• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest -Southend United -Manager

Thank you Stan. This is music to most fans’ ears.

You spoke previously about the team not having an identity/DNA (be it attacking football/attractive passing game/counter attacking etc)

Have you identified an identity you want the manager to ascribe to or are you looking for the manager to provide this?
If players cant make a 5yd pass i'm sure the East stand will inform them how **** they are ! Poor old Mark Gower had to wait until he got into the Championship before the East stand loved him ? worth bearing in mind the top of the East stand, you actually lose sight of the ball if it gets thumped that high, so my suggestion is to play it around like a Tilson team.

Thank you Stan. This is music to most fans’ ears.

You spoke previously about the team not having an identity/DNA (be it attacking football/attractive passing game/counter attacking etc)

Have you identified an identity you want the manager to ascribe to or are you looking for the manager to provide this?
You would think it would come from the DoF/CEO initially.

But maybe in our position we dont have that luxury of setting it first and perhaps will come organically in the interview process with each candidate.

I.e. "what style of play do you see us as playing? Have you got a Plan B that differs greatly from that" etc.

Then go away with Tom/Stan/Ron and say "we liked X's philosphy and that would be a good club DNA going forward"

Just my personal feeling, but thank you for giving me hope that things at Southend Utd can turn around after what’s been a nightmare 3/4 years for Shrimpers. I’m 100% behind you Stan and thanks again for everything you are doing to help. Someone with your experience and love for the club is exactly what we need and long may your involvement continue. UTB ?

Possibly the new management team, things are moving quickly.
At this stage (list of around 10 names, main interviews starting tomorrow), that would feel incredibly rushed now to have someone in place for Saturday.

What I would find very interesting, is our directors box Saturday!

Do we have any news on the recruitment team? I'd love to hear we'd brought someone new in here as well.

Would imagine barring a bit of a circus and Stan stepping in himself, it will be Ricky Duncan and/or John White?

Absolute precarious position to be in at home to a banana skin FA cup opponent. Not ideal timing (but absolutely had to be done).

I’d be shocked to see RD involved in first team affairs, even as a caretaker manager.

He has just been demoted back to the academy, and can consider himself lucky to still have a job at the football club, so to have him involved in anything to do with the first team would be a huge mistake.

A breath of fresh air, thank-you Stan for the update, let`s hope we sort this mess of a club out and move onto positive outcomes on the pitch. I enjoyed watching you play for us back in the day and really appreciate you helping and advising at this important time for the club. Keep up the good work.

I’d be shocked to see RD involved in first team affairs, even as a caretaker manager.

He has just been demoted back to the academy, and can consider himself lucky to still have a job at the football club, so to have him involved in anything to do with the first team would be a huge mistake.
Why is he lucky still to be in a job?

Cant see any other choice though, maybe it will actually be White and/or Demi, plus the Youth Team manager?

Would like to think Mark Stimson may get a look in on this list.
Essex boy. Ex player. Has years of experience around the non-league, and has promotions and FA Trophies to his name.
Conducted himself impeccably during difficult times at Thurrock.

Why is he lucky still to be in a job?

RD has, effectively, been DoF since the Powell days. He has been doing this role, or what you would consider a DoF role to look like in everything but name. PB was the one who mentioned

I know some people, yourself included, think RD hasn’t been given time to implement a style of play, a DNA etc and was given a “dinosaur manager” in PB but that isn’t true. RD was one of the people behind PB coming back to the football club, not just RM.

He has been under performing in his role since he wasn’t just head of academy. He has been involved in the first team since Powell, so including with Bond, Waddock, MM and Brown. He has been a constant factor in the first team, and been overlooked when we’ve had backroom clear outs for a while.

Also, with the mounting pressure from SC saying that the four (Brown, Fagan, Duncan and Robinson) all need to be sacked, Duncan and Robinson (At present) can consider themselves lucky to still be here, although I suspect if SC is given a formal role at the Club, it’ll be bye bye Robinson.

Cant see any other choice though, maybe it will actually be White and/or Demi, plus the Youth Team manager?

Im not clear as to who it’ll be. Possibly one of the youth team managers stepping up for this cup game and having a new guy in for the next league game.

Afternoon everyone

Sunday and all day yesterday, Gary Lockett, Tom Lawrence and I ( Ron will attend final interviews) turned a long list into a much shorter one in the hunt for an exciting new Southend United managerial team.

I'd like to thank Gary and Tom for their excellent due diligence, hard work in making sure we looked at every candidate from every possible angle, and their input which continued long into the night.

I suggested dividing the final candidates list between the 3 of us ( plus the club officially where appropriate), contacting them and starting a full day of interviews tomorrow. To that end I've contacted my number of candidates and they are delighted to have made the final cut.

Final number to be interviewed I won't divulge. It will ultimately be Ron's decision how many he ( plus Gary, Tom and I) wants to interview. My view is simple. The more the better. We need to find the right person for this wonderful role(s) so we should give everyone identified an opportunity to put their vision forward. Ultimately though Ron will decide how many.

Was up until 5am this morning putting a chapter and verse document together about the remaining candidates, all that's missing is what they like for breakfast and how many sugars in their tea. But I'll have that before interview. Ron will then be fully armed with an A class appraisal of each candidate which he will get the benefit of hearing from the 3 guys prior to him being involved. A busy many, yes, but he will have soup to nuts on every candidate.

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around on the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish us luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line in the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing, shows integrity and is worthy of the name Southend United.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.
Stan collymore Barmy army

Lets hope who ever gets the job Is one aloud to run the team without Ron poking his nose in .And two given a little more money to bring in some younger players to replace Browns dads army .

Lets hope who ever gets the job Is one aloud to run the team without Ron poking his nose in .And two given a little more money to bring in some younger players to replace Browns dads army .
You talking about all the over 30s we have lol

In RM’s defence, he doesn’t poke his nose in on managerial selections, or things like that.

He trusts the people he has put in place, like PB until the weekend, to make the right decisions. RM is fully aware he isn’t a football manager, like none of us are, so although he will have his opinions, and will speak to managers about first team affairs, he never forces a player on a manager to start/not start.

The decisions that the likes of Powell, Bond, Waddock, MM & Brown both times around made on the pitch were their own decisions and would only be influenced by members of their coaching staff. PB did mention that RD was a huge fan or Rush, and mentioned him on more than one occasion.

Im not clear as to who it’ll be. Possibly one of the youth team managers stepping up for this cup game and having a new guy in for the next league game.
You got any insight on who could be the next manager

This is how the recruitment process should go, with the added part of thanking them for applying and being interested - the small things count.

It baffles me how Stan has absolutely no experience (I presume) in the past of hiring and finding the right candidate, yet the way this has been conduct is probably the most professional way our club has ever done it.

Back