• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Legendary commentator John Motson recalls his freezing night watching Southend United draw with Liverpool

I was in the south bank. One of only two times I remember that stand being packed out, the other was v West Ham and I was in there for that one too. Most of the time that stand had one man and his dog standing on it, while the north bank chanted abuse at the imagined hoards of away fans up the other end. The dog must have wondered what it had done to upset them. Particularly as it was a shrimper. Ok I made the dog up, but you catch my drift..

I use to go out with a girl that worked at Aquatels hotel now Bas Fest, where the Liverpool team where staying and got me in to chat to the Liverpool team, in them days they were sportsman and loved to meet the fans, Ray Kennedy especially friendly and spoke about his Arsenal day with affection
One of their greats didn't disappointed Emlyn Hughes was as nice as you saw on TV. Steve Heighway spoke with affection for the match as he knew how much it meant to the fans as he came from Skermersdale club before Liverpool
I was 18 and only there for an hour but made welcome and have a soft spot still for them, cannot imagine it happening into days world sadly, bigger egos and bigger wallets
the game is totally changed. Money and also ‘professionalism’. For me that’s the physically exerts which now seem almost unbelievable

Back