• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
I know it's not an exact science, but I thought I'd have a look at post-war managers and their last ten games, for comparison with our current manager. I've given a win 3 points and a draw one point for consistency's sake. Also bear in mind that some managers were sacked and some left to bigger things. (I've omitted Gooding, but left Bate in for comparison)

In order of points gained in last ten games:

1. Fry/Williams - 20 points
3. Thompson/Perry - 19 points
5. Hudson - 18 points
6. Webb (first period)/Clark - 16 points
8. Wignall - 12 points
9. Warren/Fenton/Webb (second period)/Little - 11 points
13. Broome/Rowley/Webb (third period)/Murphy/Newman/Tilson - 10 points
19. Martin/Sturrock - 9 points
21. Moore - 8 points
22. Smith - 7 points
23. Shepherd/Whelan - 6 points
25. Morris/Bate/Taylor - 5 points

Where does Phil sit? 19th - with only 9 points from the last 10 games.

Sturrock was sacked after a run of LLDWLDWLDL. Phil's current run is DLWDLWLDLL - remarkably similar.

ps other notes: Thompson ended his run with 4 wins on the trot.
Newman lost 5 games in a row before his last game in charge, a win against Orient
Taylor didn't win any of his last nine games

Also bear in mind that some managers were sacked and some left to bigger things.

Who actually left for bigger things?

Webby and Thompson left of their own according but had nothing bigger lined up. Judas got relegated to the division beneath us (unless you're counting his purse of silver coins as a bigger thing).

We need a bit of perspective here, Brown has achieved good things in his 3 years as manager and is the guy who finally lifted us back into League One. The last few games have been desperately disappointing but we are still above the likes of Shrewsbury & Bury - both of whom finished above us last season. The Shrews are fighting a relegation battle, something we have never looked in danger of all season. Any promoted side's primary objective is to gather enough points to consolidate in the next division up and we achieved that long ago - this season has been a big success in my book. Yes it's disappointing how it's tailed off (and it did so at a time when we were missing key players, Leonard in particular) but 2015/16 signals PROGRESS.

Another key point to note is that the home games this season have been far and away more exciting than those in 2014/15 - chalk and cheese. This is the first time in 6 or 7 years that I feel my season card has given me real value for money. Has Brown been negative at home? I's like us to go for the throat more when we get ourselves ahead at the Hall but Brown's never been a manager to do that, what I would say though is that we've served up some decent stuff this season and I don't feel short-changed at all. IF Brown is in charge going into next season then he'll have my full support for as long as he deserves it. I would suggest that those who believe he's done a poor job here look back at our league position the day he arrived....

NOTE: That is not in any way to say that Sturrock did a poor job here either. If it wasn't for him we may not even be supporting a Football League club at this moment in time. An extremely astute appointment by Ron and I'm grateful to Luggy for the job he did here, particularly in that first season. People can and will slag Martin off (and in some cases rightly so) but you can't deny he knows how to make good managerial appointments.

We need a bit of perspective here, Brown has achieved good things in his 3 years as manager and is the guy who finally lifted us back into League One. The last few games have been desperately disappointing but we are still above the likes of Shrewsbury & Bury - both of whom finished above us last season. The Shrews are fighting a relegation battle, something we have never looked in danger of all season.

If you want context Shrewsbury sold the ever so impressive Ryan Woods to Brentford and also Connor Goldson to Brighton, both for I think 7 figure fees. They also sold another young player who'd come through their academy and played a handful of games to Burnley.

They should stay up this year - they are 2 points clear with a game in hand - and will have a lot better financial base to build upon.

Possibly, but I dont rate their chances much, their game in hand is away against Walsall, and they still have to face Gillingham away also on Saturday. I think if they do stay up, it will be on the outcome of the Fleetwood V Blackpool game, if Blackpool get a win, Shrewsbury are in the relegation zone, possibly by a point and a worse goal difference.

Although, what ever division they are in next season, given the amount of money you said they have accumalated in selling the players, they should be a viable force in the transfer market.

If you want context Shrewsbury sold the ever so impressive Ryan Woods to Brentford and also Connor Goldson to Brighton, both for I think 7 figure fees. They also sold another young player who'd come through their academy and played a handful of games to Burnley.

They should stay up this year - they are 2 points clear with a game in hand - and will have a lot better financial base to build upon.

Woods and Goldson left in the August window - Shrewsbury have had an entire January transfer window since then to use that revenue generated by those sales with regards to strengthening the squad. From what I heard it was imperative they sold one or both of Woods and Goldson last August as they were in financial difficulty. Do you not think if this wasn't the case they'd have spent some of that in January? Because they are perilously close to relegation which would cost them a whole lot more money. Another key point is why else did they let top-earners like James Collins leave for Northampton on loan in January....is he not miles better than Scott Vernon? With all this in mind plus no additions in January despite the Woods/Goldson sales I'd say this "financial difficulty" rumour is more than likely to be true.

