• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
No Southend representatives.

Whilst the voting for this is always highly flawed, I'm still astonished to find that there are at least two midfielders better than Ryan Leonard in this division. I wonder where they were hiding when they played us?

Surprised Bentley didn't make it either after the amount of time Brown has spent talking him up.

Have to say that Bentley's absence is a bigger surprise than Leonard. The back 4 has been ever changing this season (apart from Coker and Bentley) and therefore the most clean sheets in the league must come down to individual performances.

Leonard has been great but we're not top of the league... Bentley's snub is mystifying.

Reeks of 'Old Pals Act' to me. Our two youngest players who have both been outstanding in game after game this season are not recognised whereas some very 'ordinary' players who have been around a long time, like the relegation-haunted Bristol Rovers mid-fielder, who would'nt get in our Development team, gets selected.

Last edited:
Yeah o'Toole and the RB must be amazing considering how good BR have done this year, and for a RB to get it in a side that leaks goals compared to our best defense in the league? Shocking imo.

Didnt we try to sign O'Toole beginning of the season?

O'Toole is a decent player but his bizarre interview a while ago shows how he's not exactly the kind of person up want to foster a good team spirit.

The keeper with the most clean sheets in the league doesn't get in the team of the season!? :hilarious:

The keeper with the most clean sheets in the league doesn't get in the team of the season!? :hilarious:

and IMO John White is the most consistent RB in the league! I dont remember seeing another RB that i thought was better nor do i believe they could perform week in week out!

and IMO John White is the most consistent RB in the league! I dont remember seeing another RB that i thought was better nor do i believe they could perform week in week out!

Always wonder how people judge the rest of the league.

I literally have no idea how good any other teams' players are. Unless they stand out and have a really good or really bad game I couldnt make any comment on how good they were, and even then its only one game.

Anyone who had seen Coker against Wimbledon would have thought he was terrible!

It is voted for by the players in December from memory.

Well, if that doesn't make it flawed then I don't know what does!

They vote for the players of the year before we're hardly much more than halfway through the season. :omg:

So, in theory, you could sign a player in January he could then absolutely rip the League apart, score 40 goals in the second half of the season and not even be eligible for player of the year because they've already voted? :hilarious:

You couldn't make this game up, sometimes. :nope:

It is voted on by the players, I'd suggest they'd know best.

Why would the players know best?

The ballot is, IIRC, in January so they've probably seen those who they vote once this season. And if you're playing at right-back, you might be in a better position to vote on who is the best left-winger you came up against this season (assuming they weren't injured or suspended or you faced Gordon Connelly in his one good 45 minutes) but in what sort of position would you be in to judge who was the best right-back you faced?

I'm not even sure that it's limited to players who play in the same division.

I could see the merits in an award judged in May by managers who will scout a team and see players more than once or twice, or an award judged by journalists who cover lower league football and see hundreds of games a year. But the PFA awards are deeply flawed and based on name recognition and reputation not performances.

Why would the players know best?

The ballot is, IIRC, in January so they've probably seen those who they vote once this season. And if you're playing at right-back, you might be in a better position to vote on who is the best left-winger you came up against this season (assuming they weren't injured or suspended or you faced Gordon Connelly in his one good 45 minutes) but in what sort of position would you be in to judge who was the best right-back you faced?

I'm not even sure that it's limited to players who play in the same division.

I could see the merits in an award judged in May by managers who will scout a team and see players more than once or twice, or an award judged by journalists who cover lower league football and see hundreds of games a year. But the PFA awards are deeply flawed and based on name recognition and reputation not performances.

Agreed YB. It also puzzles me that is has to take place so early in the season. The electorate is very small and in a digital age votes could be gathered very quickly indeed.

Never mind - the only prize I want us to win is whatever cruddy little trophy Sky Bet are handing out to the winning team on May 26th.

I'm not sure I get the issue here. This is the PFA Team of the year. The clue is in the name. The players vote on their peers. It doesn't mean anything and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I'm sure some of the players will be upset at being left out of the team, but they should use the playoffs to ram that down their peers' throats.

Leonard, Hurst and Bentley should all be in there and how Gomis has been overlooked I dont know.

Wouldn't say Hurst should be in there, he's still been contributing assists but he's not been as good as last season, particularly recently he's been a bit quiet.

Thought Bentley might have been in there but there have been quite a few games where he's not had a lot to do so maybe he's not impressed enough different opposition teams? I'm sure some of the Fleetwood players would've voted for him after Saturday. Tommy Lee is a good keeper though.

Leonard definitely should've been in there, he's been consistently good all season and has dominated midfields. Surprised he wasn't selected but then again we don't usually get anyone in it and there are only usually 3/4 different teams represented. 3 out of the back 5 came from Chesterfield. Is there not a young player of the season award outside the Premier League?

By the way, well done to Assombalonga on being selected for the League 1 team!

Last edited:
Back