• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest news

I actually think due to the airports continued expansion and passenger numbers that a Hotel chain may see it as an easy way into the market.

Why wouldn't RM give a flying ****? He can't afford to build it now but in the future he might, or he may take some investment and payout a return on the income that the stand will bring.

Ron Martin cant afford to build the stadium as it is.

If he can get back his "investment" at the point that 3 sides are built (ie because Roots Hall is sold) then would he really want to hang around and have to try to lose more money building the rest.

I think if after 3 sides he still has the opportunity to make money he will stick around but I wouldnt be surprised if he cut his losses if he can.

I actually think due to the airports continued expansion and passenger numbers that a Hotel chain may see it as an easy way into the market.

Even with a hotel built next to the Airport, and a hotel at the end of the road buy Strawberry fields?

How many hotels do we need ?

Did the club ever entertain the thought of building a stadium along that vast expanse of waste land on Prior Crescent.

I would've thought that since then the amount of time it's taken for the stadium to get taken hold of it's worth investigating it. Think it'd be a better location to.

Ron Martin cant afford to build the stadium as it is.

If he can get back his "investment" at the point that 3 sides are built (ie because Roots Hall is sold) then would he really want to hang around and have to try to lose more money building the rest.

I think if after 3 sides he still has the opportunity to make money he will stick around but I wouldnt be surprised if he cut his losses if he can.

Even with a hotel built next to the Airport, and a hotel at the end of the road buy Strawberry fields?

How many hotels do we need ?

A lot more than we have, when i come back to Southend i stay in hotels. The last time i was due down a couple of weeks ago there wasnt a room free at all of the hotels. Even the Park inn was full.

I see what you mean Jon but ask Oxford what happened to their 4th stand after the ex chairman vanished.

At least Oxford have a main stand. I still cant think of another club in this country that has built a new ground without a main stand. Anyway the time its taking to start this new ground surely RM would have found someone to fund the main stand!

A three sided new ground without a main stand is hardly likely to attract many new fans. If we had moved into our new 3 sided ground this season would we have seen a near capacity crowd for our first game?

Oh well cant be long before work starts as everything was 90% sorted last November.

I would've thought that since then the amount of time it's taken for the stadium to get taken hold of it's worth investigating it. Think it'd be a better location to.

Why would that make any difference, would a stadium be cheaper on that location?

Trying to shift the location from one to another is completely unfeasible, especially as it would be about 500 yards as the crow flies.

To be positive; the council have come "on side" now; they want it to start,and that is a shift in their position. Other councils (such as Colch*****) have helped from the start but it has taken ours years to realise that the town needs the jobs & developments at the current Sainsburys, Vic Ave, and FF. I do believe it will start soon and that it will be a good thing for the town and us Blues.

It has to come along and sharpish.

I cannot see how we can survive without it.

The whole point in moving was to generate extra revenue from other streams. Such as improved corporate offerings, hotel, conference facilities, restaurant etc. But with none of those facilities available in the short to mid-term, unless crowds are very decent I cannot see how we can be increasing revenue.

All very concerning in my eyes. I mean what happens if the stadium gets built and nobody is interested in stumping up the cash for the 4th side?...We would be in no better a position than we are at RH. Our survival hinges on that 4th side being built. Without it, we are finished.

Will Ron really care, he would of kept his end of the bargain up by developing a "football stadium" and then can happily develop RonWorld and earn himself a nice retirement fund...

Or am I worrying too much?

Yes we would we would have retail outlets paying us rent!

Either is fine!!! why? Ron stays afloat we stay afloat at the present time

It is all about timing. If the 3 sides are built and then RM sods off he will take the retail stuff with him. We may ( or may not ) get income from retail, but personally I think he will cop the lot.

It is all about timing. If the 3 sides are built and then RM sods off he will take the retail stuff with him. We may ( or may not ) get income from retail, but personally I think he will cop the lot.

I agree! I believe once this is built he will call in the rent then jog on a happy man ..... unless he dies before hand then as a club we will be ****ed

No we wont. Ron has already said any income from the retail side, will NOT benefit the club.

I thought he said that it would benefit the club, but never go any more specific than that vague comment, RM has been pushed , I think Paul Fitz raised this with him some years ago, to go into more details about income sharing, ground rental etc, but he said little other than vague assurances that the club would benefit

I thought I read that the reason for three sides is that Sainsbury are only committed to building the football stadium- not the commercial aspects. Hence one project fot the 14,000 seats, the 4th side is attached to the hotel and hence an invester will need to be found to take this project on (cant see Ron doing it on its own). The airport thing makes finding that investor more likely.

However does this not mean that the 4th side will be built irrespective of the need for the extra seats for footballing reasons?

I thought I read that the reason for three sides is that Sainsbury are only committed to building the football stadium- not the commercial aspects. Hence one project fot the 14,000 seats, the 4th side is attached to the hotel and hence an invester will need to be found to take this project on (cant see Ron doing it on its own). The airport thing makes finding that investor more likely.

However does this not mean that the 4th side will be built irrespective of the need for the extra seats for footballing reasons?
Thats correct. However we are yet to see the 3 sided disaster go up yet, let alone the 4th side!

In fact, the plans have not even been passed for the 3 sided stadium yet.

Back