• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

League One Questionaire - Southend United

Makin

Hi there I'm Sean Makin, I'm a writer for Terrier-Bytes.com which is an Huddersfield Town fansite, wondering if you can take your time to answer a few questions.

The chosen answers will be put on the website which will be credited for with a link to this website.

Many Thanks and all the best.

How did you fare last season? Best moment, worst moment etc.

How do you think you'll do this season? Hopes, final position?

What's your squad like, new signings, etc?

Which player would you happily get rid of?

Which youngster will make the biggest impression in your team this season?

What's your manager like and will he still be there at the end of the season?

Are you happy with your Chairman/Backroom staff?

Which team do you want to beat the most and why?

Predict your champions and runner up, the four Play-Off teams and the four to go down
Champions:
Runner Up:
Playoffs:
Relegated:

Here goes:

How did you fare last season? A curate's egg of a season... a dire run leading up to Christmas saw us enter the new year in 17th. However, shoring up our defence saw us surge up to 7th during the first three months of 2009, only to miss out on the playoffs in the final furlong. We finished 8th.

Best moment? Two stand out:

1. Peter Clarke grabbing an 87th minute equaliser at Stamford Bridge to send 6,500 Shrimpers into delirium.

2. Franck Moussa grabbing the winner at Colchester United's Weston / Meccano Homes stadium.

Worst moment? Allegations of racial abuse against Franck at Colchester were pretty bad. Losing at home again to our bogey side, Franchise MK Mongs, was also a bit of a sickener.

How do you think you'll do this season? We'll do OK. I don't think we're the best side in the division, but we're not the worst either; and with Tilly at the helm, anything is possible.

Hopes, final position? I hope we'll make the play-offs, but I've predicted we'll finish 13th.

What's your squad like, new signings, etc? New signings? Hmm, that's a bit of a sore point around here. We've made plenty of loan signings this summer - Heath and White (for a month) from Colchester (which sticks in the craw a little), Sawyer from Chelsea for 6 months and Mvoto from Sunderland also for 6 months. Very happy about the latter two. The squad looks very solid in midfield and has decent competition up front - albeit one or two of them being a bit injuy-prone (notably Barnard & Freedman) - but we still look very thin at the back. We've been crying out for a replacement for Spencer Prior ever since he retired a few years ago - experienced and peerless in the air. We're still looking.

Which player would you happily get rid of? None of them, really. They're a decent bunch of lads, all of whom seem committed to the club and who want to succeed for Tilly & Brush. The person I'd like to get rid of is the tax man, and the bill that hangs over our heads...

Which youngster will make the biggest impression in your team this season? Franck Moussa. Last year was his break-through season into the first team; this year I hope he consolidates his place and shows us the embarrassment of passing riches at his disposal. He could be a great player for us.

What's your manager like and will he still be there at the end of the season? Tilly is a legend, and I bloody well hope he's here at the end of the season, or else we're in trouble.

Are you happy with your Chairman/Backroom staff? On the whole, yes. Ron Martin has had to keep an enormous number of balls in the air in terms of taking on, together with a voracious property developer, a club saddled with debt; buying out that property developer by taking on more debt; finding financing for a new stadium; and finding a purchaser for Roots Hall. Occasionally, he drops a ball - such as with the recent debt owed to the tax-man - and one gets the feeling that he doesn't always speak entirely candidly about his plans and how he proposes to finance them in the long term. However, he remains a successful businessman; we still appear to be solvent; we have the best management duo whom we've held onto, fending off suitors; and if he really does build the stadium for which we've all seen the designs, he should be given the freedom of the town. Let's wait & see.

Which team do you want to beat the most and why? Colchester United, to remind them that there's only one team in Essex.

Predict your champions and runner up, the four Play-Off teams and the four to go down

Champions: Norwich City
Runner Up: Leeds United
Playoffs: MK Dons, Wycombe Wanderers, Huddersfield Town, Millwall
Relegated: Exeter City, Gillingham, Yeovil Town, Stockport County

How did you fare last season? 8th in the league was better than most predicted. Highlight of last season has to be snatching a last gasp equaliser at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup – some bloke called Peter Clarke scored it, he’s not with us anymore…

How do you think you'll do this season? I think at this stage of the season we’re still hoping for the play-offs, worried that with a thread-bare permanent squad we might flirt with relegation – at the end of the day most fans would settle for the same as last season (8th)

What's your squad like, new signings, etc? Options up front, Strong in midfield, Threadbare at the back, thin overall bolstered by inexperienced youngsters and a few loanees, some of known quality (Sawyer, Chelsea) and others we’ll wait and see (Heath & White, Colchester; Mvoto, Sunderland)

Which player would you happily get rid of? Depends how much you’re offering! None of them really – James Walker is probably the crowd’s “boo-boy”, but as I was his kit sponsor last season, I can’t say him!

Which youngster will make the biggest impression in your team this season? Franck Moussa has the biggest potential. A young Belgian midfielder with bags of quality – really should go all the way.

