• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

League Cup

united we stand

Life President⭐
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, I don't recall reading anything see it and think its worthy of its own thread.

Is anyone else worried that the EPL may use getting rid of the League cup as a condition for helping League one and league two clubs?

Lots of people are saying the EPL has loads of money (1.6 billion in 2018) and therefore could easily keep every league 1/2 club going if it wanted to. All the premiership clubs care about is the EPL and the Champions League, and of course pre-season brand building. Even the chairman of UEFA hs said the UK should get rid of the league cup..

To me this is a major deal, football is all about emotions and memories, some of our 'greatest memories' are from the League Cup. Every year we dream of a cup run, and no league cup cuts that change dramatically.

The league cup has been under pressure for some time, but the EPL can not get out of it as it's written into their contract for running the league, but now the EFL is at it weakest point, and I feel that Chairman who fear for their clubs going bust will feel they have no choice but to take whatever offer the EPL makes, and you can be sure that it will be a poor offer. Let's not forget that once the league cup has gone, or has EPL U23 teams in it then it never returns, and our chances of having the opportunity to beat Spurs and Manure again will be significantly reduced

I think it would be a good thing if the league cup went, I don’t think you need two major domestic cup competitions. This would hopefully then improve the FA Cup as it would be taken more seriously than it is now. As things stand we have two competitions that are treated as an irrelevance by the the majority of PL/Championship clubs, also interest is minimal in the lower leagues. Most of the major footballing nations in Europe only have one domestic cup competition, we should follow suit.

Back