• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Layton Ndukwu signs on season loan

I am more than pleased that we have this young winger for the rest of the season. On viewing Layton Ndukwu's highlights, scoring some great goals, he could be a master stroke by our manager, time will tell. On thinking about the new players he has brought in, it seems to me that he has a plan and insight as to what is required that he has developed our his many years as a coach. Every more he has made seems calculated and planned, as one puts together a jig saw, bit by bit.
I have been watching Southend United since the days of Harry Threadgold etc as an 11 year old boy. Over the years I have seen the ups and many downs. This season I am looking forward to a great 2019/2020 for the club we love.

Whilst I fully agree Humphrey’s and Hopper look like good players and think the jury is firmly out with Lennon.
Still a lot to prove for me.
Not quite sure the quality of player you expect at this level but I still say this looks a good squad on paper at least.

It’s less about the individual quality but more about the way they fit together in a team. The team, the midfield in particular, is too samey. There’s a lack of dynamism, pace, creativity, energy.

I’d compare it to the Essex T20 team. I think you were a lot more upbeat about Essex’s white ball teams chances than I was. Signing Delport was a great move but alone it was not enough to make Essex a good T20 team. They are several more pieces away from having the right balance. For SUFC Olly Lee may be a good move but we’d need several more moves to be competitive and after the profligacy of previous regimes we just don’t have the budget.

Hope I’m wrong but this squad has bottom half all over it.

Signing someone who’s never played first team football isn’t going to change that. To contend for promotion you need consistency and someone who’s never played men’s football before just isn’t going to have that as it’s just too steep a learning curve.

Loanees rarely live up to their reputations or promise. There are way more McGoalshys than Britt Assombalongas - and even he was very hit and miss, particularly at first. The chances are Ndukwe will have a similar sort of impact to Shayon Harrison or Shaquille Coulthirst.

The main beneficiaries of loans are the parent clubs: Sam Hart left a far better player than the one who arrived. We had to endure two months of sub-standard performances from him when we leaked goal after goal down our left flank before he finished strongly.

The success rate of loanees that have never played men’s football before is minuscule.
I agree, I reckon we will finish bottom two.. and in the end you’ll have to sell your hob nail boots and your mums pet Whippet to bail us out ( as long as you are happy to) but even that won’t do, so you have to disclose the burial site of Sir Jimmy Saville and sell your personalised poster of jim that you had since you were 8

From some scouting around the internet and then watching some clips; I’m personally more excited by Ndukwu signing than any other young loan player for quite some time. Bond is right in saying he’s exactly the sort of player we needed. We’ve been crying out for some pace and trickery for ages. I really do hope we can bring in Olly Lee and then Bond can figure out a formation that works to our strengths.

I am more than pleased that we have this young winger for the rest of the season. On viewing Layton Ndukwu's highlights, scoring some great goals, he could be a master stroke by our manager, time will tell. On thinking about the new players he has brought in, it seems to me that he has a plan and insight as to what is required that he has developed our his many years as a coach. Every more he has made seems calculated and planned, as one puts together a jig saw, bit by bit.
I have been watching Southend United since the days of Harry Threadgold etc as an 11 year old boy. Over the years I have seen the ups and many downs. This season I am looking forward to a great 2019/2020 for the club we love.

Well said :Clap:

Im very optimistic about coming season , i fancy us to finish top 12,which to me would be a very successful season after last season.Good luck to the young lad en du koo ,i hope he can stay injury free and have a brilliant season for us and himself .

If we played him in a front 3 I assume at the moment that would be with Cox and Hunphrys with Cox doing his natural thing of dropping back, as Layton can also play more centrally , however that does for Goodships chances , other than a bench performance.

As an out and out winger though, I assume we could return to the Big Daddy, Master default position of 4-4-2.
This would have Cox and Humphries upfront and require 2 wide, pacey men. Mc L can do it on his day but Ndukwu and Barratt out wide would be interesting to see, although their need to get back in this standard position would be key, and it is an unknown what their defensive qualities are, as 4-4-2 is critical to what happens when you dont have the ball and run the risk of being overwhelmed by a 4.-3-3 midfield
So that would lead me to a diamond 4, in midfield as Milligan would have to be at the back of the 4 to defensively sweep up. That leaves one slot, and as we all have said we dont have an attacking ,, creative midfielder for the front of the diamond, Therefore its a gamble with Mantom, but in the short term I go for Kiernan for all round presence and challenging ability
Which leaves the current solid back four of Bwomono, O Shaunessy, Lennon and Ralph

So although Ndukwu strengthens the possibility of the use of 4-4-2, it also poses interesting problems but highlights just how much we would need Oilly

Looks exciting, but I do have reservations on whether he is just going to be muscled out of the game at this level....

Back