs on and maybe this is a debate that has been done to death but to be honest i was getting fed up with all the negativity concentrated on Southends current form.

On that subject......IT ONLY 4 ****ING GAMES FOR **** SAKE :)

What about just 1 game in the North Bank, surely the logistics of that would not break the bank???

Prodigal......was not taken as a pop mate, the great thing about the human race is that we are not all the same and do think differently.

Maybe i am looking at the old days with rose coloured specs on and maybe this is a debate that has been done to death but to be honest i was getting fed up with all the negativity concentrated on Southends current form.

On that subject......IT ONLY 4 ****ING GAMES FOR **** SAKE :)

What about just 1 game in the North Bank, surely the logistics of that would not break the bank???

I think the Police's view on away fans is key, they flow in and out of the North Bank better. How about half a North Bank,maybe stretch round to the West by knocking down a wall? Whoops, sorry, that would cost money and we don't spend.

Maybe as a youngster you were always in the North Bank and can retain those memories which is why I say don't go back, but I moved around and ended up thinking what is the fuss about, and became a fan of the West Stand end to end shuffle, one of my favourite memories.

Just a personal view. Funny how we interpret things differently. It's a bit like when Xabia Shrimper talks about certain things from the past,we wer clearly at the same matches but have completely different opinions.

Yet we have to agree on this particular issue. I spent a lot of time in the North Bank during the 80s and early 90s until the home end went south and the stadium became all-seater thanks to the policy of bolting cheap plastic seats to the existing terracing. I returned to the North Bank for Steve Tilson's testimonial in 2003 and it was a huge disappointment. The legroom is almost as bad as the away end at Kenilworth Road. We all stood throughout the evening but only because it was a testimonial; it would be different for league and cup games and I wouldn't imagine enjoying sitting in the North Bank these days. The noise was terrific on that evening - from just 200 or so - but friends and family on the far side of the ground claimed that they heard very little, thanks to the double-barrel roof which appears to contain the sound.

I wrote an article for 'All At Sea' about the SZ campaign to return to the North Bank that we spearheaded back in the autumn of 2002. At the end of the article, I wrote about the return for Tilson's testimonial and finished with the following observation: "As we walked reluctantly from the stand at the end of the evening, many stopped and took a final look. There were a few knowing looks, familiar glances exchanged, and there were plenty of smiles. But there was also sadness. For we knew then that the North Bank of old could never return."

(Maybe I'll reproduce the article?)

(Maybe I'll reproduce the article?)

Like your summary of the dark days of Martin, Little et al & the hope of a new stadium?

That never the saw the light of day again after much promise. Not a dig, I would just genuinely be interested in reading it all through again!

Sat in the North Bank a year or so ago to watch England's schoolboys play the krauts.

No wonder the oppo fans always moan. It is a disgrace. I'm only 5'7 and even I was cramped for room. And the view - don't.

Not for me thanks. Like others I've subsequently watched a few matches from the North since we were evicted and the view/legroom/facilities are all shocking. I think nostalgia is one of those things that is definitely best kept in the past...

Agree with the last few posts, as I have also been back to the North Bank since our eviction and it is really a poor place to watch a match. So thanks for the alternative thread but you can keep the North Bank for the away fans.

Back