• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News League One proposal - now set for June 9 vote

The only way that keeps everybody happy is that the games vital to promotion and relegation are played and the Premiership covers the cost as they have the money.

So if the championship is recommencing and league two has just finished how on earth can there be consistency?
The championship will be able to finance itself through TV deals, there's enough of a market for someone to buy the rights to air all the matches. As a result, if it's safe to do so, the season can finish without financially crippling the clubs, the only club against is Hull and that's because they're trying to worm out of relegation. No one will buy the rights to League One so it's far more dangerous from a financial perspective for us to continue.

I don't see why there needs to be consistency between the three leagues aside from agreeing promotion and relegation spots, they are separate competitions even if they are run by the same body.

We all do, all championship teams said from day 1 they wanted to play on and finish the season. Only dissenting voice now is Hull as I understand things
QPR saying they did not find out until an hour before the announcement that it would be the 20th and are opposed to the league restarting on the 20th

From what i can tell they want longer to get their players fit

QPR saying they did not find out until an hour before the announcement that it would be the 20th and are opposed to the league restarting on the 20th
The EFL's utter incompetence and lack of communication is consistent across all divisions. Incredibly they know remarkably very little about football. So in their world where full training has not even started (and wont till later this week) they believe players will be match fit in two and a half weeks.. They won't and what it will mean is injuries, perhaps serious injuries- probably something the EFL aren't remotely interested in.

Already Charlton's main striker Lyle Taylor has said he will not be playing because he is running down his contract and can't afford getting injured and that preventing a move.

There is much disarray to come on all fronts- most of it entirely self inflicted.

Actually 3 players at Charlton- Lyle and Solly, also a loanee who doesn't want to come back.
Reminds us that whilst focussed on all the other areas/acts of total EFL incompetence the big issue around contracts ending June 30 has gone no-where..

If he doesn’t play in June (if the league starts) he is in breach of contract and wont be paid. BUt overall both you and I said on here months ago the contract issue is a big one and will raise its head

If he doesn’t play in June (if the league starts) he is in breach of contract and wont be paid. BUt overall both you and I said on here months ago the contract issue is a big one and will raise its head
He might not get paid in June but apparently he wont be risking his big move (and big next contract) just to get paid for June 20 to June 30..

He might not get paid in June but apparently he wont be risking his big move (and big next contract) just to get paid for June 20 to June 30..
Agree no pay for 10 days against maybe not having a big move it makes sense for the lad. Harsh on Charlton but it was going to happen

It is unbelievable that all three EFL divisions haven't been applied with the exact same solution, whatever that may be. How can you let 3 divisions, which interchange clubs directly through relegation and promotion, do their own thing. It's bad enough that the Prem does its own thing, but at least that is under different (mis)management.

Have to agree this is the way I see it.
However would only be fair if everyone has played the same amount of games and not sure that is the case.
Know what you’re saying but all solutions at this stage will be imperfect & I think this is a commonsense approach which is fair, more or less, & easy to apply.

The article is a bit vague but Tranmere have outlined their plans more clearly on the webiste:

Essentially they've calculated the margin or error (essentially the difference) between what a PPG method would have produced for each club at the end of the season and what clubs actually finished on. They've calculated based on this that the vast majority of clubs had a true end total between -5.4% and 6.3% of what PPG produced.

Tranmere are proposing that teams in the promtion places that are clear of the play offs even with the typical margin of error applied will go up automatically, then anyone else that feasibly could have made the play offs with a reasonable margin of error will be in the playoffs (even if this means there are more than 4 teams competing).

Tranmere have also highlighted that Wimbledon were 12 points adrift at this stage of the season last year so they've suggested two ways of sorting out relegation. Proposal 1 says there is no relegation (as it's far easier to be an outlier at the bottom of the table if you go on a run) and with the National League's cooperation they could promote more sides to League 2 to make up for the fact no one would be relegated from League 1, the assumption is that the championship would be played in full so relegation would still happen in the championship. They've conceded this may not fly well with the EFL so there is a second version of the proposal which would see us and Bolton relegated since we fall outside the margin of error.

The article is a bit vague but Tranmere have outlined their plans more clearly on the webiste:

Essentially they've calculated the margin or error (essentially the difference) between what a PPG method would have produced for each club at the end of the season and what clubs actually finished on. They've calculated based on this that the vast majority of clubs had a true end total between -5.4% and 6.3% of what PPG produced.

Tranmere are proposing that teams in the promtion places that are clear of the play offs even with the typical margin of error applied will go up automatically, then anyone else that feasibly could have made the play offs with a reasonable margin of error will be in the playoffs (even if this means there are more than 4 teams competing).

Tranmere have also highlighted that Wimbledon were 12 points adrift at this stage of the season last year so they've suggested two ways of sorting out relegation. Proposal 1 says there is no relegation (as it's far easier to be an outlier at the bottom of the table if you go on a run) and with the National League's cooperation they could promote more sides to League 2 to make up for the fact no one would be relegated from League 1, the assumption is that the championship would be played in full so relegation would still happen in the championship. They've conceded this may not fly well with the EFL so there is a second version of the proposal which would see us and Bolton relegated since we fall outside the margin of error.
This is correct the Palios proposal has two options on relegation as above- I think more lazy reporting left the no relegation at all piece out (NOTE: this is not CP's fault- this is picking up a news feed from somewhere else).

Indeed Palios is consistent in saying that PPG and relegations should not happen- the other option only saves Tranmere and also risks the accusation of being particularly self serving (but tbf its not as I understand it their preferred option as I say)

It is unbelievable that all three EFL divisions haven't been applied with the exact same solution, whatever that may be. How can you let 3 divisions, which interchange clubs directly through relegation and promotion, do their own thing. It's bad enough that the Prem does its own thing, but at least that is under different (mis)management.

Yes, this, absolutely. I can understand the Prem being different, but the other three main leagues should be the same.

It's fairer than the other PPG options mentioned even if it does relegate us. However I still believe its entirely wrong to relegate anyone when there is still a chance of escape. Promotions are a bit different as you're not hurting anyone as long as no one is being unfairly relegated from above to make way. But to relegate anyone without all the games being played is just plain wrong.

It's fairer than the other PPG options mentioned even if it does relegate us. However I still believe its entirely wrong to relegate anyone when there is still a chance of escape. Promotions are a bit different as you're not hurting anyone as long as no one is being unfairly relegated from above to make way. But to relegate anyone without all the games being played is just plain wrong.
Agreed!
You're penalising a team without giving it the chance to save itself. After all, we did just that last season.
That said, Stevenage would have a real beef if they were relegated in League Two. And if they survive, then we should.

I don't know if this has been floated before but my proposal is to reward teams on how many times they have played in LDV vans finals and lost. If there is a tie, the winner will be judged on the criteria of which team has been managed most often by a captain of an England World Cup winning team. This way of solving things is objective, is not prejudiced by things like actual form over the season and takes into account historical achievements. There is a slight chance it might see Southend go up as champions, I don't know I haven't worked out the maths, but we had the handicap of starting this season with Kevin Bond as manager. So what goes around comes around I say.

Last edited:
My gut reaction is actually on the side of the 3 Charlton players - it's not their decision to continue the season. I can see why fans would be annoyed but they could have been negotiating extensions with those players this whole time, or am I being overly harsh?
I have more time for them being honest rather than feigning an injury or something akin.

Back