• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Of course we won't go down but some of you older folks might just remember the famous relegation story concerning Blackpool from 1978. I have just checked on Wikipedia....

At the start of April 1978 with 6 games to go, Blackpool were 8th in Div 2 (22 teams at the time) and 9 points clear of the 3rd relegation place (remember only 2 for a win back then )

By the end of April they were relegated to the 3rd tier for the first time on 37 points, with 7 teams above them finishing on 38. They stayed in the lower leagues for 29 years.

They had finished their season in 16th place, 2 points clear and better goal difference than the relegation slot. In the days of last games played on different days, on the very last day most of the teams below them had one game to play and were playing each other.

There were 27 different combinations of possible results......Only one of which would see Blackpool relegated and obviously that was the one that came in. It was in an era of some very 'dogy' last day results.

Ah memories.

Actually Blackpool were not relegated until the very last game, which was played on its own in midweek after all the other fixtures had been played - probably the previous weekend.

Orient had had reached the semi finals of the FA Cup with four midweek dates (one being a postponement at Norwich) and my memory tells me that their last league match at Cardiff was rearranged for a Tuesday night in May. As you say, Orient needed to win.

I drove down to Cardiff to watch the game (and heard on the radio that TRB2 was being released that week) and watched Peter Kitchen score the winner for the Os round about the 26th minute. After the game I drove back to Archway where I kipped on a mate's floor ready to go back into work the next day.

As you say Blackpool took 29 years to recover. Os were eventually relegated by Ken Knighton in 1982 and have never had as good a season as 1977/78 since.

Bury officially relegated to League Two with 4 games yet to play.

Who's next on your list?... MK Dons surely.

Mk Dons V Southend on Saturday??...Then they have Bradford away (13th) Scunthorpe home (5th) & Shrewsbury away (3rd) in their run in.

Northampton have an easier run in, (other than Plymouth)..., they have Walsall (19th) & Oldham (20th).

Mk Dons V Southend on Saturday??...Then they have Bradford away (13th) Scunthorpe home (5th) & Shrewsbury away (3rd) in their run in.

Northampton have an easier run in, (other than Plymouth)..., they have Walsall (19th) & Oldham (20th).

Looks tough for Northampton now even with their win yesterday. They almost certainly have to win all 3 of those games to stay up. 2 wins would only give them 49 points I suppose if the 2 wins are against Walsall & Oldham it might give them an outside chance. But by then those two might already have picked up some more points.

If we don't hammer another mighty nail into their relegation coffin I will be very, p***ed off. Help them down to non-league where they should have started from in the first place.

If we don't hammer another mighty nail into their relegation coffin I will be very, p***ed off. Help them down to non-league where they should have started from in the first place.

Absolutely right. (Sorry MKShrimper)

No real surprises so far tonight (which is a good thing)!.. Except Bradford are currently beating Portsmouth. Which doesn't really effect us anyway.

No real surprises so far tonight (which is a good thing)!.. Except Bradford are currently beating Portsmouth. Which doesn't really effect us anyway.

Bradford 2-1 Portsmouth. Bury did take the lead at Doncaster but it's now 3-3.
Rochdale 0 Oldham 0 I suppose if we still have a chance of relegation that's not a bad score.

I'm not a fan of match statistics but Shrewsbury v Charlton looks like a screamer - 68 minutes played and only 1 shot on target in total!

If Oldham win sat then beat us tues haha only joking we are safe aren’t we!!

One point closer to the relegation zone, but could have been worse.

At the other end of the table, After Shrewsbury lost to Charlton tonight, I think the 3 horse race has now officially turned into a 2 horse race between Wigan & Blackburn for automatic promotion.

Last edited:
Trevor Kettle's the centre of attention again. Allowing Wigan to kick-off for the second half, as Oxford were taking too long to complete their warm up by the touchline.

He did call it back until they were ready, but he notched another minute in his fifteen minutes of fame at the same time!

Back