• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Just looking at the squad of players from last season that we no longer have , wondered if its stronger than what we have now .... Jury's out for me , if anything last season looks to have a little more quality.... ( Hall & Mohsni are as good as gone so are included as no longer with us ) ..... WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

..........................................................DANIELS......................................................
DAILLY......................MOHSNI....................................BALDWIN.........................HILLS
......GRANT..............FERDINAND...............................KALALA............................HALL....
........................................DICKINSON........SAMPSON................................................

subs SAWYER STURROCK CRAWFORD MORRIS JOHNSON GILBERT JAMES-LEWIS

V

...............................................SMITH..................................................................
CLOHESSEY......................PHILLIPS.............CRESSWELL.........................BARKER........
LEONARD...............SPICER.....................TIMLIN.....................................HURST........
...........................TOMLIN..............ASSOMBALONGA...............................................

subs HARRIS STRAKER MARTIN BENYON PROSSER BELFORD WOODYARD

Daniels > Smith
Clohessy > Dailly
Phillips > Baldwin
Cresswell > Mohsni
Hills > Barker
Grant > Leonard
Ferdinand > Spicer
Timlin > Kalala
Hall > Hurst
Assombalonga > Dickinson
Tomlin > Sampson

Grant, Hall, Ferdinand and Mohsni were all class acts, on their day. That hole is some void to fill and I have the impression that the jury will be out for probably the next couple of months, especially as there will hopefully still be a few new faces still to come. Tomlin and Cresswell aleady look good additions and one or two others look promising. Assombalonga looks one of our best loan signings since............??? Leon Clarke, Federici, Robson-Kanu, Dervitte???? ESSENTIAL that he stays.

I think we are weaker, with the potential to be stronger.

Problem is too light in the middle of the park as we all know.

Amalagamating last season's and this season's squad I believe this is our best combined team:

Daniels
Clohessy
Phillips
Cresswell
Prosser
Hall
Grant
Timlin
Mohsni
Assombalonga
Eastwood

Subs: Smith (GK), Barker, Ferdinand, Spicer, Hurst, Tomlin, Harris

So 4 players from last season who have now gone make my starting X1, with just the 3 new signings in there from this season. IMHO last season's team was better but not by too much, any side missing the quality of the likes of Hall (in particular) and Mohsni is going to be weakened by that - although it's very interesting that Luggy says team spirit is the best it's been for a long time now so don't underestimate the positive effects of getting rid of Bilel. In my view I'd rather have a slightly less talented squad with a better camaraderie......

Just looking at the squad of players from last season that we no longer have , wondered if its stronger than what we have now .... Jury's out for me , if anything last season looks to have a little more quality.... ( Hall & Mohsni are as good as gone so are included as no longer with us ) ..... WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

..........................................................DANIELS......................................................
DAILLY......................MOHSNI....................................BALDWIN.........................HILLS
......GRANT..............FERDINAND...............................KALALA............................HALL....
........................................DICKINSON........SAMPSON................................................

subs SAWYER STURROCK CRAWFORD MORRIS JOHNSON GILBERT JAMES-LEWIS

V

...............................................SMITH..................................................................
CLOHESSEY......................PHILLIPS.............CRESSWELL.........................BARKER........
LEONARD...............SPICER.....................TIMLIN.....................................HURST........
...........................TOMLIN..............ASSOMBALONGA...............................................

subs HARRIS STRAKER MARTIN BENYON PROSSER BELFORD WOODYARD

The comparison you have put forward doesnt make a lot of sense as Dailly, Baldwin and Sampson were bit part players at best, where is Barker and Phillips !? Clohessy played nearly every game at right back.

I think we have lost a quality player in Hall but have gained (for now at least) Assombalonga.

Our defence is better with Phillips and Cresswell.

Our forward line is better, if you judge it against Dickinson on his own.

Central midfield is light at moment so jury is out there and without Hall and even Mohsni on the wings we are unproven at best there.

i think hurst will be a competent replacement for hall, his delivery looks solid i just wonder if he'll be getting 14 goals a season :S i believe with a couple of midfielders on long term loans we will have a better starting 11 but lack some of the depth we had last year

The squad you have used from last season hardly reflects the team that actually played.

On the whole, Defence is stronger, midfield is severely weaker and the attack is stronger. You can argue Daniels is better, which he probably is, but Smith needs games and has played at a high level- I'm reserving judgement on that one!

Daniels > Smith
Clohessy > Dailly
Phillips > Baldwin
Cresswell > Mohsni
Hills > Barker
Grant > Leonard
Ferdinand > Spicer
Timlin > Kalala
Hall > Hurst
Assombalonga > Dickinson
Tomlin > Sampson

Summed up in a nutshell

A more accurate summary would be

Smith > Morris
Clohessey = Clohessey
Phillips = Phillips
Cresswell > Barker
Straker < Gilbert
Leonard < Hall
Timlin = Timlin
Spicer < Grant
Hurst = Mohsni
Assombalonga > Harris
Tomlin > Dickinson

Considerably weaker, purely because it's a long season and you can't expect to get promoted with the size of the squad we have. Simple as that. Our best team could compete with last years, although it's probably a little weaker. But the squad... well, we don't have one at the moment.

Considerably weaker, purely because it's a long season and you can't expect to get promoted with the size of the squad we have. Simple as that. Our best team could compete with last years, although it's probably a little weaker. But the squad... well, we don't have one at the moment.

Valid point, however I'm sure we won't have to suffer this lack of depth all season as PS knows we are severely lacking numbers. Guess it all depends on the finances but hopefully once Hall goes we'll be able to get at least a couple in to strengthen the midfield. If we can do this then I really do think we can have a very good season, especially if Assombalonga continues his form and the likes of Eastwood (and maybe even Corr) return soon.

Back