• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Lawrie Leslie

Very sad news,always came over,like Mr Rowley,as a gentleman
RIP Lawrie

was he not Scotlands keeper when we beat them by 7,8 or 9 goals??
Or am i wrong again?

Sorry to hear he has died RIP

but i only had a bad memory of him

In the early 70s i was the school goal keeper for Greensward School Hockley when aged 14 we went to play at our local rivals Fitzwimarc Rayleigh (i still hate them) watching was Lawrie Leslie (think his son played for the other team) anyway Lawrie was the linesman for the match and of course i was all excited as i thought if i had a good game he would tell Southend and as a supporter i would of course go on to play for them

But all i remember from the match was making a great save on the goal line and Lawrie gave it as a goal when it clearly was not, despite my protest a goal was given .

From then on i never forgave him and in my eyes he was a cheat 45 YEARS ON.

Lawrie i forgive you RIP

was he not Scotlands keeper when we beat them by 7,8 or 9 goals??
Or am i wrong again?

Only slightly - we beat them by 6 goals (it was 9-3).

He was due to play but picked up a timely injury !

Celtics Frank Haffey was in goal for Scotland .
9-3 flattered them.I was there-the streams of whisky-laden kilt-wearers (no segregation in those days) who left at ht (5-1) obviously feared even greater humiliation.

If I remember correctly he was employed as a physiotherapist by the Shrimpers after his playing career ended.

My claim to fame with Lawrie, is that I had a beer with him in The Half Moon in Rayleigh in 73, whilst chatting footie.

Back