What's your manager like and will he still be there at the end of the season? Steve Tilson is a local lad, played for the club for 10 years and managed the youth team before stepping up to the top job in November 2003, which makes him no.5 on the list of longest serving managers in England (after Ferguson, Wenger, Coleman and Moyes). Can’t really see him leaving.

Are you happy with your Chairman/Backroom staff? As happy as you can be with a property developer as chairman. Will be even happier if he delivers on the promised new ground.

Which team do you want to beat the most and why? Other than Leeds and MK Dons (who everyone wants to beat!) it has to be Colchester, local(ish) rivals, with pretensions to be the no.1 club in Essex, in-bred fans and a dreadful new non-league stadium.

Predict your champions and runner up, the four Play-Off teams and the four to go down:

Champions: Leeds
Runner Up: Norwich
Playoffs: Charlton, Southampton, MK Dons, Southend
Relegated: Stockport, Carlisle, Exeter, Gillingham

Last edited:
cheers lads, the answers that are chosen to be put in the article will be credited. Thank you for taking the time out to take this questionaire.

All the best for the season and many thanks

Sean

How did you fare last season? Best moment, worst moment etc. We done OK, at Christmas we were looking downa barrel of a gun, not knowing where our next win was going to come from. A few decent loan signings and then we are chasing the playoffs.

If the loanees come good, then a top hald pushing playoffs is possible, if not then a season looking over our shoulders
What's your squad like, new signings, etc? A new back four filled out with loaness. Midfield one of the best in the division and enough talent upfront to scare most defences

Which player would you happily get rid of? None at the moment

Which youngster will make the biggest impression in your team this season? Antony Grant midfielder he will come good at the end of the season

What's your manager like and will he still be there at the end of the season? I can't see him walking away, he is Southend through and through, (famous last words)

Are you happy with your Chairman/Backroom staff? I have to say yes as I work there on match days

Which team do you want to beat the most and why? It has to be Cochester due to the Essex rivalry, also Carlisle all that way for a wasted trip

Champions: Norwich
Runner Up: Huddersfield
Playoffs: Leeds, Milton keynes, Charlton, Tranmere
Relegated: Exeter, Gillingham, Yeovil

How did you fare last season? Best moment, worst moment etc. Best moment, two of them, Clarkey equalising at Stamford Bridge in the dying minutes of the FA Cup 3rd round to earn us the replay, in which for a few brief moments, Adam Barrett had us in front against the might of Chelsea. Welcome to the FA Cup Scolari!
Also, very naughty of them but the moment Clarkey, Barrett, Macca and Granty taunted the Col U supporters after we'd beaten them at Cuckoo Farm was a major highlight!
Worst moment? We had a few, losing two players of the season in one season - Bailey at the beginning and Clarke at the end. Didn't much like being behind to Colchester at home neither but thankfully we pulled it back to a draw. Also losing at home to Brighton to an audacious and quite out of order performance from their captain.

We Southend fans are notoriously pessimistic, but as usual I have high hopes - I think we'll be there or thereabouts again this season. I reckon 5th.

Basically solid, we've brought in some potentially good loanees at the back which has historically been our area of weakness. We have what could be the best strike force in the league in Dougie Freedman and Lee Barnard and have some very strong midfielders

Oooooh, this is harsh! I've been disappointed in both Scannell and Walker showing flashes of brilliance but not being able to maintain it.

Depends who goes out on loan. Of our own, I reckon Craig Calver has huge potential, but I also think young Lee Sawyer, who is on loan from Chelsea is going to be pretty impressive.

I hope so! He's one of the top longest serving managers in the league, and part of the furniture and fittings at Roots Hall! I defy any other manager to perform the sort of miracles he does on the budgetary limitations we have!

Yes, absolutely. I have the utmost faith in them and their plans for our future.

Colchester - goes without saying really, closely followed by Orient who seem to be our bogey team, and Brighton

Runner Up: Leeds
Playoffs: Huddersfield, Southend, Tranmere, MK Dons
Relegated: Hartlepool, Exeter, Carlisle and Stockport

Last edited:
How did you fare last season? Best moment(s)
The equaliser at Chelsea will be a moment I will never forget, you never think you're going to see your "small league one minnows" pull off a result like that.

The win at Col U, when you watch the highlights of the game you dont see the pure determination of Moussa to run from inside his own half, busting a gut to get on the end of the cross and the scenes with our players at the end showed what a great team spirit we have.

How do you think you'll do this season? Much the same as last season, Not a great deal has changed in terms of the players at the club so the nucleus of the squad last season is still there. I'd love to see us make the play offs but with the teams that came down and with Leeds and big spending Huddersfield will all be up there, I'd settle for an 8th place finish.

What's your squad like Would have liked a couple of permanent signings or at least the loans to be for a season as I fear when the loans go back we'll be in the same situation as we were last season until we get another load of loanees in.

