• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest -Southend United -Manager

You got any insight on who could be the next manager

None whatsoever.

Whenever he/she is announced, it’ll be news to me like it will to you. Everything is being kept a lot closer to chests than it was before.

SC is very transparent with what he does, so if he has a role at the Club, and I 100% believe he should, my “in the know” knowledge, will more than likely be general knowledge.

None whatsoever.

Whenever he/she is announced, it’ll be news to me like it will to you. Everything is being kept a lot closer to chests than it was before.

SC is very transparent with what he does, so if he has a role at the Club, and I 100% believe he should, my “in the know” knowledge, will more than likely be general knowledge.
So there is a 50% chance it's a lady. Thank you for your inside info. ?

Stan,
Excellent work and progress from the 'SUFC three', some way to go but firm foundations laid for this key part of the overhaul. Keep up the great work...but make sure you catch-up on your sleep especially if you're going to be driving!

I can echo the appreciation and thanks many have offered already Stan. I was firmly in the belief that once again this would be another drawn out saga lasted 2/3 weeks whereby every few days Ron would release a statement talking about how close we were to appointing someone but instead it seems with your help, this should be done sooner rather than later and what’s more, done the proper way with the best interest of our football club at heart.

All good stuff, well done.

The "what style of football" do you like to play question amuses me. Surely nowones gonna say.

"I like the centre back to clump it up the park and hope someone gets on the end of it. Then sit back for a 1-0"

Would like to think Mark Stimson may get a look in on this list.
Essex boy. Ex player. Has years of experience around the non-league, and has promotions and FA Trophies to his name.
Conducted himself impeccably during difficult times at Thurrock.

That's assuming he wants to get a look in. He may have more sense.

This is how the recruitment process should go, with the added part of thanking them for applying and being interested - the small things count.

It baffles me how Stan has absolutely no experience (I presume) in the past of hiring and finding the right candidate, yet the way this has been conduct is probably the most professional way our club has ever done it.
It is pretty basic stuff, just being a decent person really.

You are right though, the way you conduct yourself goes a long way

The "what style of football" do you like to play question amuses me. Surely nowones gonna say.

"I like the centre back to clump it up the park and hope someone gets on the end of it. Then sit back for a 1-0"
They'd say it another way. Probably something like:

Defensively tight, taking no risks in our own half. Playing football when we are in the oppositions half, playing the percentages and getting results.

Or Sturrock style as we knew it. That was long ball stuff, I didn't particularly like it but it definitely served a purpose and arrested a decline.

Although I applaud the openness and structure of the interview process, I also find it shocking that this isn’t the norm at our club.
Micky and Mouse come to mind.. tbf, we had him manage a few times recently

Afternoon everyone

Sunday and all day yesterday, Gary Lockett, Tom Lawrence and I ( Ron will attend final interviews) turned a long list into a much shorter one in the hunt for an exciting new Southend United managerial team.

I'd like to thank Gary and Tom for their excellent due diligence, hard work in making sure we looked at every candidate from every possible angle, and their input which continued long into the night.

I suggested dividing the final candidates list between the 3 of us ( plus the club officially where appropriate), contacting them and starting a full day of interviews tomorrow. To that end I've contacted my number of candidates and they are delighted to have made the final cut.

Final number to be interviewed I won't divulge. It will ultimately be Ron's decision how many he ( plus Gary, Tom and I) wants to interview. My view is simple. The more the better. We need to find the right person for this wonderful role(s) so we should give everyone identified an opportunity to put their vision forward. Ultimately though Ron will decide how many.

Was up until 5am this morning putting a chapter and verse document together about the remaining candidates, all that's missing is what they like for breakfast and how many sugars in their tea. But I'll have that before interview. Ron will then be fully armed with an A class appraisal of each candidate which he will get the benefit of hearing from the 3 guys prior to him being involved. A busy many, yes, but he will have soup to nuts on every candidate.

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around on the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish us luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line in the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing, shows integrity and is worthy of the name Southend United.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.
Thanks Stan for your Fantastic Input.
Glad to hear that Ron is putting his faith in you guys.
COYB UTB

The "Phil Brown"?

I do hope we get someone who knows the London, south coast and East Anglia football ecology, league and non league. We need to embed ourselves in these networks if we want any kind of sustainable success. Our two most successful managers, Webb and Tilson had extensive knowledge, contacts and experience in this area , plus Fry of course. Let’s not ignore why / how we have been successful in the past.

In RM’s defence, he doesn’t poke his nose in on managerial selections, or things like that.

He trusts the people he has put in place, like PB until the weekend, to make the right decisions. RM is fully aware he isn’t a football manager, like none of us are, so although he will have his opinions, and will speak to managers about first team affairs, he never forces a player on a manager to start/not start.

The decisions that the likes of Powell, Bond, Waddock, MM & Brown both times around made on the pitch were their own decisions and would only be influenced by members of their coaching staff. PB did mention that RD was a huge fan or Rush, and mentioned him on more than one occasion.

How did Akinola get back in the team? Was that really PB's decision? He said in the post match interview that he didn't know who was in charge anymore sounded like he was 'persuaded' to let Sim play?

Back