• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimper

Life President
Simple question.

Do you give them contracts for next season? Eastwood is struggling to score (Although it could be said that he doesn't get much of a run out often - regardless - not great totals this season despite his injury) and Barnard is yet to score since coming back. In my opinion I would have expected to score at least once by now.

So, do you give them contracts next season based on their current performances or do you let them go?

Perhaps Barnard could be given a few more games mind but I don't see him improving at this rate. I hope he does improve though.

Simple question.

Do you give them contracts for next season? Eastwood is struggling to score (Although it could be said that he doesn't get much of a run out often - regardless - not great totals this season despite his injury) and Barnard is yet to score since coming back. In my opinion I would have expected to score at least once by now.

So, do you give them contracts next season based on their current performances or do you let them go?

Perhaps Barnard could be given a few more games mind but I don't see him improving at this rate. I hope he does improve though.
I don't feel they have warranted contracts... We need pace .... Neither of these have it.....time for someone new

As much as they are both former favourites, a club legend in Freddy's case I would say quite clearly NO.

Very scary but I Heard this evening (unreliable sources probably) that Barnard is on £10k a week @ Southampton. Not the first time I have heard this.

As sad as it is there are a few good servants who need releasing this summer - in addition to the above forwards, I think Phillips is shot. It was never as evident as this evening, his lack of passing ability is now a bigger issue as his defensive lapses are becoming more frequent. He was at fault for both goals this evening - the tv highlights do not show how slow he was on that second goal.

We we also have many players who need ousting once their contracts end - Smith, Bennett, Straker, Gomis, for a start.

As much as they are both former favourites, a club legend in Freddy's case I would say quite clearly NO.

Very scary but I Heard this evening (unreliable sources probably) that Barnard is on £10k a week @ Southampton. Not the first time I have heard this.

Lee Barnard will never get another contract like that again. He knows that, Southampton know that and that's why he has stayed there as long as he has - and fair play to him.

Freddy Eastwood will be here next season if he wants to be, IMO.

Last edited:

As sad as it is there are a few good servants who need releasing this summer - in addition to the above forwards, I think Phillips is shot. It was never as evident as this evening, his lack of passing ability is now a bigger issue as his defensive lapses are becoming more frequent. He was at fault for both goals this evening - the tv highlights do not show how slow he was on that second goal.

We we also have many players who need ousting once their contracts end - Smith, Bennett, Straker, Gomis, for a start.

Why is that scary?

We wont be paying him that, doesnt matter what he earned in the past.

Tricky one with both, I think if Barnard can stay clear of injuries he could be useful, but Eastwood just isnt playing enough. If either of them are here it will be on vastly reduced contracts I'm sure.

Bit harsh on Bennett, he's had a serious injury which isn't his fault. Phillps had the same problem in his first season then went on to be player of the year! The rest I agree with, even though Straker has had a much improved season I'd rather we got another proper winger in who will take the pressure off Hurst.

Agree with Beefy, Eastwood will be here if he wants to be, but it wouldn't surprise me if he called it a day. As for Barnard, w should not sign him imho, signing past heroes may provide a morale boost & sell a few more shirts but they have nothing to prove here. Although there are always exceptions to rules *coughSpencerPriorcough*

No professional club will offer contracts to any player who would fail their medical,Fred would fail all day long and won't be offered new terms or maybe pay as you play deal,Barnard needs to get his finger out if he wants any deal and I would be stunned if Corr was offered new terms.

I think the bigger concern is were they actually signed / wanted by PB or has RM been interfering ?

No professional club will offer contracts to any player who would fail their medical,Fred would fail all day long and won't be offered new terms or maybe pay as you play deal,Barnard needs to get his finger out if he wants any deal and I would be stunned if Corr was offered new terms.
WTF is wrong with Corr ? Why doesn't he deserve a new contract ? You do post some *****

Corr signed a 2yr deal in the summer.

Exactly my point when his deal expires I doubt he will get another deal.
You must have a very big crystal ball if you can predict how Corr is going to perform over the next 18 months, to date he's actually been one of the best signings we have made in recent years, that doesn't mean he's a world beater but this is SUFC not Barcelona

You must have a very big crystal ball if you can predict how Corr is going to perform over the next 18 months, to date he's actually been one of the best signings we have made in recent years, that doesn't mean he's a world beater but this is SUFC not Barcelona

No he had one brilliant season then missed 17 months and so far his scoring record since returning from injury has not been too clever especially in league games,Does he warrant another contract IMO no but then I don't actually have to offer the deals.

No he had one brilliant season then missed 17 months and so far his scoring record since returning from injury has not been too clever especially in league games,Does he warrant another contract IMO no but then I don't actually have to offer the deals.
He offers far more than just goals, same as Goater, Gray etc. Would we have got promotion without them ? NO

As this thread is about Fred and Lee I will keep my comments to them only. New contracts next season? Lee yes, Fred, no. I have always been a great believer that Fred would come good since his injury but reluctantly I now think that he is no longer at the races. His greatest asset has been scoring goals and that he is not now doing. I have no idea what the reason is for that, but Brown obviously feels he can't do 90 minutes and he is not making an impact as an impact sub. So the time is rapidly approaching where enough is enough. It has got nothing to do with pace, or lack of it so I can't subscribe to those posters that keep banging on about it on here.

Lee Barnard is a different matter. If he is not injured and only match rusty then he will come good. You don’t become a bad player overnight, but the longer you go without regular games the more the confidence and match sharpness gets eroded. Give him games and a full pre season and I believe he will return to the asset he was when he was last at the Blues.

Back