• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Left Back - will he wiggle it??

Tampa Blue

Director⭐
Total conjecture on my part and not based on any fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Chris Powell as first choice left back while still trying to sign Charlie Mulgrew (who has the best left foot that I've seen at the Blues).

It could be, as Powelly still needs to play as he is the Players Rep on the PFA - if he packs it in then he has to give up this role.
Herd is a great prospect by all acounts, but this is probably a season too soon for a regular starting spot so a one year apprenticeship behind Powelly would teach him loads. Why not offer Powell a 1 year playing contract with a coaching role as I hear that he is keen to move in to Management.

From all the rumours out there , I believe that there is a real likelihood that Gower will go to Swansea and therefore why couldn't Mulgrew replace him as LM - doesn't he play in midfield for Scotland U-21's?
I know that he probably wouldn't get the same number of goals as Gower from open play, but his pace and crossing are at least the equal of Gowers imo.

This is all probably total rubbish as I'm bored at work, but personally I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Mulgrew is a centre-midfielder being played out of position at left back. If he signs it wouldn't overly surprise me if we still went for another left-back and, as you say, Chris Powell could give us some of the experience we've lost at the back since Spinner left.

Must admit, was wondering about this myself a while back when Sir Chris was first subject of rumour.

Chris Powell would be a great addition, especially as you say Mulgrew is a centre mid which I never knew. Think it may just be rumour though?

I've said it before I don't want to see Chris Powell back as a player, I wouldn't want my SUFC memories of him spoilt if he is now on a downward curve as a player.

Chris Powell is a top pro and would not carry on playing if he honestly thought he couldn'y hack it at this level at his age , FWIW i think he'd be a superb capture and would welcome his calming , experienced and general positive character back to the hall.

I've said it before I don't want to see Chris Powell back as a player, I wouldn't want my SUFC memories of him spoilt if he is now on a downward curve as a player.

I know Charlton fans who have said that on both previous occasions that he's left the Valley. Then he always comes back and reminds everyone what a solid Pro he is. He was supposedly still one of the fittest players that Charlton had last season and probably has at least one season left for someone.

I'd love to see Chrissy Powell back at the Hall but have to see Mulgrew as a priority signing considering his contribution at the back-end of last season. We need to build a young side and although Chrissy is a legend i'd rather we signed a player that will help us progress and stick around than a player we could get realistically only get one more season out of.

i'd love to see chrissy powell back at the hall. still a top pro and could def do a job in this division.

Back