• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Layton Ndukwu signs on season loan

Could be a great signing. Potentially the best squad we’ve had for many years. Think the intention is clear, it’s a promotion bid.

Hope I’m wrong but this squad has bottom half all over it.

Signing someone who’s never played first team football isn’t going to change that. To contend for promotion you need consistency and someone who’s never played men’s football before just isn’t going to have that as it’s just too steep a learning curve.

Loanees rarely live up to their reputations or promise. There are way more McGoalshys than Britt Assombalongas - and even he was very hit and miss, particularly at first. The chances are Ndukwe will have a similar sort of impact to Shayon Harrison or Shaquille Coulthirst.

The main beneficiaries of loans are the parent clubs: Sam Hart left a far better player than the one who arrived. We had to endure two months of sub-standard performances from him when we leaked goal after goal down our left flank before he finished strongly.

The success rate of loanees that have never played men’s football before is minuscule.

Signing someone who’s never played first team football isn’t going to change that. To contend for promotion you need consistency and someone who’s never played men’s football before just isn’t going to have that as it’s just too steep a learning curve.

Loanees rarely live up to their reputations or promise. There are way more McGoalshys than Britt Assombalongas - and even he was very hit and miss, particularly at first. The chances are Ndukwe will have a similar sort of impact to Shayon Harrison or Shaquille Coulthirst.

The main beneficiaries of loans are the parent clubs: Sam Hart left a far better player than the one who arrived. We had to endure two months of sub-standard performances from him when we leaked goal after goal down our left flank before he finished strongly.

The success rate of loanees that have never played men’s football before is minuscule.

Can’t disagree with this. You get the odd Assombalonga but mostly they are sent out to man up having been kept in the cotton wool of a premier league academy for the last 10 years.
As for our chances we have a load of decent players on paper but that doesn’t make a decent team. If we could play 5 centre halves and 5 centre forwards I’d quite fancy us.

And the winner of the most pessimistic post of the day goes to..........

Could be a good signing for us, could also create a lot of chances for our front men, I hope KB throws him in straight from the start against Blackpool as he will be buzzing to start well in front of the home crowd:Clap:

Blimey, and there's me telling some mates that we are a certainty for a top half finish.

You think this is poor squad?
Disagree strongly, couple of Powell signings apart, I think this is a very exciting time to follow the team.
As always, time will tell.

Like the majority of new players Bond has bought in but not sure about Ndukwu..... various Leicester websites suggest that he has had injury issues . He could however be a Colleymore.... fingers crossed it’s the latter...

You think this is poor squad?
Disagree strongly, couple of Powell signings apart, I think this is a very exciting time to follow the team.
As always, time will tell.

It’s a squad that has been in a relegation battle two Marchs in a row. There have been good additions by both of the last two managers (Lennon, Humphrys, the injured Hopper; Milligan and Ralph) but also key departures and injuries.

For my money the squad lacks pace, creativity and players who can beat a man. There are too few players on an upward trajectory and too many who’ve already peaked.

I’m not saying we’ll go down just that talk of a promotion push seems rather optimistic.

I don't think we are too far off having a team that can challenge for the play offs. I think the new signings will make us more solid and organised defensively, hopefully meaning we'll be less likely to concede from corners to. We have at least four strikers that given the right service can score goals. That is the area that KB knows he needs to improve on hence today's signing. Mantom, McLaughlin and Hutchison are three players that are capable of doing that as is Cox. Maybe just one elusive attacking midfielder needed

It’s a squad that has been in a relegation battle two Marchs in a row. There have been good additions by both of the last two managers (Lennon, Humphrys, the injured Hopper; Milligan and Ralph) but also key departures and injuries.

For my money the squad lacks pace, creativity and players who can beat a man. There are too few players on an upward trajectory and too many who’ve already peaked.

I’m not saying we’ll go down just that talk of a promotion push seems rather optimistic.

Whilst I fully agree Humphrey’s and Hopper look like good players and think the jury is firmly out with Lennon.
Still a lot to prove for me.
Not quite sure the quality of player you expect at this level but I still say this looks a good squad on paper at least.

Excited by this signing, welcome to the club Layton.

As others have said if we get Lee we have a really strong squad and I’m excited for this season.

Welcome Layton, I am sure you and your chums are viewing this thread (and others) with interest.
We are a pretty simple bunch, put a shift in and we are 99% happy, better still if some magic happens and we win!

I've always been of the opinion that if you're going to take a young premier lad on loan, then winger is the best position to try to get. I think strikers, centre backs and central midfielders can look a bit like men against boys sometimes, but wingers with pace and trickery can do their stuff against experienced pros.

Happy with this signing. Could be a potential Junior Stanislas type signing.

I take your point and know this is not new ground for you regarding loanees and their impact on the club. But....

Every single player we get in is different. They might fit the mould you’ve outlined, or they might just might be the next greatest thing. The joy of football is that hope. Let’s not kill it off before the lad has even played for us! ;-p

We’ve been crying out for a new winger. We’ve got one. He’s been training with some bloody good players. Can’t wait to see him.

Back