• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit of advice please from the techys on here.

Almost 2 and a half years ago I bought a Panasonic Viera LCD TV. Recently (well basically since I had an inept Sky engineer round to fit a new Sky+ box) I've noticed there's a part of the screen which produces a kind of a shadow on certain colours, particularly the green of the pitch if I'm watching football. This shadow is about 4" long by an inch thick in it's thickest part and initially looked like the screen was dirty but it's still there after cleaning with a specific LCD screen wipe!

Has anybody got any ideas how serious this is or what I can do to solve the problem? Will a new SCART lead work and cure it?

Also I noticed after one of the European games that wasn't broadcast in widescreen that there was a temporary "burn" on the screen like you used to get with Plasma TV's. This has also happened with the panels from Sky Sports News if that's been on for a considerable amount of time too. These tend to fade once the TV has been off overnight.

Any help much appreciated!
Cheers.

don't really know mate.. We have a 37' Viera (Plasma) with SkyHD and it is freaking amazing! We are careful not to leave it on SSN or on pause and after about 18months it looks perfect

Bit of advice please from the techys on here.

Almost 2 and a half years ago I bought a Panasonic Viera LCD TV. Recently (well basically since I had an inept Sky engineer round to fit a new Sky+ box) I've noticed there's a part of the screen which produces a kind of a shadow on certain colours, particularly the green of the pitch if I'm watching football. This shadow is about 4" long by an inch thick in it's thickest part and initially looked like the screen was dirty but it's still there after cleaning with a specific LCD screen wipe!

Has anybody got any ideas how serious this is or what I can do to solve the problem? Will a new SCART lead work and cure it?

Also I noticed after one of the European games that wasn't broadcast in widescreen that there was a temporary "burn" on the screen like you used to get with Plasma TV's. This has also happened with the panels from Sky Sports News if that's been on for a considerable amount of time too. These tend to fade once the TV has been off overnight.

Any help much appreciated!
Cheers.

Not an expert, but a new Scart lead won't make any difference. I've got a mate who works in the TV manufacturing industry, and LCDs tend to go after a couple of years of heavy use, anyway. I'd buy a new one!

Not an expert, but a new Scart lead won't make any difference. I've got a mate who works in the TV manufacturing industry, and LCDs tend to go after a couple of years of heavy use, anyway. I'd buy a new one!

Not what I wanted to hear!
The whole system (LCD TV, DVD-R & Home Cinema) was what I blew 4 fgures of my redundancy on! Grrrrrrr!
My extended warranty was only for 2 years as well :cry:

With LCD's and Plasma's espeically it is always advised that you take out a 5 year warranty on them because they have a habit of breaking after a short period of time.

I used to work at Comet, and would sell people LCD's and Plasma's and advise them with my true honesty they need to buy a warranty. They would always say no no it will be covered on my home insurance!

So why come back half a year later and start looking for a new one saying Oh I wish I bought the warranty!

With LCD's and Plasma's espeically it is always advised that you take out a 5 year warranty on them because they have a habit of breaking after a short period of time.

I used to work at Comet, and would sell people LCD's and Plasma's and advise them with my true honesty they need to buy a warranty. They would always say no no it will be covered on my home insurance!

So why come back half a year later and start looking for a new one saying Oh I wish I bought the warranty!

Surely they would get 12 months warranty?

Sometimes the extra warranty provided by Comet etc is more expensive than getting an independant warranty. I remember buying a microwave oven for £45 they offered me extended warranty for £50!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy in the place where I got it (the Sony/Panasonic concession in Debenhams) did offer me the extended warranty which I took out but alas it was only for 2 years. I've noticed that a lot of places now offer 5 years as standard warranty.

Typical, I was one of the 1st to buy a widescreen TV in the mid90s and that's still going strong.

Sob, sob, sniff!

Yes they come with either a 1 year or most of them these days come with a 2 year manufactuarer's warranty. But their are certain aspects they don't cover and one of the main one's is over use.

They will try and blame you for anything so they don't have to give you jack. That's why its always best to get the warranty that Comet, Currys, PC World etc.. offer.

My selling technique when I was a salesman for when people were like oh that's too expensive for a warranty.

"Well sir/madaam lets take car insurance for instance, Car insurance is expensive for two reasons, either because you are young or have a bad record, point's, claim's etc... Or the main reason is because you drive a car that is expensive to repair or an expensive car. So your buying a £1100 LCD tv, the 5 year warranty is £350 now the reason for this is because your TV is expensive to repair and no doubt like all LCD's and Plasma's they don't last forever. So if you pay £350 now and lets say the TV blows in 2/3 years you can come back with your warranty and get the new updated model of your £1100 TV for £350 you pay now!

Never always worked.

Goto Waitrose/John Lewis they offer a free Five year guarantee on all Televisions sold.

Initially their prices are not as good as Internet based only vendors but when you add the warranties you will see how cheap it turns out.

Of course if you can prove that a shop nearby is selling the same TV with a warranty cheaper, they usually more than match the price.

The John Lewis motto is '[SIZE=-1]never knowingly undersold'[/SIZE]

Back