• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I can just about remember the last time we paid a transfer fee (I think Bolger, Layne and Straker were the last 3) but the last time we paid a transfer fee for someone over 25?

Would that be Andy Sussex?

Surely there must have been someone since then! (Let's ignore any nominal fees)

Ron was willing to do it for Tyrone Barnett, so it's not out of the question and no doubt someone will point out that we did it in the last few seasons!

It definitely wasn't Andy Sussex.

I've now remembered Mark Stimson, Mike Marsh and a load of crap that Spud swapped for.

Anything since the 90s?

This blog is only 3 years old (so within the Phil Brown era).... but still quite interesting...

https://peterrmiles.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/southend-united-transfer-fees/

If it is still up to date? that would still make Dave Cusack our 5th most expensive signing in our clubs history, commanding a whopping £50k in transfer fee's and still not beaten 38 years later.

That being said, £50k was big money back in the day, you could buy a mansion within the Southend area for that back in 1978, when the average house price was only around 14K.

Blimey I feel old :sad:

So it turns out if we pay a transfer fee for someone, the general rule is they are *****.

Mike Marsh cost £500k !!!!!! How many years ago was that ?
Marky Gower i think was the last player before Bolger , we paid £25k for him

Nah we definitely paid for someone more recently than Gower. Foran was 27 when we signed him (what a waste of cash that was).

Mike Marsh was 1996 I think. Quality player.

The last player we bought over 25, was in fact, both Michael Timlin, who was 28 and Dave Martin who was 26

Southend United have signed midfield duo David Martin and Michael Timlin for undisclosed fees.

Both players have committed to 18-month contracts with the League Two club.

Martin, 26, joins from Derby having made just two starts for the Rams in the past 18 months, and has recently returned from a loan spell at Walsall.

Timlin, 28, has been on loan at Roots Hall from Swindon since the start of the season and has made 16 league appearances under Paul Sturrock.

The Shrimpers boss says both of those deals involve "small fees".

This was January 2012

The last over-25 before that was Foran.

Oh and Gower was 24 when he signed.

before that was Graeme Jones.

before that we paid for Carruthers

all these on transfermarkt.co.uk

Back