• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News League One proposal - now set for June 9 vote

My gut reaction is actually on the side of the 3 Charlton players - it's not their decision to continue the season. I can see why fans would be annoyed but they could have been negotiating extensions with those players this whole time, or am I being overly harsh?
I have more time for them being honest rather than feigning an injury or something akin.
I see it differently, they are contracted to the club and have a duty to play until that contract expires, so therefore should play or not be paid. I understand their view but it is unprofessional in my mind. If it were the other way round and the club didnt want him and were hawking him around he wouldn’t be as easy about it.

If that were us in that position and say 3 of our players did that there would be outcry.

Lyle Taylor likes an end of contract move, a lot of players do as they get more out of it, so good luck to him but it isnt a good image to refuse to play in my opinion.

Anyway thankfully not affecting us as i cant see L1 restarting.

I see it differently, they are contracted to the club and have a duty to play until that contract expires, so therefore should play or not be paid. I understand their view but it is unprofessional in my mind. If it were the other way round and the club didnt want him and were hawking him around he wouldn’t be as easy about it.

If that were us in that position and say 3 of our players did that there would be outcry.

Lyle Taylor likes an end of contract move, a lot of players do as they get more out of it, so good luck to him but it isnt a good image to refuse to play in my opinion.

Anyway thankfully not affecting us as i cant see L1 restarting.
apologies, I had read it as he would already be out of contract by the time it restarts, so basically they aren't going to play the last 10 days of their contract basically? They should honour that at least.

apologies, I had read it as he would already be out of contract by the time it restarts, so basically they aren't going to play the last 10 days of their contract basically? They should honour that at least.
If it restarts the 20th then yes still in contract. Have also to remember the clubs still give them. A months notice pay in July as well

My suggestion is that we play on, I suspect that after trimming our wage bill in Jan we are in a better position financially to complete the season and fufil next season than 3 other teams, if those teams go into administration and cannot complete the season they will have to be expelled from the league as per Bury and we will stay up.

I know it's a bit harsh on the teams that get forced out of business but as there seems to be nothing but self interest going on from any of the teams we might as well make the most of our chances.

I guess they could be selected to play within that 10 days but how much effort they will put in during the matches will be debatable, I really can't see many 50-50's being challenged for at full throttle after the restart by players that will be out of contract 10 days later

I guess they could be selected to play within that 10 days but how much effort they will put in during the matches will be debatable, I really can't see many 50-50's being challenged for at full throttle after the restart by players that will be out of contract 10 days later
I agree, but they get paid till end of July so in some ways they still work for the club. So i see the clubs view and the players view.

The club doesn’t have to pay them thats for sure if they refuse to play, i cannot see any club doing that but it is an option,

You either have to finish all the leagues in the EFL or none of them. They need to stop pratting around and make a bloody decision.
Just a question, what if finishing the league is forced on teams and then means say a club or clubs go out of business ? That could be in league 1 or 2, dont think the championship clubs are too close to that.

Just a question, what if finishing the league is forced on teams and then means say a club or clubs go out of business ? That could be in league 1 or 2, dont think the championship clubs are too close to that.

The powers that be need to make sure that funding is in place to make sure that doesn't happen. Whether that's loans from the EFL or the Prem I don't know. Football is far too top heavy.

The powers that be need to make sure that funding is in place to make sure that doesn't happen. Whether that's loans from the EFL or the Prem I don't know. Football is far too top heavy.
Well so far the Orem hasn’t passé money down, if the have the EFL have kept it as they have a massive shortfall as well.

CLubs dont =need loans if they are losing money, thats more money they eventually need to pay back.

Playing games in L1 and L2 is really not financially possible for over 50% of the teams and for more than half of those teams in that group ti could be the end if they were forced too. They need the reported 200 million given by the prem to the EFL just to survive, not as a loan just given to them

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man, but will be way beyond the wit of the EFL probably, to compensate clubs for the associated costs of finishing the season. The EFL could have come out way before now and said L1 and even L2 will finish and the costs of testing, additional expenses, and no gate revenue will be born by the EFL (maybe with a loan from the Prem). They didn't.

Without this clubs would fail, Bristol City in the Championship has written to the EFL regarding their financial situation and being close to the edge, Wycombe has big problems laying off all staff and may not be able to complete the playoffs, I understand one of the clubs in the L2 playoffs has indicated they may not be able to play the playoff games as they are in trouble.

But actually its all too late now, because the biggest issue is the one we knew about all along- about 1,000 L1 and L2 players are about to be out of contract and retained lists must now be out on 25th. Even if they wanted to there are clubs who will struggle to put out a team.

The real worry is this all has to be addressed before the next season starts- and you wonder how much the EFL is distracted by the shambles related to this season to have done very much about that..

I agree, but they get paid till end of July so in some ways they still work for the club. So i see the clubs view and the players view.

The club doesn’t have to pay them thats for sure if they refuse to play, i cannot see any club doing that but it is an option,
TBF their contract ends 30 June, the fact that they get paid in July is a form of severance. So they have no obligation to work in any way for the club beyond 30th June. The idea that most would want to is another EFL fantasy I'm afraid.. get injured in July then any chance of a new contract elsewhere could evaporate along possibly for may their career.

