• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OiRef

Except from todays Yorkshire Evening Post

Leeds United's new season is in serious doubt today after Ken Bates failed to head off a legal challenge at the city's High Court

An appeal by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs against the resale of United to Mr Bates and Leeds United Football Club Ltd by administrators KPMG will not be decided until September - three weeks after the opening day of the 2007-08 League One campaign.

A five-day hearing, which is due to begin in Leeds on September 3 will see witnesses from both KPMG and Leeds United called to give evidence, and be cross-examined.

HMRC launched a legal challenge on Tuesday against the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) proposed by Leeds United Football Club Ltd and accepted by the Club's creditors at a meeting on June 1.

HMRC's grounds for appeal are based on procedural matters relating to the way in which KPMG conducted the creditors' vote. The court today ordered KPMG to submit their evidence by August 3, eight days before United start the new League One season against Tranmere Rovers. HMRC must submit their reply to KPMG's evidence no later than August 20.

The case will then be argued during a hearing in Leeds two weeks later.

But barrister Louis Doyle, representing KPMG told the court that HMRC's appeal against the CVA would threaten to prevent United from starting the season.

The proposed take-over by Mr Bates would require the approval of the Football League before United's share in the league is transferred to the new company in charge of Elland Road, Leeds United Football Club Ltd.

The Football League requires clubs in administration to secure a CVA before their share is transferred. The league however recently revealed that they are able to bypass that rule in 'exceptional circumstances'.

But Mr Doyle told the court that the league had informed KPMG that United's circumstances were not considered to be exceptional and a CVA would still be required. Mr Doyle said: "The cessation of these proceedings will actually stop Leeds playing at the start of the season.

"It remains to be seen what approach the league may take to that."

KPMG could decide to scrap the CVA proposed by Mr Bates and Leeds United Football Club Ltd and seek new buyers for United. But Mr Doyle told the court that the search for new buyers would also drag into the new season.

Listing the case for the earliest opportunity the High Court judge, Mr Justice Patten said: "One hopes that Leeds can play football in the coming season but all I can do is get this hearing on as soon as possible."

Tragic

:hilarious: :hilarious:

Oh well at least we could in theory have at least 3 points from the opening two games, if the points are forefeited..

Breaks my heart ..................................NOT.:)

Ex Leeds chairman Gerald Krasner has just been interviewed on SSN and stated that he believes there are a number of people working in the background to try & steal control of the club (& the CVA) from Ken Bates and that it is highly probable a number of these bidders will come together in a multi-million pound consortium to settle the CVA and allow Leeds United FC to live another day!

I wonder what the League's rules are on this - this could drag on so I would assume the FL would want to avoid postponing them... perhaps they would award the win to opposition teams due to failure to fulfil fixtures?

As Leeds are such a "massive club" i'm sure they will sneak their way out of this again somehow..

Makes you sick.

I hope they crash and burn

I wonder what the League's rules are on this - this could drag on so I would assume the FL would want to avoid postponing them... perhaps they would award the win to opposition teams due to failure to fulfil fixtures?

I think they'll see sense, cancel the games and award the points to Leeds on the basis that they're a big club and would have won anyway.

;)

Just remember what nearly happened to a club with a Chairman whose name was Anton!

Regardless of opinions of teams & their fans, nobody should have to go through what the likes of Maidstone, Newport County, Aldershot, Scarborough, Middlesborough (They got lucky! Look at their badge & see how they got around it!) etc etc

The footballing game is being taken away from the ordinary man & served on a silver platter for the Corporate w@nkers who only look at the game as a high priced p!ss up & have no interest in the game! The corporate bubble will burst one day!

Save the game, regardless of who the team are. Remember the rumours from a few years ago that Bates wanted to finish Leeds due to his hatred of them from his Chelsea days. Dennis Wise had footage played to him of him saying how much he hated Leeds & what their people stood for!!

Just remember what nearly happened to a club with a Chairman whose name was Anton!

Regardless of opinions of teams & their fans, nobody should have to go through what the likes of Maidstone, Newport County, Aldershot, Scarborough, Middlesborough (They got lucky! Look at their badge & see how they got around it!) etc etc

The footballing game is being taken away from the ordinary man & served on a silver platter for the Corporate w@nkers who only look at the game as a high priced p!ss up & have no interest in the game! The corporate bubble will burst one day!

Save the game, regardless of who the team are. Remember the rumours from a few years ago that Bates wanted to finish Leeds due to his hatred of them from his Chelsea days. Dennis Wise had footage played to him of him saying how much he hated Leeds & what their people stood for!!

Couldn't agree more!!

No it means that any of the so called "knights in shining armour" can prove they have the money & put forward a better offer than Master Bates. If Bates puts forward the best offer then he "wins."

Whoever wins must have the finances to ensure Leeds can operate & start the new season. If not, they are history!

Back