• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So many prolific strikers over my years of watching but most of them were in the first 22 rather than the last 22 years. Rob Newman has a better goal ratio than some of those names.

Drewe is part of a long list of names of players where I could never understand the plaudits. I give you Che Wilson with one notably excepted game.

Graeme Jones, who incredibly will be facing England at the World Cup as Belgium's assistant coach. I remember Rob Newman bigged him up as a 20-goal striker when he signed him and then he took months to score his first goal.

Graeme Jones, who incredibly will be facing England at the World Cup as Belgium's assistant coach. I remember Rob Newman bigged him up as a 20-goal striker when he signed him and then he took months to score his first goal.

Didn't he once take the ball off another player so he could take a penalty, then miss it?

Gary Hooper. The fact he scored just two goals for us and then went on and scored all those goals for Scunthorpe and Celtic just made me feel sick.

Ranger averages a league goal every 3 matches for us (3.054)
Cox is 2.48 matches
Robinson 3.45 matches (mainly from his loan spell I suspect!)
Fortune 3.70 matches
Dave Mooney 3.77 matches

Top of the list*
Corr 2.14 matches

*(From when accurate records of minutes played are available c2005)

And Corr ran through brick walls for the club and played through a whole host of injuries. Ranger's work ethic and respect for the supporters who pay his wages (missing the bus to MK Dons a casing point!) is a disgrace compared to a legend like BBBC.

Cox is 2.48 matches
Fortune 3.70 matches
Dave Mooney 3.77 matches

I question these statistics. Ranger has scored 9 goals in 40 appearances (13 as sub) which is once every 4.44 games. Fortune last season scored 5 in 32, worse than one every six games. The undeniable fact is that we have a quartet of strikers who are all less than prolific. Neither Fortune nor Ranger have ever reached double figures in an English league season, Robinson not since 2011/2012 and Cox's haul last season was atypical, in that it was the only time since 2008/9 he has achieved this. To sign up four non scoring strikers is asking for trouble, which is what we are now in when it comes to scoring goals. The best we can hope for this season is mid table and that is not guaranteed. It's a long hard slog to the end of the season, and how many of our veteran defenders are equipped to last another twenty odd games without recurring injury problems, suspensions etc.

Cox is 2.48 matches
Fortune 3.70 matches
Dave Mooney 3.77 matches

I question these statistics. Ranger has scored 9 goals in 40 appearances (13 as sub) which is once every 4.44 games. Fortune last season scored 5 in 32, worse than one every six games. The undeniable fact is that we have a quartet of strikers who are all less than prolific. Neither Fortune nor Ranger have ever reached double figures in an English league season, Robinson not since 2011/2012 and Cox's haul last season was atypical, in that it was the only time since 2008/9 he has achieved this. To sign up four non scoring strikers is asking for trouble, which is what we are now in when it comes to scoring goals. The best we can hope for this season is mid table and that is not guaranteed. It's a long hard slog to the end of the season, and how many of our veteran defenders are equipped to last another twenty odd games without recurring injury problems, suspensions etc.

The statistics I gave are per 90 minutes. You cut off the bit when I mentioned minutes played. Neither Ranger nor Fortune regularly play 90 minutes whether because they are a sub or lack the stamina to complete a full game. Fortune's average league appearance is for 50 minutes; Ranger's 62 minutes.

The non-scoring striker thing is in my opinion more about a team not creating chances and/or not playing to that striker's strengths. Has a forward ever managed 20 goals in a season in one of our current manager's sides?

The non-scoring striker thing is in my opinion more about a team not creating chances and/or not playing to that striker's strengths. Has a forward ever managed 20 goals in a season in one of our current manager's sides?

BBBC with 16 goals in 2014/15 and Cox also with 16 last year were the best I could find; Craig Fagin got 15 the year Hull went up to the Premier League.

Back