• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cup glory or promotion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reg Martin

No Relation
It's been pointed out on another thread that if we beat Dagenham we could have to re-schedule hartlepool (a), brighton (h) & leeds (h).

This sort of potential fixture pile-up raises the old chestnut about which is more important - league or cup? It's worth noting that 4 of the other top 6 in our division are already out of the cup.
I had hoped for an away draw to a big premiership club in Round 3 - good day out, big payday and an honourable defeat and then concentrate on the league.
There is the possibility of us getting a series of low-key ties, eg home to winners of Swindon-Barnet in Round 4, etc, and end up knocked out away to a middle ranking championship team in round 6 but slip away to mid-table in the leaue.

What sort of level of cup glory would you want as an acceptable trade off for potential loss of league form?

I'm in America in January until the 30th so selfishly I want us to go through against Daggers and then get someone like Oldham away in the 4th round so I don't miss the Brighton home league match :)

Would the Leeds game get moved if we go through then? Why would that happen?

I'm in America in January until the 30th so selfishly I want us to go through against Daggers and then get someone like Oldham away in the 4th round so I don't miss the Brighton home league match :)

Leeds game could be moved if our tie was switched to Sunday - five of the 32 round 3 ties are Sunday kick offs - though I don't know if this is all down to TV. If same number are moved in round 4 then there would be almost 1 in 3 chance of our tie being switched

Part time fan Beefy ....;)

Leeds game could be moved if our tie was switched to Sunday - five of the 32 round 3 ties are Sunday kick offs - though I don't know if this is all down to TV. If same number are moved in round 4 then there would be almost 1 in 3 chance of our tie being switched

Presumably we'd have to agree to any change though which we'd be unlikely to do if it meant losing the six figure sum that the Leeds game will bring on from Sky.

Part time fan Beefy ....;)

I know, it's shocking isn't it? Blame other so-called fans who arrange mid-season transatlantic weddings which they expect you to turn up to.

Was due to be flying back on the morning of the Leeds game so we'd have plenty of time to get to Roots Hall, then they brought it forward 24 hours so we'll have to find a pub in New York that is showing it.

Winning the league / promotion is far more important than a bit of metal, our future is far more important than a day in wales

assuming we get drawn away to Swansea or Cardiff then ?? :thump:
yes and if we do get drawn against a welsh side, then i shall make the long trip down the wales to watch the match despite the weather, as i am doing so this saturday for the swnasea match

and then we can win promotion in wales, happy days :p

Personally think a good cup run can boost confidence and help the league form.

If it was a straight choice though Id drop the cup in an instant...

The league is not the only thing that can bring glory to a club. If I had to choose then I think I would rather have a good strong season in the league than a good cup run. However, wins breed confidence and still being in the cup can only be a good things. The further we get the more confidence the team will be carrying into each game.

Well considering how well we have done since a minor cup final appearance I would say that a blistering cup run (especially with a big moneyspinning game in it) could well be what we need to start the large number of fans trotting through the gates at FF .
However 6th round via games at the likes of Swindon, QPR , Preston etc could cause more problems than they are worth

The league is not the only thing that can bring glory to a club. If I had to choose then I think I would rather have a good strong season in the league than a good cup run. However, wins breed confidence and still being in the cup can only be a good things. The further we get the more confidence the team will be carrying into each game.

Very good point well put

An FA Cup Final would be unreal, personally I'd take it.

More realistically would be for us to make it the Play Off Final.

I would be happy with the play off finals at Wemberley , the Cup final at Cardiff and a place in Europe next season .

Anything less = disappointment

I would be happy with the play off finals at Wemberley , the Cup final at Cardiff and a place in Europe next season .

You seem like such an under achiever lol

Cup final at cardiff ?

Running the risk of being a div but thats been mentioned twice in this thread, is that true ?!

Back