• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest -Southend United -Manager

Afternoon everyone

Sunday and all day yesterday, Gary Lockett, Tom Lawrence and I ( Ron will attend final interviews) turned a long list into a much shorter one in the hunt for an exciting new Southend United managerial team.

I'd like to thank Gary and Tom for their excellent due diligence, hard work in making sure we looked at every candidate from every possible angle, and their input which continued long into the night.

I suggested dividing the final candidates list between the 3 of us ( plus the club officially where appropriate), contacting them and starting a full day of interviews tomorrow. To that end I've contacted my number of candidates and they are delighted to have made the final cut.

Final number to be interviewed I won't divulge. It will ultimately be Ron's decision how many he ( plus Gary, Tom and I) wants to interview. My view is simple. The more the better. We need to find the right person for this wonderful role(s) so we should give everyone identified an opportunity to put their vision forward. Ultimately though Ron will decide how many.

Was up until 5am this morning putting a chapter and verse document together about the remaining candidates, all that's missing is what they like for breakfast and how many sugars in their tea. But I'll have that before interview. Ron will then be fully armed with an A class appraisal of each candidate which he will get the benefit of hearing from the 3 guys prior to him being involved. A busy many, yes, but he will have soup to nuts on every candidate.

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around on the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish us luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line in the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing, shows integrity and is worthy of the name Southend United.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.

Last edited:
Afternoon everyone

Sunday and all day yesterday, Gary Lockett, Tom Lawrence and I ( Ron will attend final interviews) turned a long list into a much shorter one in the hunt for an exciting new Southend United managerial team.

I'd like to thank Gary and Tom for their excellent due diligence, hard work in making sure we looked at every candidate from every possible angle, and their input which continued long into the night.

I suggested dividing the final candidates list between the 3 of us ( plus the club officially where appropriate), contacting them and starting a full day of interviews tomorrow. To that end I've contacted my number of candidates and they are delighted to have made the final cut.

Final number to be interviewed I won't divulge. It will ultimately be Ron's decision how many he ( plus Gary, Tom and I) wants to interview. My view is simple. The more the better. We need to find the right person for this wonderful role(s) so we should give everyone identified an opportunity to put their vision forward. Ultimately though Ron will decide how many.

Waa up until 5am this morning putting a chapter and verse document together about the remaining candidates, all that's missing is what they like for breakfast and how many sugars in their tea. But I'll have that before interview. Ron will then be fully armed with an A class appraisal of each candidate which he will get the benefit of hearing from the 3 guys prior to him being involved. A busy many, yes, but he will have soup to nuts on every candidate.

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around in the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish is luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line on the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing and is appropriate where Southend United Football Club will be heading in the future.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.
This, right here, is how to manage a recruitment process. I've managed recruitment campaigns myself and there are ways of doing things which are fair, structured, diligent, transparent and have integrity. Recruiting is (or should be) no different just because it's football, just like the need for basic man management skills are no different.

Oh ! About time you woke up Stan ?
I like the look of your job, up till 5am, bit of me that.
Unfortunately i'm up at 3am to go buy fish every day. Dont be afraid to message me at that time in the morning if youre unsure about anything. I scored at both ends of Roots Hall in a Sunday league cup final, i know what i'm talking about on here ?

Thanks Stan for all your hard work and effort, it's critically important that this process is taken seriously and completely quickly, you clearly understand that.

Afternoon everyone

Was up until 5am this morning putting a chapter and verse document together about the remaining candidates, all that's missing is what they like for breakfast and how many sugars in their tea. But I'll have that before interview. Ron will then be fully armed with an A class appraisal of each candidate which he will get the benefit of hearing from the 3 guys prior to him being involved. A busy many, yes, but he will have soup to nuts on every candidate.

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around in the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish is luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line on the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing and is appropriate where Southend United Football Club will be heading in the future.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.

Thanks for the update Stan. Are these face to face interviews at this stage or a zoom/teams call as a first step?

Good luck Stan and the team. Let's hope this is finally the right man for the job and we are about to begin our slow recovery back to being an EFL club.

I does beg the question. Who will be in the dugout Saturday.

Afternoon everyone

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around on the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish us luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line in the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing, shows integrity and is worthy of the name Southend United.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.
Stan thanks for the update, excellent work from all those involved in the process so far. This appointment is absolutely critical as has already been highlighted by others and it will really give everyone a lift if we can get back to winning ways on the pitch. I assume each candidate that is interviewed will be questioned about who their backroom staff would be as coaching, etc is also a vital element.

Good luck Stan and the team. Let's hope this is finally the right man for the job and we are about to begin our slow recovery back to being an EFL club.

Would imagine barring a bit of a circus and Stan stepping in himself, it will be Ricky Duncan and/or John White?

Absolute precarious position to be in at home to a banana skin FA cup opponent. Not ideal timing (but absolutely had to be done).

Afternoon everyone

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.

Thank you Stan! SUFC legend

Possibly the new management team, things are moving quickly.

Back