• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Laurie Cunningham

Thanks for this, Uxbridge. It takes me way, way back...I remember seeing him play for England against Spain about a year after leaving Southend for London, so must have been about 1980. We won 2-0 (I think) and I remember he played well, his pace contributing to one of the goals. Orient, to be fair, were quite a pioneering side in the '70s with bringing black players through...Henry Hughton, John Chiedoze and Ricky Heppolette were other good players they had that I remember. I used to play in the Walthamstow & District League from '79-'82 and it struck me how few black players there were for inner-city London (as lots of games were in Hackney, Leyton and surrounding areas), so that line of Cyrille Regis' about how Lawrie had an effect on the 'second generation' of black players indicates a lasting influence. RIP Laurie...

ps anyone remember that game that WBA played against Man U one Xmas in the late '70s? They won 5-3 and both LC and CR were brilliant that day...

Last edited:
Remember seeing him play for Real Madrid at Sabadell back in the early 80's.It was p*ssing down all day,the pitch was a mudbath.He was the only Real player who didn't have to change his white shirt at HT.He clearly didn't like the conditions -must have reminded him too much of home :-)
Also saw him play a few times for the O's in his early days back in the 70's at a time when gifted young players would turn out for their local club rather than getting snapped up by the big boys a la Beckham et al.

Nice article. Saw Cunningham play several times in his career including his debut for Orient in the Texaco Cup at West Ham in the early 70's.

The fellow could play that is for sure and his early death certainly was a tragedy indeed.

Back