• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

League 2 Odds 2020/21

I think we were favourites for the drop when we were champions of league one. Some have us as favourites for the drop this year... my head says we are in big trouble and this could be us going out of the football league, my heart says MM could send us straight back up against the odds. Time will tell. UTB

I would.
Barrow have lost their manager,Harrogate only got promoted via a questionable play-off system.

Harrogate would have been in the play offs anyway. They were 2nd. They could even have overtaken Barrow

Harrogate would have been in the play offs anyway. They were 2nd. They could even have overtaken Barrow
The play-offs always have been something of a lottery,no guarantee whatsoever that the best team gets promoted.
To enforce this system after 5 months without anyone playing was totally unnecessary and farcical.
Barrow,because of points won,had to be the ones to replace Bury.
Macclesfield should have been reprieved.

Anyone remember that our mostly under 23s plus a couple of older pros won the last game in league 1 vs Bristol Rovers 3-1??
Most of that team are still with us and now with a decent manager and maybe a couple of new signings I think the doom and gloom is being overplayed on here atm
I'm not saying we will win the league but I'm sure we won't be in the bottom 3 for much of the season.

UTB

Anyone remember that our mostly under 23s plus a couple of older pros won the last game in league 1 vs Bristol Rovers 3-1??
Most of that team are still with us and now with a decent manager and maybe a couple of new signings I think the doom and gloom is being overplayed on here atm
I'm not saying we will win the league but I'm sure we won't be in the bottom 3 for much of the season.

UTB
If we make some good signings then yes we may have a reasonable season. To be fair people like me predicting a season of possible struggle are not being doom and gloom merchants just being realistic. We have a paper thin squad and a lot of the senior players we have are injured. I actually think MM will get the players he has up for it but he needs to be able to bring in some players. Because of the late start date we have matches coming thick and fast and we don’t have the squad depth to cope with it. My opinion is based solely on where we stand right now. My thinking will change if we can bring in some good additions.

So if we are not expecting a planning decision before our next court visit how do we keep going? Surely we won’t be granted another adjournment? Even if we are how do we then bring in players as we will be under the current restrictions.

It really isn’t clear to me how we are going to go forwards. If we haven’t brought any new players in by the time the transfer window closes then we are going to be struggling to stay away from the bottom of the table. I hope I am proved wrong!

I think you have made a good and often neglected point. The manager is the most crucial component in the success or non-success of a football club. A lot of people are looking at young and existing players that played some part in a terrible last season and projecting forward on that basis that Southend will struggle this season. But things are more complicated than that. A new manager can give a team tremendous bounce and suddenly ordinary players become very good players. At the same time, Southend have a lot of young players that are likely to improve significantly in the near future. I think Molesley is going to make a very positive impact on the performance of the team and I will personally be surprised if we are not challenging for a promotion spot.

Finances are the most crucial component in the success or non-success of a football club.

I know the clips of the goals we scored against Charlton are scant evidence but I was greatly encouraged by what I saw there.
Another good sign might be that I, at least, have no idea of what MM's preferred line up is. This suggests there is competition for places within the squad which is a healthy sign.

I was less encouraged by the goals v Charlton. The two goals from outside the area were good finishes but not signs that we are breaking down opponent's defences. You don't want to be relying on long range goals. Goodship's goal was the type that is far more repeatable.

I think we also know most of MM's preferred line-up with the main question being who will partner Humprhys and who's available.

For me, it's quite simple really. If Sol had remained as boss, then I would have really feared for our football league future this season.

However the appointment of Molesley has given the club and most importantly the players a massive lift. The foundations are being laid and confidence levels amongst the players have grown markedly.
We will finally have a manager who the players will run through brick walls for.
That in itself is enough for me to predict that we will finish no lower than mid table.
With a bit of luck on the injury front and a couple more signings I could quite easily see us knocking on the door of the play offs.
The effect that Molesley will have on the whole club should not be undervalued.

Just got 35/1 down at Paddy Power Wickford

£10 outright
£10 each way (top three position )

At them odds,Southend United is worth a punt

Also we always do OK in league two

We are and all ways was a yo yo team

After today's shambles we've dropped to only 10/3 to be relegated on Bet365, no other club is as short a price.

Back