• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit too simplistic and likely still too little income to totally redevelop the current stadium to even a half-decent standard. There's also added cost of a ground-share for at least a season whilst such a project was undertaken and parking for cars belonging to these umpteen flats to be considered, what space would be available for them? Does the car park as it is now cater for a couple of hundred cars?

Or look at it like this. The current climate for housing is booming and housing is in ridiculously low supply.

If we sold root hall off for purely housing of 1, 2, 3 bed flats at an average of 175k.

There is potentially room there for about 200 flats. 200 flats at 175k = £35,000,000 - building costs of 50% (arguable) = £17,500,000.

Are we likely to get any more than that for any development?

The council are under immense pressure to build build build from the government due to shortage. This to me looks the best and most obvious answer.

I thought that was the plan. After we have moved to FF.

Don't see the redevelopment of Roots Hall as viable. The site is not big enough and the profit margins too low. The cynic in me thinks that the FF plan gets bigger and grander all the time because Ron needs more and more enabling development to replace the money that goes down the drain for every month this project is delayed.

There's a very real chance the proposed scheme is now so big the council will just say no. A planning application has not even been submitted yet and with the construction sector (including British Land) in crisis and Brexit threatening to put us back into recession, it looks like Ron is about to be hit for a second time by bad economic conditions.

My view is Ron will never build this. We are dying a slow death because he will cling onto his FF dream until the end. Meanwhile how long before Roots Hall gets so decrepit it gets a safety certificate denied, or worse there is an accident? The club won't spend any money while FF is still on the horizon and believe me the staff have bought into it hook line and sinker.

The only way we can go forward is for Ron to go and for someone with very deep pockets and some actual ability to come in and deliver FF. It looks pretty unlikely.

I really think it's time we just admitted, that being the club, that it isn't happening for a long time. To not even have planning permission applied for shows how far behind we are. Every year though Ron releases news to appease us. He attempted that with the show they had at Roots Hall previously. Just admit it won't happen and try elsewhere or redevelop RH as mentioned.

Don't see the redevelopment of Roots Hall as viable. The site is not big enough and the profit margins too low. The cynic in me thinks that the FF plan gets bigger and grander all the time because Ron needs more and more enabling development to replace the money that goes down the drain for every month this project is delayed.

There's a very real chance the proposed scheme is now so big the council will just say no. A planning application has not even been submitted yet and with the construction sector (including British Land) in crisis and Brexit threatening to put us back into recession, it looks like Ron is about to be hit for a second time by bad economic conditions.

My view is Ron will never build this. We are dying a slow death because he will cling onto his FF dream until the end. Meanwhile how long before Roots Hall gets so decrepit it gets a safety certificate denied, or worse there is an accident? The club won't spend any money while FF is still on the horizon and believe me the staff have bought into it hook line and sinker.

The only way we can go forward is for Ron to go and for someone with very deep pockets and some actual ability to come in and deliver FF. It looks pretty unlikely.

I totally agree, Jai. Without planning permission being sought, it isn't even "on the horizon", either. I guarantee most people won't bring this up until the results are poor. That's why he's so keen to keep a top manager in charge. He knows that while the results are OK, the majority of fans will just live with the conditions at RH, with the promise of the new ground. Personally, I think it's time he looked to sell up. I appreciate everything he's done to keep the club afloat, but it needs someone with money behind them (not borrowed money), to complete the project.

Great post. Its how I see it too. Admit defeat and offer the club to someone with the idea of a club the can progress and is likely to get planning with the right funds.

Could be a great project for someone with deep pockets (ie) foreign money. After all there aren't that many bigger clubs left.

I totally agree, Jai. Without planning permission being sought, it isn't even "on the horizon", either. I guarantee most people won't bring this up until the results are poor. That's why he's so keen to keep a top manager in charge. He knows that while the results are OK, the majority of fans will just live with the conditions at RH, with the promise of the new ground. Personally, I think it's time he looked to sell up. I appreciate everything he's done to keep the club afloat, but it needs someone with money behind them (not borrowed money), to complete the project.

I've been saying it for years tbf, and as I have eluded to many times on here, have even offered my assistance to the Club FOC without as much as a polite decline.
I've now lost interest in the whole saga, as I know that we are stuck with RM for the long term future, which conversely means we cannot grow off the field in the way that we need to genuinely capitalise on any future promotions.
Still, at least RM and SK will get asked the tough questions about kit choices at every fan forum...

nylons has any updates concerning this?? The club hasn't issued anything about this since last October.

If the Echo report today is to be believed, the Cinema complex development on the Sea View carpark site is back on. Where does that leave the Fossetts Farm Cinema complex I wonder?

Also noticed that the council are very worried that if the sea view site goes ahead it will take away even more carpark spaces for the trippers to park up .And it may not do the sea front trade any help .

If the Echo report today is to be believed, the Cinema complex development on the Sea View carpark site is back on. Where does that leave the Fossetts Farm Cinema complex I wonder?

Dont need 3 cinemas in Southend for sure, and two either ends of the High Street makes no sense.

Still dont see that being a good site for one. Awful to get to, Id rather go to Basildon than through town to the seafront.

Plus I dont see it as a good attraction for the daytrippers, no one is going to come down for the day and go to the cinema.

Looks as though FF has real competition with the Seaway development.

There is no competition. The seaway project is run by developers who have the means and a sound plan. Fossetts is a load of bollox to string us all along to help maintain Rons lifestyle coupled with the fact Ron can not deliver the stadium at all

There is no competition. The seaway project is run by developers who have the means and a sound plan. Fossetts is a load of bollox to string us all along to help maintain Rons lifestyle coupled with the fact Ron can not deliver the stadium at all

Seaway looks anything but a sound plan. Where on earth are people going to park? And are people really going to endure the traffic all the way through town for it? It will never happen, but Fossetts is far more viable IMO

Seaway looks anything but a sound plan. Where on earth are people going to park? And are people really going to endure the traffic all the way through town for it? It will never happen, but Fossetts is far more viable IMO

If Seaway "will never happen" how can FF be "far more viable?" :unsure:

Because Fossetts incorporates plenty of parking. The seafront traders are livid about the changes to Seaway, and anyone who has ever tried to get into Southend on a sunny weekend day can testify as to the long queues that build up back through the town and along Western Esplanade. I don't personally have an issue with what they're planning, but it simply has to include a good amount of parking.....that or the council has to put in a decent park and ride service (still think this would be a good idea for Fossetts eventually too).

Sorry Tangled, don't want to spoil your day but I liked your post by mistake. Not that you don't have appoint. Best to look through the ' FF has a direct competitor ' thread.

Yet Seaway doesnt actually make much sense. If we are told by the opponents of FFwe dont need a cinema at Fossetts then there is no way on earth we need another one walking distance of the existing one.

A leisure park at Fossetts makes perfect sense, the location could be better as it has the bottleneck to get through after Cuckoo Corner, however its a far better location than down the seafront. It would actually be easier for me to get to Basildon than Seaway.

The only problem with Fossetts is as you say the ability to deliver, but that doenst mean Seaway is the better plan.

Back