• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News League One proposal - now set for June 9 vote

I still think null and voiding with no promotion and no relegation is the least worst option because no-one has actually "lost" anything. It's all conjecture and speculation as to who would finish where.
I think this is the only outcome that has been out and out rejected

The FA will get sued by non leagues clubs that been dented promotion to higher league, if they promote & relegate clubs between 4 division. They will get done up by Stevenage & Tranmere etc plus some of Championship side in bottom half will have players out of contract will refuse to play.

The FA will get sued by non leagues clubs that been dented promotion to higher league, if they promote & relegate clubs between 4 division. They will get done up by Stevenage & Tranmere etc plus some of Championship side in bottom half will have players out of contract will refuse to play.
Championship clubs all of them have agreed to play as it stands. Few moaning it starts a week too son but happy to play

There may end up being no choice.
There are 6 choices to vote on, null and void not one of them.

Personally i cant see a diversion today i think the L1 voter will roll on longer, especially if they do not get a 51% vote for one of the options that all 71 have to vote on this morning.

Personally i cant see a diversion today i think the L1 voter will roll on longer, especially if they do not get a 51% vote for one of the options that all 71 have to vote on this morning.
I hate to use the word cleverly when talking about the EFL (never does a word sit so out of place) but the way/order they have "structured" the voting probably ensures a result.

Vote first on the Tranmere proposal. It will get good support but not the 51% required. At that point either the clubs vote for the EFL proposal or there is no option to end the season (default position) and so all divisions in theory play on. When presented with this the EFL's flawed solution will get the 51%.

The interesting piece is the amendments. Clubs will feel they can pass these because they will simply amend the EFL proposal and there will still be the option to end the season.

However, I believe (I might be wrong) that the Barnsley proposal is set to be voted on after the Tranmere proposal but before the EFL proposal. I suspect because if the Barnsley (no relegations) is passed then the EFL will pull their proposal and say they need to reconsider (due to implications) and we go into another can kicking period..

Anyway not long to wait.

At least 1 club has to be promoted from non-League due to the odd number.

Suspect they'll do the play-offs and relegations as is.

At least 1 club has to be promoted from non-League due to the odd number.

Suspect they'll do the play-offs and relegations as is.
You would think one would be, but as it stands that isnt the case. Bloody stupid situation, they called non league off far too early

Maybe i say that with hindsight I don’t know

That's exactly why they may have no option. Time rumbles on and if they can't come to a decision, it might be the only choice left by default.

Clubs have voted for either the season to be resumed or for PPG to be implimented (with standard promotion, playoffs and relegation). Surely League One voting to scrap the season is a formality at this point, aside from Tranmere, Peterborough and Sunderland I can't see anyone wanting to continue the season now that we know the alternative is PPG.

That's exactly why they may have no option. Time rumbles on and if they can't come to a decision, it might be the only choice left by default.
NUll and void isn't (as I understand things) any sort of option even by default if one of the options did’nt get 51%, i believe one option did get that

The result was inevitable. Once Tranmere's latest proposal failed to get support it was either the EFL option or no option- the latter would have meant the later vote this PM being between the default position of playing on and well...nothing. So play on. Clubs were never going to go there.

Null and void was only an option in the courts where the extraordinary concept of the EFL implementing the existing rules would come into play.

The only risk the EFL have now is court action but as long as the Championship plays out that really means Tranmere or Stevenage/Macclesfield.

Its relegated clubs that have the strongest case. If Championship fails to complete then the EFL would be in real trouble as you would have three clubs with the ability to pursue. But that's unlikely now.

Anyone else think that, Coventry apart, that is a pretty poor 'top' six?

Anyone else think that, Coventry apart, that is a pretty poor 'top' six?
In a way- but actually what it says is that its not about the biggest budget- if you recruit well, build a team greater than the sum of its parts, with the right attitude you can compete against the bigger clubs.

For Sunderland not to make the playoffs for example on their budget and squad size is an extraordinary effort. But as we have found to our cost paying big money to "big" players doesn't necessarily build the best team with the best attitude.

The good news for us if we are in L2, is we can build a team where the majority of players are "home grown" who love the club and where the sum is indeed greater than the individual parts. If we can add the right players around that then that's how we can be competitive in L1 and L2 long term with a budget that is sustainable. Our best investment even more than ever could, and will continue to be, the investment in the academy.

Last edited:
In a way- but actually what it says is that its not about the biggest budget- if you recruit well, build a team greater than the sum of its parts, with the right attitude you can compete against the bigger clubs.

For Sunderland not to make the playoffs for example on their budget and squad size is an extraordinary effort. But as we have found to our cost paying big money to "big" players doesn't necessarily build the best team with the best attitude.

The good news for us if we are in L2, is we can build a team where the majority of players our "home grown" who love the club and where the sum is indeed greater than the individual parts. If we can add the right players around that then that's how we can be competitive in l1 and L2 long term with a budget that is sustainable. Our best investment even more than ever could, and will continue to be, the investment in the academy.
For us right now it gives clarity, we can plan for league 2, decide who is staying or going and make our plans

For us right now it gives clarity, we can plan for league 2, decide who is staying or going and make our plans
Indeed- what would also help is confirmation of when L2 starts next season, when the transfer window opens and indeed runs to, and any restrictions on clubs around registrations/signings (due to wage deferrals, furlough or anything else).

I think the revised date the released lists is 25th June?

If there was an intention to start the new season in early mid Aug then you would want to be looking at training from early July- clubs need to know

The good news for us if we are in L2, is we can build a team where the majority of players are "home grown" who love the club and where the sum is indeed greater than the individual parts. If we can add the right players around that then that's how we can be competitive in L1 and L2 long term with a budget that is sustainable. Our best investment even more than ever could, and will continue to be, the investment in the academy.
Sunderland only have themselves to blame, they lost 2-0 to Bristol Rovers the match before lockdown, if they'd won that they'd be in the playoffs. We'd beaten Bristol Rovers 3-1 a few days previously.

Back