• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Lee Barnard...

not as un-common as you think especially in southend. but fair point, its never as straight forward as the paper makes. for all we know they may have tried to do the same to him. we'll never know.

The Southampton fans on another football forum seem to think it's an open and shut case... Barnard had had five or six too many and lashed out when someone said something to him. Somebody claimed to be at the bar and said that the guy had told Barney to calm down, but that's completely unsubstantiated.

I wouldn't expect him to see time, although I do think a judge would be tempted to given the crime and the culprit.

David Amess's son saw time for a similar case in Talk didn't he?

Yep the amount of fights EVERY weekend it's just boring! Blokes get a bit angry! THE END!

I wonder if you'd be so blase about someone glassing your best mate? Or is this just because it's Barney? Blokes who get a bit angry after a few pints then should drink a few pints of fizzy pop.

Yep the amount of fights EVERY weekend it's just boring! Blokes get a bit angry! THE END!

I'd like to think that if somebody bottled me in a nightclub, regardless of how many times it happens in a weekend, that the bloke would be punished accordingly.

I wonder if you'd be so blase about someone glassing your best mate? Or is this just because it's Barney?

I'd like to think that if somebody bottled me in a nightclub, regardless of how many times it happens in a weekend, that the bloke would be punished accordingly.

No of course not, a lot has happened to lots of mates of mine, I'm definitely not blase about that kind of thing! But I suppose the point I'm getting at is 'Who actually cares?' Bored of the fascination of Premiership footballer's lives, let alone League 1 players'! Of course Barney should be punished in some way! But you also don't actually know what happened, the bloke might have been really threatening, or abusive, you just don't know do you ?

I actually am not a fan of Barney! As it ****ed me off how he used us as a stepping stone after 6 good months!

Last edited:
My Southampton supporting friends are very worried about this. Allegedly he glassed some, then alledgedly went back and glassed him again - he will be lucky if they don't charge him with attempted murder!!

These stories do get blown out of proportion and the media intensify the speculation with wild accusations, however, seems he is banged to rights, otherwise they would have dropped the case today.

My Southampton supporting friends are very worried about this. Allegedly he glassed some, then alledgedly went back and glassed him again - he will be lucky if they don't charge him with attempted murder!!

These stories do get blown out of proportion and the media intensify the speculation with wild accusations, however, seems he is banged to rights, otherwise they would have dropped the case today.

That's the first time I've heard that he glassed the guy twice. The only variation I've been told is to what caused it, allegedly he responded to someone mouthing off at Harding whereas others say it was directed at him. I also heard it was a Bournemouth fan that he attacked, which would've been infinitely worse for Barnard.

If he did indeed glass him twice, then it's pretty much case closed. It'd be hard to make an attempted murder case stick I'd imagine, but he'd be lucky to not receive a sentence of some kind.

Last edited:

Yep, you just do not know what actually happened, the media love to make crimes involving footballers seem completely worse.

The bloke that he 'attacked' could have deserved this! Glassing people isn't really the best way to go about things though! They'll probably be best mates in the next week!

It seems that 'saintsweb' their main messageboard is refusing to discuss Barnard's case in case there are legal writs taken out against them!

Back