• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

LCD TV - Comet

Usual_Suspect

Members
All, I bought a new Samsung 40" 1080p LCD tv a few weeks ago from Comet; when I got home I put the scart from the Sky box (not HD) into the tv and it all booted up fine. My only problem is that certain channels, mainly the BBC ones don't have a very clear picture (rather grainy), I've played about with the tv, chnaged the scart etc, but it still isn't as good as I'd expect.

I've been to Comet and they said they'll send someone out but they said with an LCD a grainy picture 'often happens and there isn't a problem with the TV'. She also confirmed that the only way to get a refund is if the tv is faulty, therefore even if I'm not happy with the quality I still can't get my money back as it's not broken. Is this correct?

Finally, and back to the main point, does anyone else have any such trouble 'grainy picture' trouble with LCD tvs?

Cheers!

i have a similar problem and believe mine is due to the screen being large and me sitting fairly close - being a 40", yours is even bigger than mine - maybe that's the reason?

All, I bought a new Samsung 40" 1080p LCD tv a few weeks ago from Comet; when I got home I put the scart from the Sky box (not HD) into the tv and it all booted up fine. My only problem is that certain channels, mainly the BBC ones don't have a very clear picture (rather grainy), I've played about with the tv, chnaged the scart etc, but it still isn't as good as I'd expect.

I've been to Comet and they said they'll send someone out but they said with an LCD a grainy picture 'often happens and there isn't a problem with the TV'. She also confirmed that the only way to get a refund is if the tv is faulty, therefore even if I'm not happy with the quality I still can't get my money back as it's not broken. Is this correct?

Finally, and back to the main point, does anyone else have any such trouble 'grainy picture' trouble with LCD tvs?

Cheers!

You getter a better picture the further you sit away from it....souns odd but it is true

Using an RGB Scart cable with Video Output set to RGB? That can cause the picture to be grainy but the fact that it's only some channels is probably due to watching Standard Definition on a Full HD screen, also some channels transmit in very low quality that looks pretty bad on a normal CRT let alone the latest Plasmas/LCDs.

It's probably a good idea to have a quick look on AV Forums - LCDs, you should be able to get the optimal settings and advice from the clever bods who post there. And lastly, get hold of a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player and rejoice at the amazing picture (only to weep again when going back to standard def Sky).

Make sure you turn off Movie Plus. It's a horrible thing added to samsung tvs which aim to smooth motion. But it make the picture pixely around items that are moving.

Back