Accurate or not no-one can deny we've had a good season considering we are newly-promoted to L1.

Possibly, but I dont rate their chances much, their game in hand is away against Walsall, and they still have to face Gillingham away also on Saturday. I think if they do stay up, it will be on the outcome of the Fleetwood V Blackpool game, if Blackpool get a win, Shrewsbury are in the relegation zone, possibly by a point and a worse goal difference.

Although, what ever division they are in next season, given the amount of money you said they have accumalated in selling the players, they should be a viable force in the transfer market.

I highly doubt it.

you seen their run in though? tough or what. think it might go down to needing a result on the last day of the season and praying that results go their way:stunned:

Quick update

5. Hudson - 18 points
8. Wignall - 12 points
21. Moore - 8 points
22. Smith - 7 points

Where does Phil sit? 21st - with only 8 points from the last 10 games.

Sturrock was sacked after a run of LLDWLDWLDL. Phil's current run is LWDLWLDLLL - remarkably similar.

Whatever happened to Steve Thompson after he left us ???

left to join Colin Murphy as assistant manager at Notts County, then when that went tits up, joined Nigel Spackman's coaching staff at Sheffield United, made manager when Spackman resigned, and guided the Blades to the play-offs and the semi-finals of the FA Cup, but was replaced by Steve Bruce.

In late December 2004, Thompson was appointed as manager of struggling League Two side Cambridge United, but was made redundant the following summer having failed to prevent Cambridge's relegation to the Conference.

On 12 June 2006 he was appointed manager of Notts County on a three-year deal which was extended by one year in May 2007. County initially showed signs of improving substantially in their first season under the new order, but struggled to maintain a consistent run of good form as the season drew to a close. Thompson was sacked at the start of the 2007–08 season after a poor start that saw the Magpies languishing near the bottom of the table.

He is now a summariser for BBC Radio Lincolnshire on Lincoln City games.

I just don't get all this talk of 'spending transfer money' at our level of the game. It simply doesn't happen any more from what I can see - Bosman saw to that. Most clubs in the bottom 2 leagues haven't paid anything for 90% of their squads - it's all about free transfers and contract length these days. Also, spending money at this level means absolutely FA relative to success. I think Portsmouth have spent more than anyone else in the division below (although still not much) and it hasn't got them up. The only player I can remember us spending on recently was Cian Bolger. Is he head or shoulders above the rest (don't comment on his height) or was that arguably £30k wasted and we should have got someone in on a free?

I just don't get all this talk of 'spending transfer money' at our level of the game. It simply doesn't happen any more from what I can see - Bosman saw to that. Most clubs in the bottom 2 leagues haven't paid anything for 90% of their squads - it's all about free transfers and contract length these days. Also, spending money at this level means absolutely FA relative to success. I think Portsmouth have spent more than anyone else in the division below (although still not much) and it hasn't got them up. The only player I can remember us spending on recently was Cian Bolger. Is he head or shoulders above the rest (don't comment on his height) or was that arguably £30k wasted and we should have got someone in on a free?

Spending relates mainly to wages.

Bolger's £30k transfer fee probably involved £150k in basic salary (£1k a week for 3 years), then maybe a signing on fee (£10k?), bonuses etc. The transfer fee's more of an incidental cost there.

More money allows you to make more mistakes. If you make a bad signing you can just go and make another one. It gives a real advantage even if Pompey haven't made the most of it this year.

Spending relates mainly to wages.

Bolger's £30k transfer fee probably involved £150k in basic salary (£1k a week for 3 years), then maybe a signing on fee (£10k?), bonuses etc. The transfer fee's more of an incidental cost there.

More money allows you to make more mistakes. If you make a bad signing you can just go and make another one. It gives a real advantage even if Pompey haven't made the most of it this year.

Peter Clarke cost us £1m

Updated:

5. Hudson - 18 points
8. Wignall - 12 points
21. Moore - 8 points
22. Smith - 7 points

Phil's current run is currently LDLLLLLLLL - firmly last in the list above.

Updated:

5. Hudson - 18 points
8. Wignall - 12 points
21. Moore - 8 points
22. Smith - 7 points

Phil's current run is currently LLLLWDLWDL - up to 21st, same as Bobby Moore.

Updated:

5. Hudson - 18 points
8. Wignall - 12 points
21. Moore - 8 points
22. Smith - 7 points

Phil's current run is currently LLLLWDLWDL - up to 21st, same as Bobby Moore.
If Bobby Moore had the resources that Brown has..........

Back