• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Late substitutions - why?

Leighite

Youth Team
Apologies if this has already been said but can anyone explain to me why after calling Black from warming up along the touchline it took another 10 minutes to get him on the pitch as substitute? What was the reason for the delay? With that heat we needed some fresh legs and the 10 men out there were knackered and weren't doing too much to get us a goal.

As for the 10 men, McCormack should be ashamed of himself for getting involved with Thornton. After being booked, he was on a knife edge to get sent off and rose to the bait Thornton was waving about. Don't blame Thornton, yes he went down like a tart but what was the ref doing? He should have stepped on it all but Thornton played for fouls and got away with it. However, what a player he is, he must be the best in their team.

You can't get way from it we were very poor, struggled to worry their goal and looked shaky at the back against a team tipped for relegation. Do something Tilly/Ron.

I think that was because Maher was limping about just before they were due to bring him on, so they delayed the substitution. I guess they didn't want to bring Gower off for Black if Maher had to go off as well.

What was the idea of playing Harrold up front on his own all about? Its pretty obvious that he is not the sort of striker that can play in his own

What was the idea of playing Harrold up front on his own all about? Its pretty obvious that he is not a striker...

:finger:

What was the idea of playing Harrold up front on his own all about? Its pretty obvious that he is not a striker...

:finger:

thats what i thought. he never looks like he's going to score with another striker helping him let alone him being the only striker. looks to me so very negative. 2-1 down with a few mins to go why not stick 3 men up front. fare enough this may cause to concede another goal but its these sort of decisions that either win or lose a game. need a bit of bottle.

rather than leaving it until the last 5 mins to make a ineffective sub

Earlier substitutions are going to be key for us, I think. We have a strength in depth that will mean we are not going to weaken the team by substitutions and it may well give players the requisite 'kick up the backside' they need to stay focussed if they know that they will be subtituted by someone who has the time on the pitch to show Tilly that they are worth a place in the next starting 11.

last season we never really used to have many options on the bench but this season even with the injuries we have i think the bench is looking pretty good. why not use them?

What was the idea of playing Harrold up front on his own all about? Its pretty obvious that he is not the sort of striker that can play in his own

It's pretty obvious he is not the sort of stiker that can play at all...

My mates dad once asked Tilson why he always took so late to make subs and tilson replied "We've won two promotions with it"

Yeah, and he might get two relegations with the same "tactics"!!

I'm sorry but the first game of the season, in August, Orient had three fresh players on the pitch and we wait until the final minute to put Black on.:fury:

Some of the players looked knacked by 70mins.

And if tilson thought that Harrold was ever going to score on Saturday then he has a very odd way of looking at the game!

Also, before people start saying he got us two promotions...no he didn't, Eastwood and Flavs did!!

Yeah, and he might get two relegations with the same "tactics"!!

I'm sorry but the first game of the season, in August, Orient had three fresh players on the pitch and we wait until the final minute to put Black on.:fury:

Some of the players looked knacked by 70mins.

And if tilson thought that Harrold was ever going to score on Saturday then he has a very odd way of looking at the game!

Also, before people start saying he got us two promotions...no he didn't, Eastwood and Flavs did!!

Wrong, MacDonald came on in the last minute, Black was on about 10 minutes from the end.

I'll assume from your post that as only Flavs & Eastwood got us promotion, then football is only a two man game.:confused:

If we hadn't of had Eastwood we would not have had the two promotions, I think most would agree with that, and Flavs had the best two seasons i have ever seen from one of our keepers, he was outstanding!!

No it's not a two man game but without those two (although mainly Eastwood!) we would still be in League 2

Yes, ok I got the subs names mixed up :o but they were still both too late.

I just hope Tilly learns this season or it could be a painfull 9 months!!:(

If we hadn't of had Eastwood we would not have had the two promotions, I think most would agree with that, and Flavs had the best two seasons i have ever seen from one of our keepers, he was outstanding!!

No it's not a two man game but without those two (although mainly Eastwood!) we would still be in League 2

Yes, ok I got the subs names mixed up :o but they were still both too late.

I just hope Tilly learns this season or it could be a painfull 9 months!!:(

I don't disagree with you, however football like all team games is a sum of all the parts. Players like Eastwood grab most of the attention purely because they are goal scorers. We would not of won two promotions without a good team ethic & spirit.

I am sure Tilson is after another striker, but unfortunately he can't wave a magic wand and suddenly a 25 goal a season man drops in. More's the pity.

We were very big on team spirit/confidence/belief- call it what you will- in our promotion winning seasons. We always believed we could and would score; even when we went goals down we believed we would win. This team ethic can be the difference between victory and defeat and if we can get on a roll in this league we may begin to see our players, particularly the strikers, hitting new and higher standards. Players that may look a little ordinary now can be transformed with a little belief. The problem with all this is getting to the point where our performances and results generate this confidence. I don't know the answer- that's why I would be no good as a manager- but I do trust Tilly and Brush to get this right.

Back