• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Legendary commentator John Motson recalls his freezing night watching Southend United draw with Liverpool

Many years ago the club arranged Sportsman dinners in the bar to raise funds . That was when we were really hard up. As I recall John Motson was the after dinner speaker at the very first dinner and I still have his signed photo. The comedian to follow was Bob the Cat Bevan and they were excellent evenings. Many famous names spoke at subsequent dinners Jackie Charlton Fred Trueman Nobby Stiles to name but a few.

I was at the match. It was a bit chilly but being surrounded by hundreds of others made it a bit warmer

I used to teach a night class in those days and it was so frustrating to have to work when we were on tv - I couldn’t believe the 0-0 when I got home for the final few minutes!

i was there in the south bank along with what seemed a million people as i was only 10 in 79.. and it was freezing..it was a big standing elevation setting back and i remember standing/trying to stand on the scaffold handrail supports dotted around the south bank.. look at us now! not far away for going bust mr Martin.

Click on to read.
southend-1068and1069-clem282-neal-387.jpg

Same as a lot of you, I was in the South Bank that night.
CURqlFMXIAACI05

DVcl3N7XUAAHzxY.jpg

Last edited:
Middle of South Bank right behind the goal. As others remember Parker right thru on goal but just got too close to Clements and couldn't dink it over him- only other chance I remember was Colin Morris. Conditions didn't really suit Liverpool but we put up a decent show on the replay as well.

Remember this home game well, standing in the middle of the South Bank as part of our record Roots Hall attendance of 31,033, and the trip to the away game at Anfield with 37,797.

Great Memories.

Normally before the game you (i would) pop into the Spread or Lion and have a few beers with muckers..but this game.,i did not need a beer...,like most i was drunk with the build up/atmosphere of THIS game....as a one off game....it will NEVER be bettered...

We sold out for the game (32,000 tickets I think). I got there late and was still queuing to get into the South Bank mid-way through the first half. Eventually they just opened the main gate and we went in without going through the turnstiles. Official attendance of 31,033 but probably more than 32,000. I'm guessing some managed to bunk in or joined the end of the South bank queue when they saw the gate being opened !

Normally before the game you (i would) pop into the Spread or Lion and have a few beers with muckers..but this game.,i did not need a beer...,like most i was drunk with the build up/atmosphere of THIS game....as a one off game....it will NEVER be bettered...
The only downside of the evening was that Liverpool had The North Bank .

I use to go out with a girl that worked at Aquatels hotel now Bas Fest, where the Liverpool team where staying and got me in to chat to the Liverpool team, in them days they were sportsman and loved to meet the fans, Ray Kennedy especially friendly and spoke about his Arsenal day with affection
One of their greats didn't disappointed Emlyn Hughes was as nice as you saw on TV. Steve Heighway spoke with affection for the match as he knew how much it meant to the fans as he came from Skermersdale club before Liverpool
I was 18 and only there for an hour but made welcome and have a soft spot still for them, cannot imagine it happening into days world sadly, bigger egos and bigger wallets

Back