Which player would you happily get rid of? Kevin Betsy, as a winger he should be taking on his man and getting crosses into the box, I appreciate at 31 he's no spring chicken but for me he dosent do enough, Sorry Kev.

Which youngster will make the biggest impression in your team this season? There's a few who I'd like to see do well,
Franck Moussa - Showed at the tale end of last season that he really does have something about him and the loan spell at Wycombe seems to have worked wonders for him so I expect him to carry on impressing this campaign.
Craig Calver - Scored for fun in the U18's last season, I think he bettered a goal a game. Only seen him twice in pre season but he's very strong on the ball and knows were the goal is, with Barnard and Freedman's injury record and now being able to name 7 subs I think Calver will get his chance in the first team this season.
James Walker - Make or break season for him, When we signed him he looked a very decent player at this level, he had a good partnership going with Barnard as we made the play offs that year and was likened in his style of play to Freddy Eastwood. He is very much a confidence player with very little confidence at the moment, Since he hit the bar at Doncaster and the penalty miss last season he's looked a very depleted player, he may well be used on the wing this season but we all need to get behind him and encourage him.

What's your manager like and will he still be there at the end of the season? Unless uncle Ron loses patience and wields the axe I think Tilly will be here for a very long time to come still.

Are you happy with your Chairman/Backroom staff? Yes - big plans for the future we just have to be patient.

Which team do you want to beat the most and why? Colchester and Orient for obvious reasons along with Charlton IF Mr Bailey is still there when we play them would love to hear chants of "Bailey, What's the score"

Runner Up: Huddersfield
Playoffs: Southampton, Charlton, MK Dons, Leeds
Relegated: Yeovil, Tranmere, Carlisle, Exeter

Hi there I'm Sean Makin, I'm a writer for Terrier-Bytes.com which is an Huddersfield Town fansite, wondering if you can take your time to answer a few questions.

The chosen answers will be put on the website which will be credited for with a link to this website.

It was an up and down season and when we did finally get a bit of consistancy it was that little bit too late, had we found it 2-3 weeks earlier I'm confident we'd have made the play-offs. The team we finished the season with was a very good one!
The two players that came in on loan and made the difference last season (Dervite and Robinson) have now moved on. That coupled with Peter Clarke going to Huddersfield means our squad is significantly weaker than the one that went on that impressive run at the end of last season. That said I still think we have a solid enough, if not spectacular, squad to finish mid table.
Just loanee's for us this summer. Most fans are very happy with the 6 month signing of Lee Sawyer from Chelsea. He spent 3 months here last season and was very impressive. Other loanee's have been brought in short term to cover our defence, the weakest area of a very small squad.
Due to the threadbare nature of our squad, none! We just couldn't do it!
Sawyer I think, we know what he's capable of and in my opinion he is the most creative player in the squad.
No one can question how good Tilson has been for this club and I think he will be our manager for yrs to come. He wont be sacked and everytime a job vacancy comes up he seems to be overlooked, which suits us just fine.
Over the course of his reign, yes. I'd like him to be a bit more forward in quashing rumours of financial troubles, I don't think any true fan would be disappointed in him saying "we aren't spending anything this season because all the money is going into the new stadium", but his silence and the fact we haven't spent anything despite losing players and our top earner, if rumours are to be believed, doesn't fill me with confidence.
Col U because they are horrible dirty inbreds with extra fingers and toes
Champions:Leeds
Runner Up:Norwich
Playoffs:Huddersfield
Relegated: Orient, Col U and a couple of northern clubs, hopefully Carlisle[/quote]

See above ..........................

Champions:
Runner Up:
Playoffs:
Relegated:

For Me.......

Best moment was when we beat Col U in the airfix. Worst moment was when Alex Revell broke his leg.

I think this season we will finish mid table, I think we will get off to a slow start, pick up a little bit by september, stay like that until the new year, and then a mixture of up and down moments until the end of the season resulting in a mid table finish, I will say 10th

Despite being small, the squad is generally very good. We definately need a few more signings pronto! I do think we may pick up one or two more before the window closes. If we get a lot of injuries(like last season!) then the squad and the performances will suffer. We need everyone who plays to perform well every time!

Although we are unlikely to get rid of anyone due to the squad size I would gladly say goodbye to James Walker, Unfortunately I see nothing in him and is just a waste of a jersey. I hope he can prove me wrong but I'm unsure at the moment!

I feel that we do have good young players especially Herd and O'Keefe, But since this is suppost to be the "Year of the Moose" then Franck Moussa gets it for me. I think he will be terrific and even more exciting to watch.

Tilly is a great boss and yes he will be here at the end of the season.

Chairman Ron seems ok, I am a little unsure about what direction he is trying to take at the moment but it will hopefully come clear soon, we have a good backroom staff too.

Colchester United because we want to be considered the best in Essex, beating Orient would be nice as well.

Champions: Southampton
Runner Up: Leeds United
Play Offs: MK Dons(Promoted), Huddersfield, Norwich, Charlton
Relegated: Exeter, Stockport, Oldham, Leyton Orient

Back