TBF their contract ends 30 June, the fact that they get paid in July is a form of severance. So they have no obligation to work in any way for the club beyond 30th June. The idea that most would want to is another EFL fantasy I'm afraid.. get injured in July then any chance of a new contract elsewhere could evaporate along possibly for may their career.
You know I don’t disagree, i am just saying that legally i think the clubs could get out of paying, they wouldn’t do it but they may have ground is of people did refuse to play

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man, but will be way beyond the wit of the EFL probably, to compensate clubs for the associated costs of finishing the season. The EFL could have come out way before now and said L1 and even L2 will finish and the costs of testing, additional expenses, and no gate revenue will be born by the EFL (maybe with a loan from the Prem). They didn't.

Without this clubs would fail, Bristol City in the Championship has written to the EFL regarding their financial situation and being close to the edge, Wycombe has big problems laying off all staff and may not be able to complete the playoffs, I understand one of the clubs in the L2 playoffs has indicated they may not be able to play the playoff games as they are in trouble.

But actually its all too late now, because the biggest issue is the one we knew about all along- about 1,000 L1 and L2 players are about to be out of contract and retained lists must now be out on 25th. Even if they wanted to there are clubs who will struggle to put out a team.

The real worry is this all has to be addressed before the next season starts- and you wonder how much the EFL is distracted by the shambles related to this season to have done very much about that..
Most of the reasons you list show why it shouldn’t be a loan as well, clubs cannot afford another expense

If the EFL needs to compensate clubs but loans are a bad idea where is the compensation coming from? It's not like the EFL have unlimited funds to draw from, the money has to come from somewhere. The only source of money I can see is all remaining championship matches being sold to Sky or another broadcaster (the market for it will be much higher than usual since fans can't go to the games) and then distributing the money to lower league clubs (I'm sure some championship clubs will complain that League 1 and 2 clubs get money for nothing but tough).

If money can be raised through that avenue I'd support the championship finishing normally even if League 1 and 2 are ended early, I don't understand why all 3 leagues have to be treated the same just because they are run by the same body. If hypothetically coronavirus had only affected the south should the Conference North had been forced to cancel because the Conference South couldn't continue?

Loans will be the best way to kill off EFL clubs.

They were struggling to make ends meet before this. They won't be able to afford to repay loans and it will give whoever lends them the money huge leverage over them that will threaten the integrity of the game.

If the EFL needs to compensate clubs but loans are a bad idea where is the compensation coming from? It's not like the EFL have unlimited funds to draw from, the money has to come from somewhere. The only source of money I can see is all remaining championship matches being sold to Sky or another broadcaster (the market for it will be much higher than usual since fans can't go to the games) and then distributing the money to lower league clubs (I'm sure some championship clubs will complain that League 1 and 2 clubs get money for nothing but tough).

If money can be raised through that avenue I'd support the championship finishing normally even if League 1 and 2 are ended early, I don't understand why all 3 leagues have to be treated the same just because they are run by the same body. If hypothetically coronavirus had only affected the south should the Conference North had been forced to cancel because the Conference South couldn't continue?

They can't do this. The existing broadcaster will already have exclusive rights to broadcast Championship matches.

Moreover, the broadcasters are incredibly short on cash right now: their subscribers are pausing/cancelling/downgrading their subscriptions; advertisers are slashing their ad revenue. And demand for the Championship is limited - as ITV digital proved. The broadcasters aren't going to have the cash, nor the desire, to enter a bidding war.

They can't do this. The existing broadcaster will already have exclusive rights to broadcast Championship matches.

Moreover, the broadcasters are incredibly short on cash right now: their subscribers are pausing/cancelling/downgrading their subscriptions; advertisers are slashing their ad revenue. And demand for the Championship is limited - as ITV digital proved. The broadcasters aren't going to have the cash, nor the desire, to enter a bidding war.
Ok there can't be a bidding war, but surely Sky wouldn't have paid for the 3pm Saturday games (which now can be broadcast) so wouldn't they be interested in airing those? I agree viewing figures wouldn't be too high but as you said people are cancelling Sky Sports at the moment, if they have all of the championship fixtures wouldn't it convince fans of those clubs to reconsider (or even tempt people without Sky Sports to sign up for a month or two?)

Ok there can't be a bidding war, but surely Sky wouldn't have paid for the 3pm Saturday games (which now can be broadcast) so wouldn't they be interested in airing those? I agree viewing figures wouldn't be too high but as you said people are cancelling Sky Sports at the moment, if they have all of the championship fixtures wouldn't it convince fans of those clubs to reconsider (or even tempt people without Sky Sports to sign up for a month or two?)

Any extra payment would be an unbudgeted amount at a time when both their subscribers and advertising numbers are haemorrhaging. Would they even have the cash to make an offer?

I'm not sure Sky would be that interested in showing those games anyway, how many people are interested in Huddersfield v Charlton? Remember these games will be up against Premier$hite games and the costs involved in televising them will be even higher than normal.

Sky et al won't be interested in our league, football on TV will be at absolute saturation point, no Prem games are going up against each other, there are 8 games on the weekend alone and 6pm kick offs during the week as well as the 8pm kick offs. I actually don't think the Championship are in such a good spot now as literally the only times they will be on they will be up against a game from a higher division.

I'm sure I've read that an unfinished null-and-void season would 'damage the integrity of the competition'. Anyone able to back me up on this?
If so, I fail to see that point.
Surely, on June 8 there would be clause inserted that the EFL can't be sued by clubs if null-and-voiding the season occurs during a pandemic?
After all, how exceptional do you want the circumstances?
How can the EFL's 'integrity' be damaged if an event like this turns the world upside down?
Any artificial means of ending the season, and for me, that would include playing two games a week in front of cardboard cutouts, is equally dubious.

Back