• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Legal question.

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Read carefully. This hasn't happened to me but I just wondered what the position would be.

I pull into a service station. A sign says "It is an offence to fuel your car without the means to pay" or similar. So I put £50 in. I go to pay with a £50 note - all I have on me at the time -and the staff tell me "We don't accept £50 notes".

Now - I have offered the Queen's currency i.e. legal tender and it has been refused. I offer my name and address (genuine). I cannot give the petrol back so where, legally, do I stand?

No legal expert, but I would have thought unless they display that at the pumps they can't enforce it at the till. I would be surprised if it happened at a petrol station to be honest, it's more the kind of thing you get at smaller, independent types of shops. Most retailers know, or should do, how to check a note properly, and if they don't, then they should have someone they can refer to, their local bank branch if open by phone for instance.

If it happened to me and there was no sign at the pumps, I think I'd be quite happy for them to call the police as you've offered to pay with legal currency and I'm sure they'd be in the wrong.

They cannot refuse legal tender. Even Scottish ones, hence the word LEGAL.

Suggest you transfer £50 into pennies and pay the ***** in that.

Read carefully. This hasn't happened to me but I just wondered what the position would be.

I pull into a service station. A sign says "It is an offence to fuel your car without the means to pay" or similar. So I put £50 in. I go to pay with a £50 note - all I have on me at the time -and the staff tell me "We don't accept £50 notes".

Now - I have offered the Queen's currency i.e. legal tender and it has been refused. I offer my name and address (genuine). I cannot give the petrol back so where, legally, do I stand?

I believe that's the key point. Had you spent £2, and tried paying with a £50 note, then I believe it's not classified as legal tender, ie can be refused as such (this may be out of date, pretty sure that used to be the law though). However, offering a £50 to pay for £50 of goods I don't see that they can have much cause for complaint.

I believe that's the key point. Had you spent £2, and tried paying with a £50 note, then I believe it's not classified as legal tender, ie can be refused as such (this may be out of date, pretty sure that used to be the law though). However, offering a £50 to pay for £50 of goods I don't see that they can have much cause for complaint.

I'm not too sure about that (like you), but how can legal tender not be legal tender. Providing the note isn't a forgery the vendor should honour the value of the note and give change accordingly.

I got involved in an altercation with a bus driver at Benfleet Station a few weeks back. A school girl got on and offered her correct fare but in copper and small denomination silver. The driver refused to accept it (probably because he couldn't be arsed to count it) and told the lass to get off. I was standing behind her and told her to stay put and told the driver to issue the ticket, which with incredibly bad grace he did.

I'm not too sure about that (like you), but how can legal tender not be legal tender. Providing the note isn't a forgery the vendor should honour the value of the note and give change accordingly.

I got involved in an altercation with a bus driver at Benfleet Station a few weeks back. A school girl got on and offered her correct fare but in copper and small denomination silver. The driver refused to accept it (probably because he couldn't be arsed to count it) and told the lass to get off. I was standing behind her and told her to stay put and told the driver to issue the ticket, which with incredibly bad grace he did.
Good for you Harry! They do try and bully people sometimes don't they on buses these days?

I know that up to 20p in copper is legal tender - any more than that, the recipient is entitled to refuse.

No such trouble for you Harry with that OAP bus pass :winking:

I'd probably tell the person they were welcome to take their petrol back if they preferred. Garage attendants fall into the same bracket as Librarians and Doctor's Secretaries for me; awful people. Its winding me up just thinking about it.

If they give you any trouble next time you go to pay for fuel make sure you are wearing a crash helmet and carrying a cucumber wrapped in a bin bag.

The staff at Sue Ryder in Rayleigh learnt the hard way not to mess with Rudi.

Nice one Harry - that girl will remember you doing that for her one day.

You should be fine - I've not had a problem using a fifty apart from in a cab at 10am - and I completely acknowledge that it was ****-ish of me to expect a cab driver to have change at that time. I'd imagine its only smaller independents who havent got a checker pen where youd have problems.

Love it, Go Harry Brown!!!

Well done H! :clap:

Under the Theft Act 1968 a person is is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

In your hypothetical situation there's clearly no dishonesty.

Back