• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lawrie Dudfield

Napster

No ⭐
LAWRIE DUDFIELD: IT’S THE RIGHT DECISION AT THE RIGHT TIME
Saturday, August 29th, 2009

After leaving Corby Town on the eve of the season, which I can’t really say too much about for legal reasons, I found myself staring at the prospect of life after football. To be honest though, it wasn’t a difficult to decision to make, as soon as things went the way the did I knew straight away it was the right time to retire and look at something else.

I’ve played the last 12 seasons as a professional footballer, I have been very fortunate to do something millions of people have only been able to dream about. I’ve played in the Premier League, I’ve played abroad – I’ve experienced football at all levels and I have memories that no-one can ever take away from me but in reflection, I’ve probably known for the last couple of seasons I wasn’t enjoying football as much as I knew I should have been.

I realised my future was going to be away from playing football sooner rather than later. I could have played on for maybe another five seasons but perhaps not at a level that would really tested me and therefore where would the challenge and the enjoyment be in that? I have had offers to play professionally again and return to at least the Conference level but I have a young family and my future security was important; to carry on playing wasn’t a route I was prepared to take.

Just over a year ago now I started to look at getting into coaching, I’ve been working towards my badges over that time and that is the path I have decided to take; it’s the one that offers me the most satisfaction. With a bit more time on my hands now that I’m not training or playing it also gives me the opportunity to look at the sorts of business ventures I’ve never been able to seriously entertain.

When I’m not coaching I’m very busy at the moment setting up a new venture with a friend, it’s something we’ve been looking to do for a few years now but neither of us have been able to commit to it. It will be a challenge, I’m not expecting it to be easy but I want to get my teeth in to. I’d like to think anyone I’ve ever played with over the last decade will have appreciated by team work and dedication and know it is time for me to apply those skills to my new career. I’ll keep you posted with how I’m getting on.

Good player - came to us when we were in a dire period, put in some excellent performance and scored some crucial goals.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this guy is a legend.

Almost single handedly guided us away from the dropzone to obscurity in the 2003-04 season and one of Tilsons finest signings.

I'd seriously buy this man many beers!

I can only echo the statements that have been made on here before.

Dudders did a superb job for us, and scored some crucial goals.

Shame his career nose dived after leaving us. Would love to see him paraded around Roots Hall one more time.

Legend.
Coaching at Roots Hall in a few years?

Yup, I'd go along with the praise above. Always looked sharp and capable of popping in a goal.........bit like David Crown - but not quite as good!

Back