• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest -Southend United -Manager

PB made his judgement on Akinola on evidence.

The whole “cup of tea” thing was a throw away comment. He never said anything derogatory about Akinola, he simply didn’t rate him which any manager is allowed to do.

Maybe Akinola plays a starring role under a new manager and makes PB’s decision a bad one, or maybe a new manager comes in and comes to the same conclusion PB did. Time will tell.

Look at Mourinho, he has KDB, Salah and Lukaku all under his guidance at Chelsea, he didn’t rate them and they weren’t “his cup of tea” and they’ve been outstanding since. Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Steve Tilson, Dave Webb and any manager you can think of has wrote off players that have done well elsewhere and they’ve all made success of players other managers didn’t rate. Happens at the top level all the way down to Sunday league.
Managers are always ultimately judged on their results. Phil was judged on his and was found wanting so we can assume a few of the decisions he made must have been wrong.
I am not sure at any stage of his career PB did enough to mentioned in the same sentence as Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger, Tilly or Webby but as has been often said here...its a game of opinions!

Managers are always ultimately judged on their results. Phil was judged on his and was found wanting so we can assume a few of the decisions he made must have been wrong.
I am not sure at any stage of his career PB did enough to mentioned in the same sentence as Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger, Tilly or Webby but as has been often said here...its a game of opinions!

I wasn’t comparing PB to those guys in that sense, and saying their achievements match.

I was pointing out that even top managers discard players that go onto be successful elsewhere, and they also turn other people’s “rejects” into their own top player.

Football is littered with those types of stories.

With Akinola, we will only know if PB was right or wrong to discard him when a new manager comes in and either comes to the same conclusion, or decides he is his “cup of tea” and earns a starting berth and repays that faith.

Time will tell. I never want any player, manager, backroom staff member or whoever to fail with us, but unfortunately some do.

The thing is with Phil, he’s never been any different in that when his team lose, he openly criticises players. It makes me sad really that he looked so lost, clearly he underestimated the NL big time (RD also). I knew his time was up with those bizarre team selections and his total lack of action on the touch line. He’d well and truly lost his mojo.

The new manager hopefully will be enthusiastic, full of ideas and think a bit more long term .. we should be recruiting hungry players with a sell on value and still at their peak (or approaching it). Hopefully Stan’s contacts and influence will help persuade a few of those to come to Southend.

Dartford manager Steve King would be worth considering, his current club are top of atonal League South and are unbeaten this season. He has had success at various National League clubs and knows his way around the non league scene in London and the South.
Not saying he's not a good manager but aren't Dartford lobbing cash at it this season? Money isn't everything but it certainly helps, and he won't be getting that here.

Back