• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It could possibly have been against Coventry at Roots Hall on 11 May 1963. Lou was playing and Coventry's goal was an own goal. Peter Goy was in goal. My recollection is of Lou hammering a 25+ yard back pass towards Goy from the right back positon towards the North Bank and it flying into the net. It's along time ago though.

:smile: Quality! .. Ironically, it sounds like something straight out of an Abbott & Costello movie!

Of course, that wouldn't happen in this day and age. We don't possess anyone who can hit the target that accurately!

Who remembers when Keith Dublin was stuck up front ... my god, those song know just how far we've come .. some of the older ones on here have experienced such fascinating times .. not good fascinating either !

LOL :smile: .. I do.

It was like watching a baby deer learning how to walk for the first time!

Who remembers when Keith Dublin was stuck up front ... my god, those song know just how far we've come .. some of the older ones on here have experienced such fascinating times .. not good fascinating either !

Poor old Dubbers -much maligned. Player of the year in 96/97 always gave 110% and played 175 league games for us. His best spell up front was when Steve Thompson took over from Peter Taylor and he kept us in the Second tier in 94/95. Gary Jones found out how to score with Dubbers up front with him. Fascinatiing was certainly good those few games.

My best memory of him is when he appeared to pull a hamstring. He did one very long stretch and carried on playing. Brown would have loved him.

We've tried a few defenders up front over the years. I can recall Tony Hadley having a go a few times, the lumbering Rob Newman was quite successful and a fullback called Booby King had a go in the 60s.

Last edited:
Sounds glorious.

This might be a whole new thread, but I think the best Southend own goal was Tilly at Portsmouth, It was Andy Thompsons debut and he'd scored twice; but Tilly contributed to Pompey's 4-2 win. As he ran back towards goal, the ball came to him and he went to clear it out for a corner, and proceeded to side foot his clearance into the top corner, the shape of his body and the way he struck it, it look like an expert finish.

Poor old Dubbers -much maligned. Player of the year in 96/97 always gave 110% and played 175 league games for us. His best spell up front was when Steve Thompson took over from Peter Taylor and he kept us in the Second tier in 94/95. Gary Jones found out how to score with Dubbers up front with him. Fascinatiing was certainly good those few games.

My best memory of him is when he appeared to pull a hamstring. He did one very long stretch and carried on playing. Brown would have loved him.

We've tried a few defenders up front over the years. I can recall Tony Hadley having a go a few times, the lumbering Rob Newman was quite successful and a fullback called Booby King had a go in the 60s.
How about Ray Brand?He could, ahem, impose himself on defenders and scored a few goals too.

Anyone remember Jim Conway? Norman Bleanch?

Yes, I remember Conway getting 7 goals in 7 matches (far from shoddy!) - admittedly he was a slow starter !

As for Bleanch he only played three games and two of them were away !

Yes, I remember Conway getting 7 goals in 7 matches (far from shoddy!) - admittedly he was a slow starter !

Very strange stats for Conway.Took him 9 games to score his first goal, then as you say got 7 in 7 and then only two more in 15 appearances.Bleanch another strange one.Home game against Bradford, first of the season then signed for them after three games for the Blues but only played for them 9 times. Wonder if he had a career ending injury or just didn't make the grade.

This might be a whole new thread, but I think the best Southend own goal was Tilly at Portsmouth, It was Andy Thompsons debut and he'd scored twice; but Tilly contributed to Pompey's 4-2 win. As he ran back towards goal, the ball came to him and he went to clear it out for a corner, and proceeded to side foot his clearance into the top corner, the shape of his body and the way he struck it, it look like an expert finish.

Sammy vs Oxford, threw it in his own net. Made it onto an "own goals and gaff" Danny Baker compilation Video

Nah, the best own goal was when Sammy threw the ball into his own net.

It was indeed a masterstroke removing Donkey Dublin from the centre of defence. Steve Thompson quite rightly worked out that if he could cause half as much chaos in the opposition penalty area as he did in ours we would have a potent attacking force.

I seem to remember there being a whole season when all 80+ goals we conceded seemed to feature an out of position Dubbers pointing at the player he should have been marking/space he should have been occupying.

I think Tilly scored an own goal opening day of the season two years in a row.

I have vague recollections of a Spinner header from outside his own area against Bournemouth.

Nah, the best own goal was when Sammy threw the ball into his own net.

Stop it, you'll encourage Jonny Stokes onto the thread.

Anyone remember Jim Conway? Norman Bleanch?

Very strange stats for Conway.Took him 9 games to score his first goal, then as you say got 7 in 7 and then only two more in 15 appearances.Bleanch another strange one.Home game against Bradford, first of the season then signed for them after three games for the Blues but only played for them 9 times. Wonder if he had a career ending injury or just didn't make the grade.
Jim Conway made just 34 appearances for Southend United after joining from Norwich City before leaving for Partick Thistle. 31 in the league, 2 league cup & 1 F.A.Cup. In those matches Blues won 10, drew 9 & lost 15. Jim scored 9 league goals & 1 league cup goal. What is quite unique regarding Jim's goals tally is that Blues were triumphant in every match that Jim scored in which are as follows:-1963-64.Crystal Palace(H)2-1(1); Queens Park Rangers(A)5-4(2); Oldham Athletic(A)3-0(1); Peterborough United(H)2-0(2); Crewe Alexandra(A)2-1(1); Notts. County(H)3-1(1); 1964-65.Barnsley(H)2-0(1); League Cup Hull City(H)3-1(1). The two other matches when Southend United won and Jim didn't score were played in the middle of March 1964 when Blues thrashed Coventry City(Champions Elect)5-2 at Highfield Road with goals from Mike Beesley(2), Gilfillan,Bradbury & Woodley with almost 29,000 in attendance. Three days later Blues beat Brentford 2-1 with another brace from Mike Beesley.

Back