• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Left-wing Journalist Is A Very Silly Boy Shock

Reg Martin

No Relation
Independent columnist Johann Hari has admitted copying the work of others (including it would seem Ann Leslie of the Daily Mail) to improve his articles.
He has also apologised for editing the Wikipedia entries of people he had clashed with, using the pseudonym David Rose, "I took out nasty passages about people I admire – like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot, Deborah Orr and Yasmin Alibhai-Brown … but in a few instances, I edited the entries of people I had clashed with in ways that were juvenile or malicious: I called one of them antisemitic and homophobic, and the other a drunk."

There couldn't have been much content left on the Polly Toynbee page.

Toynbee, moaning about poverty, whilst living in relative luxury?

ps Hari's a berk. He also "improved" interviews by using quotes from interviewee's works rather than actual quotes said.

Yeah Hari is a complete prat.

What's wrong with fighting against poverty, even if you are wealthy? I guess it comes down to "can the poor be better off without the rich being worse off" argument, I'm not sure about the answer really.

Yeah Hari is a complete prat.

What's wrong with fighting against poverty, even if you are wealthy? I guess it comes down to "can the poor be better off without the rich being worse off" argument, I'm not sure about the answer really.

A fair question. Though perhaps more acknowledgement they (we?) are wealthy and giving away more of it may be part of the answer

Littlejohn's apology was better

fwi2c2.jpg

A fair question. Though perhaps more acknowledgement they (we?) are wealthy and giving away more of it may be part of the answer

I guess it's part of the old adage that there IS enough food in the world, it's just not equally distributed. Someone like Bill Gates gives away ********s but will still get criticised... People generally don't like people richer than them! Jealousy is a terrible thing.

I guess it's part of the old adage that there IS enough food in the world, it's just not equally distributed. Someone like Bill Gates gives away ********s but will still get criticised... People generally don't like people richer than them! Jealousy is a terrible thing.

Don't disagree with what you say here and some people may give privately rather than publically.
I think though that the impression of double-standards or arrogance can do a lot of harm to someone's cause thouhg.
Union leaders on generous salaries and pension schemes complaining about 'fat cats' or wealthy, public-school /oxbridge educated journalists getting indignant about inequality are always going to struggle to get themselves taken seriously.

Religious leaders making public utterances about moral issues whilst their colleagues are engaged in immoral and illegal activities, which the church then tries to cover up in collusion with its head, is another that sticks in the craw.

Religious leaders making public utterances about moral issues whilst their colleagues are engaged in immoral and illegal activities, which the church then tries to cover up in collusion with its head, is another that sticks in the craw.

I agree, the biggest struggle I have had with belief in God is the conduct of some His self-proclaimed followers.

Billy Bragg made a good point - while Hari may have been stupid, at least he didn't break the law and hack into a dead girl's phone like some right wing journalists.

Billy Bragg made a good point - while Hari may have been stupid, at least he didn't break the law and hack into a dead girl's phone like some right wing journalists.

To me that's the tribal mentality about politics that alienates so many people.
What the Bard of Dorset appears to be saying is that "Someone on my side made up quotes, copied other people's articles without acknowledging it, used a pseudonym to falsify entries about people he disagreed with in wikipedia and to be abusive to other people, but, hey, we're alright really because someone on the other side did something far worse".
No-one can defend what the NoW did (and let's not forget that Blair-era Labour party sucked up to the Murdoch empire as much as the Conservatives ever have) but if that's the best defence the left can come up with, I think the response of many people might be 'a plague on both your houses'.

Back