• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Laurent pushing for promotion ?

Francis Laurent is looking for a promotion push in the second half of the season.
This may be a tough ask, and will depend on weather we retain players like Barney, Francis and Macca.

Link
http://www.tribalfootball.com/francis-laurent-friendly-visit-southend-contract-563151

Highly optimistic it may have been from Laurent, but as well as keeping those players above you mentioned, its also highly dependent on bringing in new players, as the squad we have at the moment is not good enough as the league table shows. I wont say it couldnt happen after our run last season from February onwards, but as we all know this was spearheaded by the arrivals of Dervitte and Robinson.
I will be pleased with a comfortable mid table finish this season, with no threat of relegtion hanging over us as the season draws to a close.

Good on him!!!
Rather see something like this than him saying he would be happy to stay up !

What is more optimistic, Laurent saying that we will push for promotion or Christophe thinking he will play in the Premierleague. If we get a good defensive pairing and a decent partner for Barnard then we could make a late surge (but, like last season, it may be too late :()

He certainly doesn't lack confidence (being French), he also says he'd like to play in the Premiership one day. Can't see us making any sort of promotion push, to be honest with all our financial problems this season I'll be content to just stay in the league. If you look at the top 8 teams at least I'd say they all have better squads than us. We've competed with teams like Leeds and Huddersfield this season but we're not consistent enough to mount a promotion push, particularly if we lose Barnard.

Last edited:
What is more optimistic, Laurent saying that we will push for promotion or Christophe thinking he will play in the Premierleague. If we get a good defensive pairing and a decent partner for Barnard then we could make a late surge (but, like last season, it may be too late :()
and if it's all built on loans, then it all falls down next season when we will be desperately understrength in the Chamionship?...League 1, for at least another season, but with a bigger, stronger squad that will develop into the team we want going forward. hopefully, the yoofs will be playing a bigger role in developing SUFC the way forward.

whish upon a star, click your heels togther, chant theres no place like home, and alakazoom, a rich benifactor takes over your club?......

I remember reading 4-4-2 at the start of the season and a lot of fans from other teams thought we'd be the team of the 2nd half of the season. Personally i think we're too far behind, although i'd never rule out the playoffs.

and if it's all built on loans, then it all falls down next season when we will be desperately understrength in the Chamionship?...League 1, for at least another season, but with a bigger, stronger squad that will develop into the team we want going forward. hopefully, the yoofs will be playing a bigger role in developing SUFC the way forward.

Indeed. We'd only get anywhere near the play offs with 2 or 3 top quality signings this month. If we were to get promoted we would have to buy something like 10 players in the summer, bearing in mind all the out of contract players we have who will be released, and the paucity of the current squad. Cant see InRonWeTrust funding that somehow.

Promotion, these Frenchmen are a bit crazy to say the least.
The top 6 teams are absolutely different class to us and play attractive football.
We are a bit boring and predictable at the moment and may have to sell our best assets. I would be happy with mid table.

Remaining away games -

Huddersfield
Millwall
Col Ewe
Mk Dons
Norwich
Hartlepool
Bristol Rovers
Gillingham
Leeds
Oldham
Southampton

Can't see us getting too many points from that little lot! Any talk of promotion is absolutely crazy IMO.

Remaining away games -

Huddersfield
Millwall
Col Ewe
Mk Dons
Norwich
Hartlepool
Bristol Rovers
Gillingham
Leeds
Oldham
Southampton

Can't see us getting too many points from that little lot! Any talk of promotion is absolutely crazy IMO.

It might just be me but I still subscribe to the "we play better against better teams" school of thought. And we've yet to be played off the park this season. I doubt we'll make the playoffs, however there are plenty of other teams in similar situations and with a little bit of a run things can suddenly look very different.

It might just be me but I still subscribe to the "we play better against better teams" school of thought. And we've yet to be played off the park this season. I doubt we'll make the playoffs, however there are plenty of other teams in similar situations and with a little bit of a run things can suddenly look very different.

We don't tend to do very well away from home against bigger sides, at the Hall I agree with you.

Of course alot depends on what happens in the next couple of weeks!

Back