• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lawnmowers

DTS

The Business
Morning All,

My wife has tasked me with the mission of getting us a Lawn mower this weekend. I know nothing about them at all. Prices seem to range from dirt cheap to well expensive.

Has anyone got any hints as to what features I should be looking at? Have yoy got one you can recommend?

Tks
DtS

Hover mower with a bucket to collect the grass otherwise it means raking it all up afterwards. Depends on the size of your garden really.

Assuming you don't have a garden the size of a football pitch (and if you did we might be able to use it instead of waiting for FF), an electric would seem to be your first decider. If larger than a postage stamp, then something with a collecting box is a good idea or else you will spend as much time raking up the cut grass as you did mowing it.
You will also want one that has adjustable cutting heights (probably standard on all machines thinking about it) because there will be times when you have let it get a bit too long due to a successful football season that keeps you out of the garden..............oh no, sorry, forgot we are talking Southend here.
In the past I have had various mowers and to date the most successful has been my present one, a Bosch Rotak 320C I bought from B and Q a couple of years ago. I see on the B and Q website they do a Rotak 32R which is probably the latest version of it for £70.
My lawn is about 15 x 100 ft and it takes about 15 minutes with this mower.
God, I need to get a life!

Something you probably didn’t consider Dave, and obviously depends on the garden size, but you could do worse than getting a push mower for about £30 quid.
Benefits: No power cable to mess with, no Petrol to worry about, and the main point is you get some sort of exercise whilst mowing which helps when you get older and can’t be arsed to go running.
Worse ways, it’s a 30 quid investment so if you don’t like it nothing really lost.

Whatever you go for, this time of year it's worth shopping around. There will be bargains out there, as not many stores like carrying the stock over the winter.

Other than that, as others have said it's down to the size of your garden.

Another vote for flymo style thingy with a bucket. Mine has done a couple of summers now, and (so far, touch wood) has been as good as gold.

Another vote for flymo style thingy with a bucket. Mine has done a couple of summers now, and (so far, touch wood) has been as good as gold.

I am amazed that can handle your 65 acres....or does one of the gardeners do that on his ride on? :unsure:

Maybe I am mixing up your town house with your country estate.

Why not get a gardener? Twice a month for 9 months a year, saves time hassle and buying the equipment.

.In the past I have had various mowers and to date the most successful has been my present one, a Bosch Rotak 320C I bought from B and Q a couple of years ago. I see on the B and Q website they do a Rotak 32R which is probably the latest version of it for £70.My lawn is about 15 x 100 ft and it takes about 15 minutes with this mower.God, I need to get a life!
I have this mower and it is the best one I have had for a while. Has a roller for nice stripes on the lawn as well!!

A sit on mower has always looked fun...

I wonder if I'll ever have a garden big enough to justify one? I suspect if I did, I'd be hiring a gardener.

I've got a Bosch Rotak that was purchased while we were at the old house. Very good but since moving to the new place I really need to get something with a wider cutting blade as there is a lot more grass to deal with. I'd like to move on to a petrol mower but I've got to wait for the Bosch to break - been waiting for over 3 years so far!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Rotak-Electric-Rotary-Mower/dp/B000NLRBOY

Thanks to all.

Thought about gardener but the ones we have used are so unreliable decided against it.

Garden is a decent size but not the 65 acre plot MtS boasts.

Will let you all know how I get on. Thanks

Dave

We got a lawnmower a few weeks ago for our new house. The garden isn't particularly large, and as is typical for Sheffield it's slopey, so we went for a push-along mower, which does the job really well. it has variable cutting heights, and it's easy to store away and use. We also got a decent pair of shears for cutting the edges or any big tufts of grass that the mower didn't get.

ahm38g.jpg

I think different mowers have different pros and cons. If you have a very flat and well kept lawn then a cylinder mower is the best, but if you have a more rough garden and the grass is longer then a rotary is better. Hovers are good for small lawns but struggle with big lawns and long grass.

Dave,
What does your Mrs do when your at work, can she not find time to cut the grass herself?!
Next week she will want you to join her at the local garden centre!!

Conrecte the garden over & buy a table tennis table & a **** off BBQ.

Back